Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A Supreme Act of Kindness--Boyhood Dream Becomes Reality

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default A Supreme Act of Kindness--Boyhood Dream Becomes Reality

This is going to be a long post you guys. Anyone who get's through it, I appreciate that. Tonight has been one of the most exciting...exhilarating nights of my life.

I won't go into details on my day so we'll just say it was rough. After 12 years at a job I never really wanted, it's easy to feel unappreciated. Most of that is probably me.

So I'm on the porch, commiserating to Dora about how the entire world is against me...she says she knows how bad it was and that she bought me a gift.

(What is inside is a secret here, she didn't buy it)

The rest of the story will be told in pictures below.

I have spoken to both Jerome and Karen about this wonderful gift. There are so many cool things about it, the list is overwhelming.

• This is a 1st of THE GUNSLINGER!! (seriously )
    • This is a copy of this book that a good friend of mine has owned and loved for many years. He is trusting it me. Such a beautiful gift, thank you Jerome
    • This copy has a slick as shit dust jacket on it from another amazing friend. I can't tell you how much this means to me Karen
    • This is a copy that has an amazing story attached to it that I hope will be told by Jerome, Karen and Dora.
    • The last one is a surprise
    So I get home and I get the gift. It had a wonderful letter from Jerome in it describing the book and letting me know it's history. This was the first I knew of the gift and I thought it was wonderful! Obviously still smoking but it's less and on the poach

The book was as advertised in the letter! A beautiful copy 1st/1st of The Gunslinger that had been in Jerome's collection for over 20 years. It was without dust jacket so Karen was sweet enough to provide one.

Seriously amazing people. I've only had a few cool things done for me in my life and this is now second. (Dora is first, the kids and saving my life and all...guy who woke me up in the Army when the tent was collapsing just went to third )

<---giddy

So Dora says I should open it and I do...still grinning like a fool over how cool it was.

The last cool thing about this book is that they were able to get it personalized by Stephen King himself (I can still barely even think that much less type it)... <faints again>

I'm an emotional man, and this put me over the edge. It was too overwhelming.

I know that Marsha over at the SKMB had a lot to do with this, I plan to let her know how much it means to me. Raising money for the Haven Foundation has real meaning to me. It is like no work at all...this book, to a guy like me, it's not something I can easily wrap my mind around.

For fun, here's my grand daughter Lily concerned for Grandpa

A close up of the inscription to me. It's mind blowing in the best way possible.

Jerome and Karen, I love you guys. No shit.

And my sweet Dora, you are so sweet and coy.

I say I don't know what to say and then I type for two days. This is really wonderful

And lastly thank you Stephen King. I can't imagine you might read this somewhere but I have never imagined you would ever do something like this for me...so amazing things do happen. <--that's us but not in a weird way

Matt
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I am sooooo glad that you finally got it and that Steve agreed to sign it for you! You deserve it and more. (And seeing the tears in your eyes made me tear up.)

For all you do for all of us and for Haven, Thank You. You are a wonderful generous man with a heart of gold!

Enjoy!

As for story telling, it's 10:30pm and past my bedtime. If Jerome wants to tell it, he's more than welcome to!

Oh, I almost forgot, I told Marsha that you would probably contact her and if you didn't, then I would! So she's expecting you. And she's just as excited as the rest of us are. LOL
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

very nice book Matt. Treasure it
    Sloth Love Chunk

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

omg, matt.

i have tears in my eyes reading that.

that is so freaking amazing.

i can't imagine that coming together for anyone better.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That is so awesome. Jerome and Karen rock, for sure.

You totally deserve it, Matt. You've done so much for others that it's time someone did something nice for you.

Way to go Jerome and Karen!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow.

That's seriously amazing.

Congratulations. I'm sure you deserve it.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

That's absolutely wonderful, Matt.
    Congratulations.
    You deserve it.

It's great to see you so happy.

Kingslayer John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze is a jewel in the rough John Blaze's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

you deserve it matt, enjoy it in good health, and may you have long days and pleasant nights, sir.

ps- i have never seen an inscription like that one, it is clever and wonderful, obviously you have great friends. congratulations!
    "So many vows. They make you swear and swear. Defend the King, obey the King, obey your father, protect the innocent, defend the weak. But what if your father despises the King? What if the King massacres the innocent? It's too much. No matter what you do, you're forsaking one vow or another."

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, Matt.

That is just the best. Simply wonderful. I am completely sitting here in tears, crying for you. So sweet, and you so deserve it.

Jerome, Karen and Dora, and Marsha - such a heartwarming and kind thing to do. You are all amazing.

The people here, all of you, continue to inspire me.

Congratulations, Matt. Sincerely. Sai King got it right.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm weeping here with joy (thankgod brother is still sleeping, so he won't see my teary face ^^), that's so unbelievably amazing! You made my day, Matt. Just looking at that inscription makes my heart grow up a size or two (a la Grinch).

I'm so, so happy for you, Matt!

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Punto Ka dotKay is on a distinguished road dotKay's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's amazing Matt!!!
    Congratulations, you really deserve it

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

And I'm sorry... I can't remain quiet about this for a moment longer ... those are sure some stylin lounge pants, Matt.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Well deserved, Matt!!

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Totally totally well deserved! Congratulations Matt. Enjoy.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I really can't think someone who deserves it more

It's a wonderful gesture what Jerome, Karen, Dora and Marsha did. I take my hat off.

I've been having some bad days lately (2 people I know died last three weeks..one was 18 and other 26) and this post...I don't know how to say it in english, but in spanish would be "conforta" (what happens when you feel good and warm, like if you've just received a great hug).
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This is such an amazing community. Something like this really makes the rest of that shit seem trivial.

I'm still walking on sunshine this morning.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That is the coolest thing I think I've ever seen. Congrats Matt!
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    And I'm sorry... I can't remain quiet about this for a moment longer ... those are sure some stylin lounge pants, Matt.
    i was thinking last night about how matt's jammies are.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh wow.

Like, wow.

Matt, that is so amazingly brilliant, I really can't think of anyone who deserves it more

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the longest high I have ever been on...it beats acid by 100 miles.

Thanks for the house pants love you guys, that's my "cry on the porch" pair.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Awww, I loved the cry on the porch part, it made me all misty eyed

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations Matt!!! That is so cool. Jerome Karen and Dora everyone here at TDT.com are just so great. Words cannot describe

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

If anybody deserves such a wonderful, amazing, and completely mind blowing gift as that, it's you, Matt.
    What a beautiful, heartwarming gesture. My eyes won't stop welling up - it's things like this that remind us that humanity ain't all bad. Completely beautiful, this is.
    Thank you for posting it, Matt - it's really brought an extra glow to my heart.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh Alisha--I could not have said that better myself. I am still very much a crybaby about it today.

And you know, it's not just about the book or the sig to me. The trouble that people went to in an effort to appreciate what I did. That doesn't happen to me often and I hate to "get on the couch" here but my childhood didn't include a lot of pats on the back.

This one is the best I could ever imagine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast