Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The One That Got Away

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    I can not for the life of me understand how I missed the UK proof of Different Seasons on Bett's website. Whoever got it if they want to sell it ever-think of me!
    I happened to be on my computer the afternoon David started listing the most recent consignment. I noticed only a few listings so I started hitting refresh every two or three minutes and watched the list grow. As soon as I saw something I wanted I sent an e-mail. I got about four nice items including the UK DIFFERENT SEASONS proof.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That's great Bob! When I saw the listing for the first time David had uploaded the items up to and including PET SEMATARY I think, and I sent my email about 5 minutes later but I had no way of knowing which items had already been spoken for. I ended up changing my shopping list a bit and now I also have four nice items coming, all on layaway.

What other items did you get, Bob? If you don't mind sharing of course.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post

What other items did you get, Bob? If you don't mind sharing of course.
    Nothing too rare besides the UK DIFFERENT SEASONS proof. I got the signed and dated (11/8/83) copy of PET SEMATARY, the yellow THE TALISMAN proof and the UK INSOMNIA proof. Upgrades mostly.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Sounds good though (the UK INSOMNIA proof was also on my wishlist but I'm always happy when a book I missed out on at least ends up 'in The Corner').

I have the DANSE MACABRE proof, the DIFFERENT SEASONS Viking proof, the SKELETON CREW Putnam proof, and the THINNER NEL proof on layaway. They will fill some important (at least to me) holes in my collection!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Nothing on that list is on my wants list

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Nothing on that list is on my wants list
    Cause you own damn near everything dude!

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Country
    Country Flag

Not even the lettered THE STAND?

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Not even the lettered THE STAND?
    I don't think that one is particularly scarce. Just expensive. And cost doesn't seem to be a factor with the Rabbit!

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that's why I asked. I don't think Alan has a lettered THE STAND yet and he's desperately looking to buy stuff, so....

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

What you don't know wont hurt you.

Country
    Country Flag

You speak in tongues, Rabbit! This lowly Dutchman does not understand you.

Country
    Country Flag

David is too tired to update his website!

Country
    Country Flag

Sudden understanding dawns upon me!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I just heard from my UK contact regarding the UK proof of Full Dark, No Stars. Apparently he was sent a copy but, because Hodder had not updated his address after he moved 20 months ago, it was never delivered. It's out in limbo now. I'm still looking for a copy.

John

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

john,ouch!!!

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The one that got away

It has to have been 10 years or more, but I've always wondered about this one:

Way back in my early days of collecting, Stu listed a unique item on the Betts site that he described as a green, leather bound copy of IT. In the description, he admitted that he didn't know exactly what it was but he speculated that author copies are often presneted this way. He further suggested that Mr. King did not have an author's copy of this particular book (you do the math)

The idea of owning such a copy of one of my favorite books fascinated me but alas the price of $400 was way beyond my means at the time. None-the-less, I've never stopped thinking about it; any chance someone here picked it up and did you ever find out what exactly it was?
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

I think I might know who has that. I'll contact him and see if it is the same one.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Yes, I'm the one who got it. I contacted King at the time to see if it was an author's copy that he didn't have. He told me that it was probably one that the publisher had rebound to give to people within the company. The book smells wonderful and looks great on the shelf. although it has a few scrape marks on the cover. Here are some photos:

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

In a slipcase, no less! Beautiful.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Nice! By the way, Bev... isn't it about time to start a collection thread?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I wouldn't even know where to start. My collection is eclectic and poorly organized, I'm afraid.

Country
    Country Flag

I would be more than happy to see a couple of pics of your bookcases/shelves though. I always love to get a glimpse of what other book lovers read and what they have in their collection!

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think I might know who has that. I'll contact him and see if it is the same one.
    You sir, are a star for following up.

Bev- thanks so much for posting a pic; I'm still sad I missed it, but a 10+ year old mystery is finally put to bed for me. It's even nicer than I imagined it.

Anyone else have a story they want to share about one that got away?
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post

Anyone else have a story they want to share about one that got away?
    When I was in medical school I once dated this nursing student......oh, wait.......you're talking about books aren't you? Never mind.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Love the book, Bev! Any idea how many of those were produced?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast