Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by EXPLORER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrell View Post
    My girlfriend asked about the show again today, still debating it. She is a huge JCM fan. I could time it with the Alabama A game (spring football practice).
    My wife reminded me last week she had scheduled vacation for the April 4-6th and asked if I knew why... I quickly realized why. We grabbed tickets and will be headed there.
    Is anyone else going to be in Atlanta for the early performances? We will be up there at least the 4th - 7th. 3rd rows seats on th 5th.... and whateverr else we decide once we get up there.

John F. Kennedy DisneyGuys is on a distinguished road DisneyGuys's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Ghost Brothers of Darkland County premieres April 2012

I wandered through the lobby of the theater last night and listened (through an open door) to some of the rehearsal. It sounds very interesting to say the least. I am really looking forward to seeing it tonight. I was told that King and Mellencamp have been in and out all day.
    I spoke to one of the marketing people and the only merchandise that will be for sale tonight is a $20 t-shirt. I failed to ask about after tonight if there would be more merch produced during this one month production before it heads to Broadway. There are brochures and flyers available about the show. There should, of course, be a Playbill (or similar) for patrons tonight.
    If anyone is interested, I'll post a review late tonight or tomorrow morning.
    Very excited to be going to the opening, first public performance.
    I'll be in Row C #105 in case Mr. King reads this and wants to stop by and ask what I thought after the show. [A guy can dream.]
    Daniel

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGuys View Post
    I'll be in Row C #105 in case Mr. King reads this and wants to stop by and ask what I thought after the show. [A guy can dream.]
    Daniel
    Heck... I'm available during intermission for Mr. King, too. <grin>

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

any word on whether the script will be published? i know that was planned at one point, but it looks like it may have fallen by the wayside...

-justin

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Just left the theater. The show is phenomenal and the story is soooo Stephen King. I can't say much without spoiling the show for the next audience... so I won't.
    I will say the theme is classic King with an over-arching story of evil vs. good. The story simmers on a medium heat until the lid blows off and everything is drenched in a stew when it would be least convenient. A great story.
    The music has a lot of "dark notes" and really colors the story. This is not your Grandmother's musical with an uplifting message and a heavy end beat so everyone knows to applaud. The moments in song were so wrenching that it was a little uncomfortable to clap (but the actors really deserved it). Yes, there are touches of King humor to lighten (and bring a laugh) at certain moments (which is a relief).
    The cast is such an interesting mix just like the characters that populate a King novel. Very engaging staging and a set that wraps into the audience. A really incredible set that moves almost effortlessly from the past to the present (although on the first night one cast member was almost run over by a set piece... wouldn't THAT have made an interesting King-esque twist with someone dying in the 2nd Act?). The set really is another character in the show.
    Again, I really can't say anything about the storyline without spoilers. It grabs you and really takes the audience for a wild ride with dark and light spirits.
    The language and theme is defiantly by King and a warning is posted on the entrance doors to the theater. My absolutely favorite quote in the show has adult words... we're all adults here? A great moment is when one of the lead characters says, "I like songs about fucking... and murder... preferably at the same time!"
    If you are a King fan, you must see this show. What would have been a great novel is brought to life on stage. The King and Mellencamp collaboration is very successful, but the actors have really put the life (or is it "the death") into the show.
    I'll put together some more thoughts and share a photo or two later.
    Daniel

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Just left the theater. The show is phenomenal and the story is soooo Stephen King. I can't say much without spoiling the show for the next audience... so I won't.
    I will say the theme is classic King with an over-arching story of evil vs. good. The story simmers on a medium heat until the lid blows off and everything is drenched in a stew when it would be least convenient. A great story.
    The music has a lot of "dark notes" and really colors the story. This is not your Grandmother's musical with an uplifting message and a heavy end beat so everyone knows to applaud. The moments in song were so wrenching that it was a little uncomfortable to clap (but the actors really deserved it). Yes, there are touches of King humor to lighten (and bring a laugh) at certain moments (which is a relief).
    The cast is such an interesting mix just like the characters that populate a King novel. Very engaging staging and a set that wraps into the audience. A really incredible set that moves almost effortlessly from the past to the present (although on the first night one cast member was almost run over by a set piece... wouldn't THAT have made an interesting King-esque twist with someone dying in the 2nd Act?). The set really is another character in the show.
    Again, I really can't say anything about the storyline without spoilers. It grabs you and really takes the audience for a wild ride with dark and light spirits.
    The language and theme is defiantly by King and a warning is posted on the entrance doors to the theater. My absolutely favorite quote in the show has adult words... we're all adults here? A great moment is when one of the lead characters says, "I like songs about fucking... and murder... preferably at the same time!"
    If you are a King fan, you must see this show. What would have been a great novel is brought to life on stage. The King and Mellencamp collaboration is very successful, but the actors have really put the life (or is it "the death") into the show.
    I'll put together some more thoughts and share a photo or two later.
    Daniel
    And Mr King was present slipping into a seat towards the back just before the show.. exiting just prior to intermission to avoid being mobbed, returning quietly and escaping quickly at the end of the show... ushered out the side while hugging colaborators and politely declining to sign anything tonight.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

According to Ms. Mod at SK.com back a few months ago, this should see a 3-disc CD release (and I remember there was talk of King's text being included) on May 22, 2012:

http://www.stephenking.com/forums/sh...rothers-Update

But I checked Hear Music (http://www2.concordmusicgroup.com/labels/hear-music/) and there's nothing about it there at this time.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

http://buckhead.patch.com/articles/g...iers-wednesday
    More than a decade since the project was first announced, “Ghost Brothers of Darkland County” makes its long-awaited premiere Wednesday evening at the Alliance Theatre.

The anticipated new musical was written by novelist Stephen King, features music and lyrics by John Mellencamp, and has musical direction provided by legendary producer T Bone Burnett. The closing show of the Alliance Stage Series season is directed by Alliance Artistic Director Susan V. Booth.

It features Tony Award winner and Atlanta native Shuler Hensley and Tony Award nominee Emily Skinner, and also includes Justin Guarini of “American Idol” fame. Hensley is an alum of Westminster.

Described as “a riveting Southern gothic musical fraught with mystery, tragedy, and phantoms of the past, along with a roots and blues-tinged score,” here’s the official production synopsis:

In the tiny town of Lake Belle Reve, Mississippi in 1967, a terrible tragedy took the lives of two brothers and a beautiful young girl. During the next forty years, the events of that night became the stuff of local legend. But legend is often just another word for lie. Joe McCandless knows what really happened; he saw it all. The question is whether or not he can bring himself to tell the truth in time to save his own troubled sons, and whether the ghosts left behind by an act of violence will help him – or tear the McCandless family apart forever.

In a press conference late last year, King explained why the musical is debuting in Atlanta: “We wanted a place that was cosmopolitan but not out of touch with country roots. Atlanta seemed like the middle of the bulls-eye. You know that song, ‘If you can make it here, you can make it anywhere?’ That’s how I feel about Atlanta and this show.”

Mellencamp’s three-CD studio album of the production and its music will be released next month. Tonight's preview is considered a "soft opening" with the official Opening Night set for April 11. The production runs through May 13.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Two photos that this group might find interesting:
    One is the warning on the entrance doors to the theater, and the other is of the t-shirt available ($20 includes tax) in sizes S to XL only. Looking at much of the audience gathered, the theater really should have produced XXL shirts and they would have sold more.

Daniel

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I like the "rating" sign!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the posts, Daniel!

Are the t-shirts available for purchase online?

Thanks!

AND I LOVE THE RATING SIGN!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

A couple more photos from the opening night...
    Here is the marquee outside the theater, and a copy of the program (not a Playbill).

Here is Mr. King with the cast after the first night's performance.

And here is John Melencamp graciously signing autographs after the first show.

Sorry that the photos seem a little fuzzy... crappy camera syndrome.
    Daniel

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Marvelous show..... This can be a hit. Kept a great momentum with style very typical of King and the story unfolds moving forward while jumping back to develope charactor and plot.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

need a shirt Ari?

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice to see more pics! The truth is that I considered taking a flight in July from Comic Con and attend to one of the shows, but I won't be able to do it.

Explorer, they look nice! I'd like to buy one.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a video about the show that I don't think has been shared here, yet. This shows a times-lapse during the construction of the set.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I want that restricted sign.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I want that restricted sign.
    Ha... it was very tempting... they were just Scotch-taped onto the glass.
    The graphic would make a great addition to the t-shirt.

Here are some other articles that have come out about the show.
    The first is the Atlanta Journal Constitution blog:
    http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-music-s...-rustic-tunes/

And this (with a nice photo of some of the cast) is from an entertainment blog called Vulture*:
    http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/steph...nd-county.html
    *A little 'warning'... the 2nd link contains what I would consider spoilers. So, if you want to enjoy this show with a fresh and unspoiled vision, then you should skip this article.

Daniel

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info and the photos! I so wish I could have made it up there for this showing. Life is always in the way...

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Went over to grab a few extra shirts and wound up picking up "RUSH tickets". The production was even better the second time around!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe I missed something, but what 'book' by King are they referring to on the cover of the program? Do they mean that he wrote the story, or is there a chance that there will be a publication in book format as well? Just curious!

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

He wrote the play which in the world of theater is called a book, and the book/script should hopefully be included in the 3 CD-package planned for release.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Mellencamp & King put together a heck of a show. A Musical with Mellencamp feel for music and story so King in charactor developement. If you are a fan of either or good theatre, this is worth the trip to Atlanta.. We wound up going two nights in a row and it only got better the second time around. Had to come pull up some old Mellencamp today to remind myself of his style and music which I see fits within the storytelling portayed in Ghost Brothers

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

We had a couple of very interesting experiences while at or around the show. The first night of the show we did not have tickets however went over before the show to observe what was going on and see if we recognized anyone. We also went back prior to the show ending. While anticipating the close of the show I walked over to a lady who looked like she might work there as she was hanging out by a podium by the doors. I approached her and asked if she knew how long the show ran. She responded immediately, "TOO LONG, I walked out along time ago. I could not stand the foul lanquage. I came for some good country music however they do alot of talking in this play... and every other word is cussing or sex." I stood there and let her spout off noting this was a play. "She went on and on stating, "They did have some good music in the begining while I was there however the writer just put too much nasty words into the story". She then had a troubled look on her face and turned to me and said, " Oh... and if you are Mr King, I never read any of your books". I did not say anything. I just walked away grinning.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast