Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Lisey's Story

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I believe I only have about 125 pages left. Really good book!
    This may not be surprising to some....but I sure see some "flipping"/Territories/DT connections in this book!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

No doubt. I didn't want to bring it up until you had finished though.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe we can get into it more after today!

John F. Kennedy Elle216 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Give me a few reasons why I should...

Continue to try and read Lisey's story. I just can't get into it. I bought it July 4th of last year and it just sits there on my bookcase day after day. I thought I'd give it another shot in early August but got sidetracked. In the last two weeks I've read The shining, Salem's Lot, Carrie and some of Kings short stories, and still I am unable to pick this book up or rather I am unable to read past page 23. So, give me a few reasons why I should give this novel a try before I give up on it completely.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i had the same problem. i still ain't read it. so i can't help you. sorry.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It starts out slow, but I definitely think it gets really good later on.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Country
    Country Flag

How much later? Is it maybe by page 200 or 20 pages before it ends?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd say maybe 100.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've read eight pages and then it collected dust until I returned it to the library. I had good intentions but....

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I wouldn't even waste your time with it. I finished it just because I felt I had to since I had started it, and I kept telling myself that it must get better as it goes on, but sadly I did not enjoy it one bit. I thought it did a get a little (and I mean a little) bit better at the very end but it wasn't enough to save the book for me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'd agree it's not one of his better works, but I did enjoy it. Of course, I am probably one of those people who would read his grocery list if he published it.

Country
    Country Flag

*phew*, now I don't feel like such a slacker for not reading it.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I was not real high on it but I'm too much like Daggers to not have read it. Duma Key was much better imo.

Country
    Country Flag

I have yet to read Duma, maybe I'll pick it up this weekend.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Now that's one I would highly recommend.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I read Lisey's Story twice and have no real desire to read it again in the forseeable future. It's just not THAT good of a story.

John

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    I wouldn't even waste your time with it. I finished it just because I felt I had to since I had started it, and I kept telling myself that it must get better as it goes on, but sadly I did not enjoy it one bit. I thought it did a get a little (and I mean a little) bit better at the very end but it wasn't enough to save the book for me.
    hear, hear!

It did get a little bit better, as Heather says... maybe we mean different things, too

Spoiler:
    for me it's Amanda's getting kidnapped from the hospital, and all other Amanda-relating stuff; she is the only character who held any interest for me

Altogether, it's like wading across a desert with the only thought, "will it ever end?"

Also I have to warn everyone concerned that this thread is soon going to be merged with that thread.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Actually I've read it , and am currently thanks to this thread doing a reread. I am actually breezing thru it this time ...go figgure.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

i think you should give lisey another chance. i think it's a very poignant story about her life
    Spoiler:
    after her husband's death - you can see that she really hasn't moved on. and you can see that she never really knew him as well as she thought she did.

i found it sadly touching, very hard to put down, and not a little bit creepy. kind of like bag of bones from the woman's point of view. now i'm not saying it's as good as bag of bones (we all know how highly that book rates on my king-o-meter) but it's got kind of a similar feeling.
    Spoiler:
    how does one deal with the death of one's spouse? and can one maintain one's sanity in the face of discovery?

give it another try?

Country
    Country Flag

I don't know turtlesong, I've tried for over a year now... maybe I'll give it one more go? after all I did buy it as a new book and I don't think they'll return my money at this point, which makes me wonder, can you even return a book after you've bought it?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure about that, good question.

I think I will go through it again, but this time I'm going to listen to it.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I definitely will go through it again. I am planning it for the Golden Jubilee of this site.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I definitely will go through it again. I am planning it for the Golden Jubilee of this site.
    nice. subtle.
    we'll just add massive sarcasm to the list of the bear's many extraordinary talents.

Quote Originally Posted by Elle216 View Post
    I don't know turtlesong, I've tried for over a year now... maybe I'll give it one more go? after all I did buy it as a new book and I don't think they'll return my money at this point, which makes me wonder, can you even return a book after you've bought it?
    i know b&n just changed their return policy. in the past you could return anything at anytime, with or without a receipt, and if you didn't have a receipt you got store credit. guess they realized they were getting massively ripped off cause the new policy is within 14 days with a receipt. and it's a little longer time with a gift receipt i think. although how they will handle this over the holidays is beyond me. some people (me for one) buy holiday presents way early (and i know that technically the christmas buying season starts the day after thanksgiving).

Gunslinger Apprentice Bluenose is on a distinguished road Bluenose's Avatar

I quite enjoyed the book actually - maybe not one of his best books, but enjoyable for what it was.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast