Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Library - Q&A and Complete List?

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King Library - Q&A and Complete List?

I'm trying to track down all the "Stephen King Library" books - those which are bound in red leatherette. Just wondering how many there are and which titles were issued, to the best of my research theres between 35 - 40 titles.

Just wondering if anyone has a complete list of titles they wouldn't mind sharing?

Thanks in advance guys.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't checked this against anything, so I don't know if it's 100% correct, but everything listed below exists. If there are others I have not seen them.

Carrie
    'Salem's Lot
    The Shinning
    The Stand
    The Stand - Complete and Uncut
    The Dead Zone
    Firestarter
    Cujo
    Christine
    Pet Sematary
    The Eyes of the Dragon
    It
    Misery
    The Tommyknockers
    The Dark Half
    Needful Things
    Gerald's Game
    Dolores Claiborne
    Insomnia
    Rose Madder
    Desperation
    Bag of Bones
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    Dreamcatcher
    Night Shift
    Skeleton Crew
    Four Past Midnight
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes
    Hearts In Atlantis
    Thinner
    On Writing
    Secret Windows
    Storm of the Century

The harder ones to find are the more recent ones.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm surprised Storm of the Century is in there. I thought the only hardcover edition of that book was the book club edition. To see that it's also out in the red "leather" binding is a surprise.

John

Country
    Country Flag

These are the only ones I can see missing, so that'd put it up to 36 volumes... anybody see any we're missing?

From a Buick 8
    Different Seasons
    Everything's Eventual
    Black House

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    These are the only ones I can see missing, so that'd put it up to 36 volumes... anybody see any we're missing?

From a Buick 8
    Different Seasons
    Everything's Eventual
    Black House
    Yea I forgot Different Seasons, but I didn't know about the others. But you are right, they do exist.

Sorry the picture is small John, but here's the spine to Storm of the Century

Yea Storm is a good one to have as well as On Writing and Secret Windows. these are pretty neat to have in the faux read leather. I still need to get the On Writing one though. It was just up for $50 a couple of weeks ago, but that is way too much. I've probably averaged $12 a book for the Stephen King Library red books.

Country
    Country Flag

Secret Windows
    On Writing
    The Dark Half
    From a Buick 8
    Dreamcatcher
    Salem's Lot
    Misery
    Four Past Midnight
    Firestarter
    Dolores Claiborne
    It
    Insomnia
    Bag of Bones
    Gerald's Game
    Desperation
    Different Seasons
    Needful Things
    The Shining
    The Eyes of the Dragon
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Christine
    Cujo
    Thinner
    Storm of the Century
    The Stand
    Everything's Eventual
    The Dead Zone
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes
    Black House
    Tommyknockers
    Pet Sematary
    Skeleton Crew
    Rose Madder
    Night Shift
    Carrie
    Stand (Complete & Uncut)

That gives us 37... which seems about right?

Country
    Country Flag

I now have an extra copy of "Everything's Eventual", "Storm of the Century" and "Dreamcatcher" all in near fine condition, if anyone is interested....

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

How much would you want for them?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Auctions coming soon!!

We're just working out the bugs with it because I'll tell ya, I wouldn't mind bidding on one of those
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Everythings Eventual is one of the few books I do not own.
    I have almost all in paper, and am slowing replacing them in hardcover.
    Someday, I will arange a give-a-way on the paperbacks....
    are the aformentioned books for sale then e_taylor?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

Yup thats the plan - and these editions are actually great for your collection (I've found anyways) because for instance, Dreamcatcher and Everything's Eventual have no limited states, so these look a little nicer on the shelf.

I'm looking for $40- $50 each, but I think Brice has dibs on Storm of the Century at the least, maybe all three.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Sound like you could start a bid war here e taylor.

That Everything's Eventual was also the one I had my eye on but I'm sure others will come along

Country
    Country Flag

Brice is only taking Storm of the Century, so the other two are still up for grabs! Just PM me.

Also, I don't mind waiting a few days if you want me to try out the new auction format with Everything's Eventual.... let me know!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That would actually be great e taylor, I have been out of town for the weekend but I think Randall Flagg is putting it through its paces now to make sure it works.

Then we'll set up some guidelines and try to throw it out there.

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, heres something that I've been thinking a lot about lately...

BOMC distributed these so I guess technically they are BCEs. Obviously the older titles like Carrie aren't 1sts rebound, some of the titles from the 80s and 90s have copyright pages that indicate firsts, but also have BOMC mentioned, nullifying that.

HOWEVER, some of the newer titles have complete numberlines, and no mention of BOMC, they are 1sts, but bound in the red leatherette - are these really first editions? or because they are distributed through BOMC are they still BCEs?

Also, if the CP page indicates a 1st print and there in no mention of BOMC, is it acceptable to marry them with 1st print dust jackets?

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

HOWEVER, some of the newer titles have complete numberlines, and no mention of BOMC, they are 1sts, but bound in the red leatherette - are these really first editions? or because they are distributed through BOMC are they still BCEs?

Also, if the CP page indicates a 1st print and there in no mention of BOMC, is it acceptable to marry them with 1st print dust jackets?
    First question. Yes they are the same 1st edition text blocks, but they are bound in the red faux leather instead.

Second Question. It's acceptable to do whatever you want, but it is not a First Trade Edition.
    Geoff

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

First question. Yes they are the same 1st edition text blocks, but they are bound in the red faux leather instead.

Second Question. It's acceptable to do whatever you want, but it is not a First Trade Edition.
    So for a 1st to be a 1st, not only the text block, but the binding materials need to meet a certain criteria?

What if, for instance, someone wanted to rebind their 1st/1st of Carrie in leather, is it no longer a 1st once it no longer has the original boards?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Correct. Such a rebinding would destroy the book's value as a first edition. The correct dust jacket is also essential.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

What if, for instance, someone wanted to rebind their 1st/1st of Carrie in leather, is it no longer a 1st once it no longer has the original boards?
    Many collectible older books have been rebound in beautiful leather bindings that, in the eyes of some, enhance their value. Suppose you found a first edition of DRACULA but it had moisture damage, insect damage, etc. and the boards were unsightly but the pages themselves were OK. There are many binderies that do custom work and can take an ugly collectible book and make it a work of art.

My preference is to have the books in my collection as close to original as possible but others prefer the fancy custom bindings. But I think you would still consider the book (in the case of DRACULA) a first edition but with a custom binding.

I will post later today an image that a custom binder sent me of a beat up copy of THE STAND that has been custom rebound with inlaid leather, etc. and you can judge for yourself. I think it is fantastic and, in this case, enhances the value of an otherwise uncollectible book.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a copy of THE STAND that was bought at a garage sale for (I think) $2. Now it has a new custom leather binding. I think it is absolutely fantastic.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree it's a beautiful book, but I personally don't consider it to be a collectible edition of The Stand. Just me.

John

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I agree it's a beautiful book, but I personally don't consider it to be a collectible edition of The Stand. Just me.

John
    I agree its not a collectable edition for most people, but what a great addition it would make on my bookshelf. I would buy it just for the quality. Well done to the binder. That spine is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

I agree its not a collectable edition for most people, but what a great addition it would make on my bookshelf. I would buy it just for the quality. Well done to the binder. That spine is fantastic.
    It's good stuff, isn't it? As far as I know it is not for sale. I think the binder did it for himself because he likes the book so much. Interestingly his favorite King book is BAG OF BONES. He told me he found a copy at a garage sale for $1 and that is his next personal project.

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

Bob, That is a Beautiful copy of the Stand. I actually love books done uniiquely like that. Although not at the expense of altering an already nice, collectable one.

I found a First edition Carrie a few years ago with a VERY early inscription. Unfortunately the boards were warped and torn pretty bad. It didn't have any damage to the pages so I asked Malcolm at Mustang Bindery to put together the following for me. Done in Full Calf Leather. I think it turned out pretty nice. Is it a Collectable? It looks good in mine.

<P>

I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Here is a copy of THE STAND that was bought at a garage sale for (I think) $2. Now it has a new custom leather binding. I think it is absolutely fantastic.

Any idea what it would cost to have custom binding done?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast