Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The One That Got Away

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The One That Got Away

I hereby start this thread as a place to whine about all those cool Stephen King collectables that you missed out on. Whether you got sniped at the last minute, or missed out on something all together, this is the place to come and find a shoulder to cry on.

I will begin.....

Today, I was about to bid on a signed first edition of The Girl Who loved Tom Gordon inscribed to Richard (my name) when my computer froze up . One minute after the auction ended, it unfroze, and sold for $81.01!

So not only did I miss a book inscribed to me, but it went super cheap. On top of that, I do not have a signed 1st edition of this book in my collection.

Here is the auction link.....Inscribed TGWLTG

FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tippy, did you have any concerns about the legitimacy since the inscription and sig are different writing implements? That seems very unusual to me.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Oh yeah! I have one from a while ago... a UK proof of Cujo which was sniped out of my hands. And another one that comes to mind is a UK 1st/1st of The Stand (the 1979 version), on which I got outbid by a few meager bucks... this one stung me in particular!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Rick, looking at that signature, I have some doubts about its authenticity. It just doesn't look right. I think you should be glad you missed out on that one!

John

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

ugh - i posted this before, but I lost the lettered Joe Hill Thumbprint because i accidentally cancelled my bid snipe literally moments before.

It sold for $200 less than I would have paid. Still bummed about this. Just more annoyed at myself for not paying attention!!!

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not a King book, but I once passed up a shot at a signed ARC of "Cutthroat" by Michael Slade.

Its so rare, that Slade himself didn't know it existed until it was presented to him at a signing.

I was at work when it ended, and it sold for something like $35.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to list a signed Lettered Thumbprint by Joe Hill Letter "L" for $650 on Sunday, if anyone is interested. It would be the cheapest on Ebay.....
    Mike

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Not a King book, but I once passed up a shot at a signed ARC of "Cutthroat" by Michael Slade.

Its so rare, that Slade himself didn't know it existed until it was presented to him at a signing.

Sorry Eric. What a sweet book for your admirable Slade collection.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Rick, looking at that signature, I have some doubts about its authenticity. It just doesn't look right. I think you should be glad you missed out on that one!

John
    I was not thrilled about the marker signature, but I am 99% sure it is legit.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Mike!!! Nice to see you around. How's life?

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post

Sorry Eric. What a sweet book for your admirable Slade collection.
    Yah, I wasn't collecting his proofs at that point, but it was still a neat item that I wanted. It has grown over the last few years into an extremely regretful loss. I know the guy who owns it, but he ain't giving it up.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

At first thought, I figured that I'd have a few examples...but then I gave it some thought, and long-term I don't think I have any regrets.

I do wish I'd spent $500 on a "Dreams of my Father" 1st edition in time to have Obama sign it at an event I met him at...I got books signed, but it's not the same.

And I wish I had NOT spent $400 for a John Kerry s/l Easton edition that I couldn't sell for $25 today...or the $400 on three John McCain s/l editions...wrong horse both times...haha...

But as for 'one that got away' SK books...I can't think of a single one that still haunts me...if I wanted it, I got it...

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

For me, there have been two--proofs, of course.

The first was a number of years ago when the grey UK proof of Bag of Bones went up for auction. I just couldn't justify the price it was up to, and I figured that another would eventually show up. I was wrong.

The second was just a little while ago, in which kacod (Kyle) out-bid me for the proof of the trade Stephen King Goes to the Movies. Again, I figured another would show up, but nothing yet.

John

Along the Path of the Beam kacod is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

John,
    If I ever see another I will point you to it, you have my word.
    Maybe you'll trade me the Cell proof? Ha!

--kyle.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As Al Borland on Home Improvement would say: "I don't think so..."

John

Country
    Country Flag

My story is I was just getting REALLY serious about getting the early first editions, and I had a beautiful copy of a first Shining all but in my hands. I didn't know what sniping was - I'm looking at my bid, I'm way up, 5..4..3..2..1...You have been outbid!.....Sorry you did not win the item. Ruined.My.Freakin.DAY! Now, sad to say I do it to other people.

But don't you guys get ticked when you see something you want, I mean you KNOW you are going to go after it, and these two IDIOTS are battling each other, driving up the price, just so they can be the high bidder with 6 days, 4 hours left in the auction? This helped me understand why people snipe - mainly so as not to drive the price up by bidding early. That is why I usually wait very late to bid (altho that cost me a pink Talisman proof once, the seller pulled the item, and could do so because there were no bids). So it can bite ya....

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kacod View Post
    That is why I usually wait very late to bid (altho that cost me a pink Talisman proof once, the seller pulled the item, and could do so because there were no bids). So it can bite ya....
    Kyle, when that happens, you might want to contact the seller to see if he's willing to sell you the book anyway. I've done this a few times and been successful occasionally. (Sometimes he's already sold the book off-line and that's why he pulled the auction.)

John

Country
    Country Flag

That is exactly what the guy had done, sold it to a friend. I did ask him about it, because in his description he said something about not contacting him to end it early, going to the highest bidder, blah blah. The guy told me alot of people contacted him about it (ending it early) but went on to complain that it had been up 3 or 4 days with no bids. I guess everyone who wanted to take a shot at it was waiting as late as they could, and the seller got nervous.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

So, I think this qualifies...

I had a snipe in on Greg's Sphere Gunslinger proof at $1,455.55. The final price was $1,436.11. My snipe site gave me an explanation that the bid increment between the final price and my higher bid was not quite large enough to submit my bid. How do you like that one!

So, did anyone here win that auction?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, David, that completely stinks! I've never heard of that happening before. Lousy luck!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    So, did anyone here win that auction?
    The gentleman from Amarillo.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Normally David your bid should have worked but perhaps Bob had a higher reserve which also makes no sense.....
    weird

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I cannot believe that i missed a french ARC of Bag of Bones on ebay!
    I noticed today that a french guy did put on his website a picture of it, saying it came in his mailbox today.

He told me he got it from ebay, 12e...
    i am very pissed as i am looking for it since couple of years and i thought there was only 1 known copy... and it wasnt in my alerts! Need to find what the ebay auction looked like...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I can not for the life of me understand how I missed the UK proof of Different Seasons on Bett's website. Whoever got it if they want to sell it ever-think of me!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Same here, Mike. I thought I was early with my email and the UK DIFFERENT SEASONS was definitely on my shopping list but it wasn't meant to be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast