Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What Will Our 4th Book Be?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Kurt Vonnegut. Sirens of Titan

2 11.11%
  • Mark Twain. Tom Sawyer

1 5.56%
  • Michael Crichton. Jurassic Park

3 16.67%
  • Steinbeck. Grapes of Wrath

1 5.56%
  • Bel Kaufman. Up the Down Staircase

0 0%
  • George Orwell. 1984

5 27.78%
  • Chuck Palahniuk. Survivor

4 22.22%
  • H.G.Wells. The Time Machine

2 11.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Book Four discussion

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

bumpity bump

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Voted! I'm excited to see what comes out on top... although it might already be apparent...?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

gr gr gr

I so don't want to reread Survivor...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Did you not like it?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Only to an extent. Palahniuk in large doses bores me, he is way too monotonous. I was going to reread any of his novels (talking only about novels now, his short stories are nice) no sooner than a few years after the first read.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

is that it now are we ready to read yet?

looks like it is survivor - which does not bode well, although i have not read this book i do tend to agree with jean on most things

i shall wait for the official personage to tell me the results before i go ahead and order the book though

**hums softly to self**

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

**hums along with Candy**
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

**cough cough**

Country
    Country Flag

if nothing happens by tomorrow, I'll post tie-breaker poll

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

thank you jean - i wasn't being impatient honest

i'm just a geek who gets excited easily

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

1984 is available in an online version for folks who can't afford another purchase at this time.

1984 (first link)
    1984 (second link)
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

once again i'd like to remind everyone of project gutenberg.

hre's a list of the top 100 downloads, you'll be surprised at some of the books available.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBlaze View Post
    once again i'd like to remind everyone of project gutenberg.

hre's a list of the top 100 downloads, you'll be surprised at some of the books available.

http://www.gutenberg.org/browse/scores/top
    You know I use that place a lot just to peruse for fun, but I can never think of it when I'm looking for something particular. Must be some mental block.

Thanks for the reminder JohnBlaze. *wolfkiss*

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

my pleasure, woofer.
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Do you think it's up on librivox? I'll have to go check it out.

Country
    Country Flag

looks like no tiebreaker is needed, Orwell has won. I can't do anything until razz is here, so we wait for him to come back; we can already start our reading/rereading

My Mood
    Worried

JEAN! *random wolftackle hug*

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

candy hugs everyone with excitement

oh, and I was really hoping for Survivor so that I could participate this time.
    We'll see, if I can find an audio copy of 1984 maybe I'll join in.

Country
    Country Flag

bears hope that you will!

does it have to be an audio copy?

Well I'm in the middle of reading another book now, and I've got some others lined up so I won't be able to get to it anytime soon. If I can track down an audio version I should be able to get thru it pretty quickly. I've got a long commute to work, so I can usually get through them within a week or two depending on the length.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Well it seems like the winner of this Month is Orwell's 1984!
    I hope it's a good as I hear

Traveler bio_chem06 is on a distinguished road bio_chem06's Avatar

I'm a huge fan of Vonnegut and I think his books are the funnest to discuss...

Country
    Country Flag

maybe next time it will be Vonnegut, stick around and don't miss the nominations for the next season

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I've chosen to read this book over summer for my AP English class.

I'd love to discuss with you guys, and I've heard a lot of good about this book. I think it will share a tone with my favorite book, Fahrenheit 451.

I regret leaving my soul
    I forgot I needed it, to feel
    maybe when I die
    I'll just grab it real quick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast