Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BGNoAT ... And The WINNER Is !!!!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

:!: BGNoAT ... And The WINNER Is !!!!

According to the Great Citizens of the Comic Tower
    The Best Graphic Novel of All Time
    is

WATCHMEN
    by Alan Moore

As published previously - Each winner of the head to head brackets received one point for their win in addition to the votes they gained.

Final Point Counts :
    Place : Title and Author ( points )
    1st - Watchmen by Alan Moore ( with 76 points )
    2nd - V For Vendetta by Alan Moore ( with 66 points )
    3rd - Maus by Art Spiegelman ( with 60 points )
    4th - Batman: The Killing Joke by Alan Moore ( with 53 points )
    5th - X-Men: The Dark Phoenix Saga by Chris Claremont ( with 51 points )

And now, the winner of our Graphic Novel Give-Away is :
    ( chosen randomly using The Hat software / version 2.3 )

Darkthoughts

Lisa receives a copy of the winning GN ( Watchmen ) and also a randomly chosen GN.... A History of Violence by John Wagner.

Congratulations, Lisa - and thank you to everyone who nominated a GN.

( turtlex, Sam, Matt and Aaron were not eligible )

Thank You To Everyone Who Participated !!! ~ Sam and turtlex

Update : Update : Update : Update : Update

Darkthoughts has donated her win of Watchmen and we've drawn another name.... Congrats Kidd Ikarus!! A new copy of Watchmen is all yours!!!

Update 2 : Update 2 : Update 2 : Update 2 : Update2

Just when you thought it was safe... Kidd Ikarus also already has a copy of Watchmen and has requested a another e-draw so someone else can enjoy this great GN! These guys are great.

And the winner is : Ari_Racing

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

yay for lisa!

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Didn't see that coming.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Gay

I'm not exactly surprised, but honestly - I'm pretty okay with all the top five winners!!

ETA : My girlfriend just mentioned "hmmm....wonder if it would have done as well before the movie came out?!?"
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats Lisa!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations!

Roland would have understood.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

YAY!!!
    Spoiler:
    It's over!
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

My Mood
    Gay

Alan Moore had an amazing showing, throughout this whole process. Very impressive.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was very impressed to see three of Alan Moore's four entries survived through the entire voting. From Hell was the only one that fell off.

However, I too have to wonder how well Watchmen would have done had we done this before the film. For those who have not read the titles that made the final five, read them. Each of these titles has had a HUGE impact on the comics that we read today. HUGE. Not only that, but they really are some of the greatest stories ever told.

Pam and I thank each and every one of you who voted and nominated entries in this contest. Thank you very much. Next up...

Best comic series of all time...

Just after we recover and forget that it would be insane as hell to do it.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Boooooooooooooooooo!!!

Watchmen is like my least favorite graphic novel... And I have NOT seen the movie yet. Perhaps I will like it better in that incarnation. Not really sure...

My Mood
    Gay

UPDATE : We heard from Darkthoughts and she's already got a cool copy of Watchmen so has donated that GN for an additional Give-Away.... She's so sweet !!!!

So... congratulations Kidd Ikarus, your name was drawn for a shiny, new copy of Watchmen !!! I sent you a PM.

LH - Sorry you were disappointed with the result. I, personally, wasn't surprised at all. Watchmen is a classic of the GN genre and is widely considered one of the best. Actually, my favorite graphic novels did pretty well. Maus and Dark Phoenix, and V for Vendetta.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Whoo hoo!!

Congrats, Kidd!

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

well this was no surprise
    its like hendrix coming up as number one in a list of the greatest guitarists
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    However, I too have to wonder how well Watchmen would have done had we done this before the film.
    The same

My Mood
    Gay

Wow. We have some great members here, my friends. I heard back from Kidd Ikarus and he also already has a copy of Watchmen ( not surprising ) and has requested that the give-away go to another member.

I'd like to thank both him and Lisa for being so self-less and thinking of the other members here.

I'll open up The Hat again tonight and we'll have another member winner drawn !!

My Mood
    Gay

We have our winner... congrats Ari_Racing.

I've already received Ari's info and his GN will be in the mail soon !!!!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

THANK YOU SO MUCH, GUYS!!!!!
    I read it long ago and loved it since that moment. And here it's very hard to find...and really expensive!

So I couldn't be more happy! THANK YOU!!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Sorry you were disappointed with the result. I, personally, wasn't surprised at all. Watchmen is a classic of the GN genre and is widely considered one of the best. Actually, my favorite graphic novels did pretty well. Maus and Dark Phoenix, and V for Vendetta.
    Oh yeah I totally voted for those three. Those were great.
    No, not really surprised either, but I didn't PERSONALLY agree. But differences make the world go round.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    THANK YOU SO MUCH, GUYS!!!!!
    I read it long ago and loved it since that moment. And here it's very hard to find...and really expensive!

So I couldn't be more happy! THANK YOU!!
    That's awesome! About 6 months before the movie came out, every book store you can imagine became flooded with everything Watchmen by me. I think I even got mine on a special sale at Barnes & Noble for like 10 bucks. Congrats Ari.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Ari wins everything eventually.

Very kind of both Darkers and Kidd to leave the prize in the pot.

I didn't vote in this contest as I have only read two of what turned out to be the top five.

WATCHMEN is simply brilliant. Far better and much more nuanced than the movie. I love THE KILLING JOKE. It is a big hole in my graphic novel experience that I have not read Spiegelman's MAUS. I plan to rectify that.

Great job running this big event, gang. And thanks to all the knowledgeable members who took the time to vote.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread