0 0%

0 0%

2 8.33%
  • 1 - Hopelessly poor, wish I hadn't read it

2 8.33%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: The Catcher in the Rye

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    wow, I didn't even know. Thank you!
    Yes, indeed. I was floored yesterday and meant to post this in its own thread. Pretty mindblowing news:

https://www.abebooks.com/blog/index....l-be-released/
    There’s a new book about J.D. Salinger on the way – Salinger: The Private War of J.D. Salinger by David Shields and Shane Salerno is due out September 3rd. The co-authors of the new Salinger biography spent eight years completing exhaustive research, conducting countless interviews with countless people, and compiling and organizing as much information as possible about J.D. Salinger, famously one of the 20th century’s most reclusive, mysterious public figures. Many are calling it the definitive biography of Salinger, who stopped publishing in 1965, and did his best to stay out of the public eye. But more torturous for his fans than the lack of more Salinger writing wad the knowledge that the author was indeed writing, but only for himself and his own pleasure, and not making it available.

Now Salerno and Shields say claim that not only have five previously-unreleased Salinger novels been discovered, they’ve now also been verified, documented and authenticated by independent sources in the know, and are slated to be released beginning sometime in or soon after 2015.

The Salinger books would revisit “Catcher” protagonist Holden Caulfield and draw on Salinger’s World War II years and his immersion in Eastern religion. The material also would feature new stories about the Glass family of “Franny and Zooey” and other Salinger works.

Again, it must be a complicated excitement for fans – while there is no doubt the newly unearthed Salinger works will be highly sought-after and enjoyed, it’s also clear that it’s not what Salinger himself would want. Neither his son Matt nor his widow Colleen approved of Shields’ and Salerno’s book, and neither of them cooperated with the pair.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Catcher in the Rye, written by J.D. Salinger, is considered one of the most influential books of the 20th century. And it seems, we all want to know why.

I personally, am having many difficulties in getting into this book, so for now, I will post questions asked by fellow members (though paraphrased)
    If anyone else has questions to add, PM them to me, and I will add them to this first post.

Member Questions:

1. How did you feel about the writing style of the book?

2. For what reason is this book so "hyped"?

3. Why do you think this book has become a modern classic?

More Questions!
    1. If you were to perform a psychoanalysis of Holden, what would your diagnosis be?

2. What words of wisdom, if any, did you think that Holden provided?

3. How do you think the title relates to Holden as a character?

4. Why is Holden so afraid of phony people?
    I have not read through the thread completely, but I feel compelled to ask, are you getting the internet to do your reading? "Catcher in the Rye", at least for mine and the previous generation is a classic "coming of age" book that may or may not be as relevant in this age. It is still, IMHO a "classic" that should be read and understood. Call me a cynic, but the premise of this thread smacks of a student cutting corners, Of course, I may (and usually am) be wrong, but I just speak my mind is all. Read the book!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bill, you missed the point! It's a Book Club thread, that is, we choose a book, compose questions, and answer them!

it's great to see you in this forum anyway, I would be very pleased if you contributed to any of the Book Club dead threads, or started a live one! We haven't had a Book Club discussion in ages.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill, you missed the point! It's a Book Club thread, that is, we choose a book, compose questions, and answer them!

it's great to see you in this forum anyway, I would be very pleased if you contributed to any of the Book Club dead threads, or started a live one! We haven't had a Book Club discussion in ages.
    My apologies then. Carry on!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I would love to revive the book club. Anyone?
    Sloth Love Chunk

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Too busy. Book contest. Try later.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...INATIONS!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BROWNINGS CHILDE View Post
    I would love to revive the book club. Anyone?
    Sure, why not. I'm in.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears are always in

to kill two birds, I recommend to choose the next book from the obscure nominations that still have zero secondings

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

bears are always in

to kill two birds, I recommend to choose the next book from the obscure nominations that still have zero secondings
    Excellent idea. We shall wait till the nomination round is over then.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

No, I think we should right now look at the ones with zeros. Maybe we can save at least one from dropping out altogether.

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

*goes to peruse the list*
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3