Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: World Capitals for $100, Alex!

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

:-: World Capitals for $100, Alex!

There are 20 sentences in which a world capital can be heard. The spelling will not be correct, but the sound will be.

Example: Some of Mr. Preminger's friends wanted to throw _____ _____ surprise party. (Answer: Otta a -- Ottawa)

I will put as many blanks as needed to fill in the sentence, but the world capital may not take that many.

Since there are only 20, please answer only 4 per day (for as long as this lasts)

1. Many years ago, we saw George Burns joking with Milton _____ _____ the Friar's Club. [J&Y - Berle in, Berlin Germany]

2. That would make _____ _____ years old and Mama seventy-six years old. [Jean - Papa eighty, Papeete French Polynesia]

3. The driver was the _____ survivor of the crash. [Bev Vincent - sole, Seoul Korea]

4. _____ _____ be the only catcher who had a cartoon bear named after him? [Jon - Can Berra, Canberra Australia]

5. _____ _____ Moffo and Kathleen Battle made the critic's list of the ten all-time best sopranos? [Bev Vincent - Have Ana, Havana Cuba]

6. Did the customer with the silk paisley _____ _____ for it before he left the store? [Bev Vincent - tie pay, Taipei Taiwan]

7. Smart merchants _____ _____ improvement stores with many brands of tools. [J&Y - stock home, Stockholm Sweden]

8. After her marriages to Richard Burton, how many times has _____ _____ divorced? [Jon - Liz been, Lisbon Portugal]

9. There was a Santa Claus suit in the shopping _____ _____ brought home a few days before Christmas. [Jean - bag dad, Baghdad Iraq]

10. Is _____ _____ the top-ten list of mantras? [Jon - Om on, Amman Jordan]

11. A commercial machine should be capable of _____ _____ after ton of dirty clothing. [mystima - washing ton, Washington DC USA]

12. The medium claimed to be able to communicate with the ghost of Marilyn _____ _____ her seances. [Jon - Monroe via, Monrovia Liberia]

13. Is _____ _____ the widest shoe that's sold here? [J&Y - triple E, Tripoli Libya]

14. Some spouses are faithful, but others _____. [gsvec - roam, Rome Italy]

15. If a police officer catches you making _____, _____ is almost certain to follow. [gsvec - book, arrest, Bucharest Romania]

16. Did one of Ms. Tucker's fans actually give _____ _____ diamond ring? [gsvec - Sophie a, Sofia Bulgaria]

17. What's a fair price for 100 one-third cut legal-size _____ file folders? [Bev Vincent - manilla, Manila Philippines]

18. Sometimes the captain has to _____ _____ ship in choppy waters. [gsvec - anchor a, Ankara Turkey]

19. The veteran of the Korean _____ _____ many of his buddies get killed. [Bev Vincent - war saw, Warsaw Poland]

20. The dentist thought that if the plaque could be kept at _____, _____ canal work could be avoided. [J&Y - bay, root, Beirut Lebanon]

Good luck!
    Last edited by Maturins_Daughter; 07-12-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Solved! Great job y'all!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I'll start:

3. The driver was the Seoul survivor of the crash. (Korea)
    17. What's a fair price for 100 one-third cut legal-size Manila file folders? (Phillipines)
    19. The veteran of the Korean Warsaw many of his buddies get killed. (Poland)

Demon of the Prim Maturins_Daughter is on a distinguished road Maturins_Daughter's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

And an excellent beginning it is, Bev!

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

1. "Berle in" = Berlin

7. "stock home" = Stockholm

13. "triple E" = Tripoli?

20. "bay, root" = Beirut.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

So far, so good!

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

11. A commercial machine should be capable of washing ton after ton of dirty clothing.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

6: Taipei

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes and Yes!

Just 11 more to go.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

#4. Berra, Australia

#12. Monrovia, Liberia

#8. Lisbon, Portugal

#10. (Om on) Amman, Jordan
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll give you number 4 but it was actually Can Berra

And yes on #12.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Ooops on Canberra. I got confused with what to do with "Yogi."

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    #4. Berra, Australia

#12. Monrovia, Liberia

#8. Lisbon, Portugal

#10. (Om on) Amman, Jordan

More.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Alright! Only 6 more to go. I've "bolded" them to make it easier to see which ones are still unsolved.

5) Havana (Cuba)

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep! Y'all are whittling away at it

Is 9 "Male," capital of the Maldives?

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not quite, but almost. 3/4 of the letters are correct in your assumption.

I was thinking Mali, but Mali is a country not a city -- its capital is Bamako. Malé, on the other hand, is a capital.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

15. Bucharest (book arrest), Romania
    16. Sofia (Sophie a), Bulgaria
    18. Ankara (anchor a), Turkey

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I was thinking Mali, but Mali is a country not a city -- its capital is Bamako. Malé, on the other hand, is a capital.
    You're right. Mali is incorrect (my mistake, sorry), but Malé is also incorrect.

There is another capital city that will work with that sentence.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Good job, gsvec!

Just 3 more to go. Fair game for anyone to solve.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

AHA! 14. Rome (roam), Italy!!!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2 - Papeete (Papa eighty)
    9 - Bagdad (bag Dad)

I can't believe I missed it! it's bears' favorite type of riddles! Should look in here more often

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes! All done here, wonderful job guys and gals.

Will post another of this type soon! (so stick around Jean)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi all

Life has kept me busy. I have missed you all. I will have more time and a riddle in about a dozen days!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast