Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lisey's Story

Spreading Funk! funky dredd is on a distinguished road funky dredd's Avatar

I think I tried like 3 times to read it and I even had the audiobook and couldn't get into it. Then somebody bought me the paperback and I decided to give it a try again. Once I got past the 250 page mark I was all into it. I really enjoyed the story, although not his best I did enjoy it.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that it may not have been the greatest story ever told, but I enjoyed it. There were a lot of things that occured in her memories of her husband and her new discoveries of him that I thought were really interesting and really cool.

I too, liked the Amanda character a lot, her story was very gripping and how she plays into things is really neat as well.

I don't know if I would urge you to finish it, but at least give it a little more time to grab you. It's not typical King, and I think that's why its tough, I feel the same way about Blaze. I probably would have liked it better if I hadn't picked it up expecting a Bachman book, you know? Try to read it as just another book rather than a Stephen King novel.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Poisonbat

I actually enjoyed Liseys Story, but I have a hard time viewing it as a SK book. It is more of a romance novel to me, but it does have it's SK moments. I finished it, but don't really know if I will ever re read it. Maybe someday when I feel all mushy inside, hehehehe. Not one of my favorites, but still above The Tommyknockers on my list.

Gunslinger Apprentice TLC is on a distinguished road TLC's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty
    Country
    Country Flag

i enjoyed it as well, and i did find it slightly hard to get into but i kept reading and I thought it got better and better.

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Misery was the same for me,just could not get into it,but after 4 attempts
    i finished it.Still not one of his best but it did get better.
    Some class misery as one of thier favorite books but we all like different
    books for different reasons.
    Just give it 1 or 2 more goes,you may change your mind or not.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I find it hard to reread Misery--not because it's not a good book, but because it's such a well-written book that rereading it makes me very uncomfortable! Annie just scares the heck out of me!

John

Gunslinger Apprentice ErinPatricia is on a distinguished road ErinPatricia's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love
    Country
    Country Flag

I picked it up and got through like 2 chapters...that was like 1.5-2 years ago it feels like.
    Im gonna try again soon, maybe tonight.
    I just finished what must be my 28th reread of The Stand.
    I'm on a King kick now, and if I could find my damn copy of Wolves Id re-read the last 3 DT books.
    I lurk, therefore I am.

Gunslinger Apprentice 3 DOORS DOWN is on a distinguished road 3 DOORS DOWN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Erin i know what you mean about re-reading the Stand i'm no where near
    28 re-reads but its got to be my favorite book to read again,along with
    the dark tower of course.

Traveler gillie is on a distinguished road gillie's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I finally listened to Lisey's Story and really liked it. I did often wish for a paper copy so that I could go back & reread certain parts. I will have to reread it again someday.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved this book. Not only because I read it while I was sitting in the train from Bari to Milan (through Italy) for ten-something hours, gawping at the landscapes once in a while, but because of Boo'ya Moon. Sure, Lisey's story was a great company for me for those hours. I love travelling alone abroad, pondering all things between Heaven and Earth, and even better it gets when I've got a good story accompany me.

I forgot all about Italy around me as soon as I got into Boo'ya Moon - it was scary, beautiful and enchanting. As long as I got to stay far away from that piebald thing, Long Boy, I was quite happy - I had found one more world to dwell in. Different from the other worlds in that sense, that its dangerousness belongs in it. Usually worlds are plagued by evil, which is later gotten rid of, more or less. But not in Boo'ya Moon. It is both good and evil equally, light and dark. Very intriguing.

Now my copy of Lisey's Story dwells in Denmark, and I made my sai promise that if he'll travel, he'll take it with him, so Lisey's Story will see more of the wide world. =)

(forgive the grammatical errors in this text, my head feels like there is a swarm of bees. urgh.)

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Normally I would have just sent this message in a PM, but sometimes people should be known for who they are.
    mulleins, my DJ arrived today. Not only did you give me an A++++ quality one, youtook more care in shipping than many ebayers do on actual books.

Hats off to you for your generosity and overall just being a good person. This is something I have learned applies to many here. I have belonged to my share of forums, and I have never met a group that is worth spending more time with. Thanks guys for being a wonderful community. Thank you King for bringing a group like this together.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've read such hatred for Lisey's Story from so many here. I would like to ask why. Why do you not like the charcters? What is it about them that made you dislike them so much? Was it the way Lisey talked, or her attitude, maybe her relationship with her family? What was it?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am quite surprised at so many people disliking this book but a 'King book' means something different to us all and his body of work is so disperate I think.

I liked Lisey's story but I was mising my King books, I think, and hadn't read any in a while. There are typical King elements like introducing elements like the 'Long boy' and you have to read on for the relevance! Although there wasn't a lot of characters with their own entertaing back story that you usually get with King books. Therfore, the 'palaver' parts he does so well don't really happen.

Maybe there is an element of how well do we really know the person we live with or marry? They had a life a before us and how much do we know of that? Do we all have a Boo ya moon to some extent?

Although there seems to be a favourable reception to Duma Key and I am thinking about getting this!

Along the Path of the Beam RoseMadder is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed the schmuck out of the book, i really did. Besides the content of the story itself ( which was good ) Stephen King has a way of writing that no matter what is hypnotizing. Dance Macabre, On writing, neither the usual entertainment type of read, but I read and enjoyed them just the same. I think I would find entertainment in his grocery list..I hope that doesn't make me an Incunk..
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always
    worked for me."
    "Bill Clinton does not inhale marijuana, right? You bet. Like I chew on LSD but I don't
    swallow it.'" Hunter S Thompson

Public enemy number 1 Sickrose is on a distinguished road Sickrose's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I liked smuck as an alternate to F*ck ! I heard it so much in my head as I was reading it i started to use it a bit!

I agree with you about the grocery list Maybe we can buy a copy somewhere heheh

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I can't really define any single thing about Lisey's Story that didn't work for me. I guess the best way for me to summarize it is that it read like a Koontz novel.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    I can't really define any single thing about Lisey's Story that didn't work for me. I guess the best way for me to summarize it is that it read like a Koontz novel.
    like a Koontz novel twice the regular Koontz size

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Woofer View Post
    like a Koontz novel twice the regular Koontz size
    Yes!

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by funky dredd View Post
    I think I tried like 3 times to read it and I even had the audiobook and couldn't get into it. Then somebody bought me the paperback and I decided to give it a try again. Once I got past the 250 page mark I was all into it. I really enjoyed the story, although not his best I did enjoy it.
    jesus christ it took 250 pages?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, after page 250 it becomes readable. Marginally.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Worried

True, it did get less tedious after that. I can't comment specifically because I borrowed the copy I read.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I absolutely loved it, but then I've never found a King story I didn't like.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Worried

It would be very low on my list of King re-reads.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast