Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Robin Furth and Peter David / Dark Tower Comic Writers

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I'm just sayin... from Peter David's point of view... I'd be thinking "Yeah, I'm doing okay..."
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Along the Path of the Beam Sai Farson is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

What happened to the guidebooks/almanacs that they were releasing at the end of every series? Is there not one for Fall of Gilead? I thought they were pretty entertaining at least . . .

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Fall of Gilead is not over yet so maybe there will be another Almanac/Guidebook.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Probably so. If Marvel had simply done a whole series of those, kind of like expanding and fully illustrating the Concordance, (without trying to re-define it as intelligence files somehow gathered by Gilead) that might have been a better product.
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Gotta just say here... If Stephen King approved of my writing, which was based on Stephen King's characters and works... I'd pretty much not care what anyone else thought either. I mean, hello?
    As I've said before, you can't take Stephen King too seriously. I think that he realizes this himself, sometimes. I know that he has often said that the audience is the most important thing.

You know what Peter David is good at? Comedy. At one time, it was clear that he realized how fortunate he is, and he made it easy to appreciate what, he said, "I laughingly refer to as my career." It's sad that he's gotten more uptight about this "literature" over time. He's now more of the type that DT7 calls "a Mork;" "a selfish introvert masquerading as a rugged individualist." You think that my complaints about this writer are groundless? Look closely at how much existential angst he wraps into fantasy pseudo-science... that is what is really apropos of nothing.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sai Farson View Post
    What happened to the guidebooks/almanacs that they were releasing at the end of every series? Is there not one for Fall of Gilead? I thought they were pretty entertaining at least . . .
    They usually come out the same month as the final issue.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Sooo...what happened to the backstories?

Earlier on the appendixes at the back of the issues had backstories on Mid-World and its inhabitants. Now they seem to be gone and in their absence we get self-praising essays from Furth on where she pats her back and tells where she gets her 'ideas'.

Mind you, I wasn't too crazy about the stories, but at the very least they were something and I felt I was getting my money's worth. This is just fluff and not worth the extra cash.

Has Furth run out of ideas? If she's running low, she should just look at some obscure fairy tales for *ahem* inspiration like she's done in the past.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

From my recent experience, Robin is a really cool and creative person. I know your disappointed in the work but I am sure she is doing the absolute best she can.

I'm actually interested in a lot of that stuff and it all builds Dark Tower lore in one way or another.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Gay

I can't really agree with this assessment, CG.

I think those essays are exactly what we've been asking for... Don't you want to know where she is getting those ideas, how they come to be?

We've been quick to point out what we feel doesn't come from Sai King's original stories and ask where she's getting these plot points... now she's telling us. ( again, with King's approval )

I think the essays are her way of trying to impart some of where her creative thoughts are taking the stories.

I particularily found the latest essay ( on Aileen and the Female Gunslingers ) falling along these lines.
    Last edited by turtlex; 08-01-2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Clarity... still not sure it makes sense though. Sorry.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Country
    Country Flag

I just think stuff like this would be better off for a trade. And I really haven't seen anything that she has said that she hasn't in numerous interviews. She's already talked a lot, for example, about Aileen's character and girls' roles in fiction in general elsewhere.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

I understand your point, but not everyone reads the interviews... certainly not everyone who reads the comics.

I think by putting them in the individual issues, they serve as a history for years to come - whereas things on the web, well, they can get archived, etc.

I'm always interested in a writers thought process - especially about these characters, some of whom we know, and some we'd like to.

Honestly, I wish they'd reproduce the entire comic in the hardcovers. And I mean, maps, essays, character profiles, etc.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Honestly, I wish they'd reproduce the entire comic in the hardcovers. And I mean, maps, essays, character profiles, etc.
    I've wished the same thing, and wondered why they haven't done that myself.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SigTauGimp View Post
    Because it's all going to get re-released in a big Dark Tower Omnibus volume further down the line thats why lol.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Cloysterpete View Post
    Because it's all going to get re-released in a big Dark Tower Omnibus volume further down the line thats why lol.
    I'm never sure why Marvel does anything.

Honestly, I just figured it was an incentive to get people to buy the individual issues... as well as the hardcovers!

I would love to see an Omnibus, but :shrugs: who knows.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought I read somewhere that some of the backstory stuff would be collected when all the arcs are finished... but that might have been a dream.

I actually don't mind some of these essays. The stuff in this issue felt a bit of a repeat of stuff that has appeared before though. Except last time it was more a 'historical' desription of the lives of women in Mid-world. Now it's straight from the Writer's perspective.... but it still feels repetitive.

I do miss the folklore/history stuff though. I hope it's brought back for the next arc at least. It's ok if they continue to include the odd essay though. It's not as if they haven't done 2 separate articles in the back of comics.

I think it's unfair to say Robin Furth is just patting herself on the back in a self congratulatory way. If anything I think she's rather humble. She just seems to be describing her thoughts and insights into Mid-world. I don't always agree with her take on things, but different individuals tend to get different interpretations from the same work. It's still interesting to read.

I think the Englishman thinking her to be a man was more to do with her first name than any assumption of concerning males and females in comics though! Especially over here where names are pretty clear cut male and female.

Over in the states and Canada there seems to be more ambiguity. I.e. I knew a Canadian guy called Kelly. Then there's the famous actor Marion Mitchell Morrison who has the same first name as my mum.... (No wonder he felt the need to overcompensate.

Country
    Country Flag

I think it would be best if A.) they got rid of the extra features entirely and instead made the stories double-sized (this would have definitely improved the first arc as they would have been able to fit in a lot more stuff from the book) or B.) just sell it as a regular-sized issue and save a dollar. It would probably get more readers that way.

My Collection

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

CyberGhostface + Robin Furth = secret love?

Frankly I haven't been able to keep up with all of the essays and side stories and all of that in each issue. I'm with Pam on this. I think they should include all of the extras in the omnibus, just to make it easier for me, so I don't have to dig through my fella's comics trying to find the bit that I wanted to read about whatever it is I wanted to read about.

Doesn't Marvel realize that I am all-important and they should bend to my will?
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Gay

Hannah

Sincerely, I think the essays are a nice addition to the content. A perfect example is the current issue and the related essay on female gunslingers.

I love that Furth actually named the Sai King books she took inspiration from and related Roland teaching Susannah to the current storyline.

Granted, not all the essays are as good - but I think they definitely have a place in each issue.

Don't get me wrong - without a doubt I'd like more maps, and character sketches, storyboards, etc. I do enjoy the pages which include the "making of" stuff.

And, really, with the current essay, the illustrations done by Dennis Calero were great. I like his take on Aileen ( I assume it's her in the art ) better than Isanove's.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    CyberGhostface + Robin Furth = secret love?
    If she does something good, I'll gladly admit it. I've said numerous times how much I loved her Concordances, and I thought the Long Road Home was a fun read. But everything else IMO has been 'meh' at best and downright horrible at worst.

My Collection

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Those articles do always seem to presume in their tone that we really liked the comic. I guess that it does kind of make sense, since after all, they are aimed at those who are buying them. I still think that a little criticism is fair, however. Not to get carried away or to get personal about her, just to say where we happen to differ on the treatment of the series which we also love.
    For example, Ms. Furth said in her afterward to "The Sorceror" that "Quoting Crowley was a big risk, but one that I think was worth taking." I respectfully disagree. I found those quotes jarring, and a somewhat poor means of characterizing TMIB.

Country
    Country Flag

Regarding Crowley, didn't she say she went to him because she wanted to find a voice for Walter/Marten?

Erm...the guy's already appeared in two major novels from King as well as assorted appearances throughout the entire Dark Tower series. I'd say his voice is pretty well-defined by now. I don't think Flagg ever spoke like how Furth wrote him, even in the Dark Tower. He never spoke with words like "thee", "thou" or "alas", for example.

My Collection

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

>I don't think Flagg ever spoke like how Furth wrote him

I was about to say that was the Peter David influence.

But then I suddenly remembered that The Sorceror was all Furth's writing... so... um...

Actually I think he would use that terminology in the right context. Talking to his sister/lover for example or even Gabrielle. Seems a bit of a lovers thing...

As for Crowley, I didn't have much problem with that taking into account the context in which he was referenced. I.e. the rationale and morality (or lack thereof) of the sorceror. "Do what thou wilt". Fits him well and the thou's there fit being an old text and all from Walt's point of view. Likely in the multiverse Crowley got it from him. Heh.

My Mood
    Gay

Great Citizens... I'll likely merge this with the Furth / David thread sometime soon.

My Mood
    Gay

Hey - Looks like Robin Furth is very involved with the new DISCORDIA online project just anounced over at Sai King's site.

Discordia ... directed by Robin Furth

Link to Discordia teaser video - Furth is mentioned at the very end with a "Directed by" credit.

Country
    Country Flag

Carrying over from the Jericho Hill #2 thread...

Furth may be "playing in King's sandbox" but she's got his approval to be hanging out there. And, frankly, I'm thinking she checks stuff out with him. She's not going to be creating backstories all willy-nilly and left field. Do you think Sai King would allow that?!?
    She does get approval from King, but that doesn't mean much to me. King after all was extraordinarily enthusiastic over Mick Garris's adaptations of Desperation and Riding the Bullet. But that wasn't necessarily my point--my point was that I would rather see these pivotal events in Dark Tower lore written by sai King and not someone else. Even if King is overseeing it, it's still not his work.

Um, I really cannot consider her an "amateur" writer. You may not agree with her take on things, but she's a professional/published author.
    Maybe "amateur" wasn't the best definition, but she's still riding on the coattails of a much better author and has yet to do anything major without his name on the cover. (I think she did a Satana one-shot for Marvel, but that's it.) They chose her because she wrote the Concordances which, while very helpful and informative, could probably be done by a number of DT junkies here.

My Collection

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I'm not overly thrilled with her either. I'll give her an A+ on her research skills, though, because of the Concordance. Her other writing is okay, but not anything I'd call spectacular.

Color me unimpressed.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast