Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

From Mellencamp's official web site

Meanwhile, casting continues for the projected "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" CD/book package involving a recording of the songs and the dialog of John's musical collaboration with Stephen King. No word yet on who's on board, but several major artists have signed on.

5) "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" CD/Book Package: This will involve a recording of the songs and the dialog of John's musical collaboration with Stephen King, with T-Bone Burnett producing and acting as musical director. It won't be a "cast album," but will contain performances by major artists. The book will include the text of the musical-also called the "book" in theater lingo.

If things go as planned, the set will be available prior to the "Ghost Brothers" opening next April at Atlanta's Alliance Theater. In the works for 10 years, the production remains a priority for both John and King, who have become close friends during the intense collaboration.

Remember: None of this is written in stone! Everything is subject to change!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great news. I was hoping this would happen. I could probably do without the CD, just the actual script or play or whatever the format is.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The CD is perhaps the closest many people will get to seeing the play, so I'm pleased it will be released in this format. And I can't wait to hear who they enlist to perform on the album.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I hope they take the thing on the road. Not quite enough to get me to Atlanta.

However, John Mellencamps "The Best That I Could Do" is one of my favorite greatest hits albums.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

A CD is nice. I wish they'd put it on dvd though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My thoughts exactly, Brice. A DVD would be nice for those of us who have no chance of seeing the show itself.

John

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Ghost Brothers book canceled?

Ms. Mod says so over at the SKMB. The board is closed now, so I can't ask if she means just the originally-announced April date is pushed back or if it's canceled for good. Which would suck.

The CD/book package is still in the works, but plans to turn it into a Broadway play are on the back burner.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

bummer dude!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Really, It should be retitled as

"The Almost Ghost Brothers of Somewhere Off Broadway!"
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Country
    Country Flag

Now I'm confused. Ms. Mod says:

This project was originally planned as a stage musical for which Steve has written the play and John Mellencamp wrote the music, but it was never intended to be a book.

"The book" is the term for the text part of a musical.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

ell I am confused too John! What I read from Ms Mod is exactly the opposite of what I fread from Bev.

Bottomn Line

1 - is there ever going to be a book?
    2 - is there ever going to be a play/musical?

Spoiler:

The play/musical is way on the back burner. As I understand it, there will be a CD release next year which is supposed to contain "the book," which is simply the text of the proposed musical. Everything but the lyrics. It won't really read like a novel. Of course, they may decide to drop that part of it -- we'll see.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bev

Spoiler:

Country
    Country Flag

Right. I was under the impression the CD/book package mentioned before would contain this text. That's what was meant by "book". Nobody expected an actual novel. More like a play.

According to Rolling Stone, two of the artists performing on the CD will be Elvis Costello and Neko Case

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Right. I was under the impression the CD/book package mentioned before would contain this text. That's what was meant by "book". Nobody expected an actual novel. More like a play.

Am sure that it was also posted by Lilja on his website, with details of the book...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

a bit like reading a screenplay/script I imagine

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    According to Rolling Stone, two of the artists performing on the CD will be Elvis Costello and Neko Case
    Last edited by BillyxRansom; 10-24-2009 at 01:16 PM. Reason: redundant expression

Country
    Country Flag

Default Ghost Brothers of Darkland County

http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessA...ed-890814.html

Suspense has surrounded "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County," the Stephen King-John Mellencamp musical that the Alliance Theatre announced for the 2008-09 season, then promptly delayed. But the on-then-off-then-oft-rumored world premiere is officially back on again, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has learned.

Atlanta's biggest theater, which announced only the first part of its 2011-12 season earlier this month, saved a big surprise for Wednesday's announcement of the second half, carried exclusively in the AJC, including "Ghost Brothers" among its final four plays.

The King-Mellencamp collaboration, with musical direction by renowned producer T-Bone Burnett ("O Brother, Where Art Thou?"), will close the Alliance main stage season in spring 2012. Alliance artistic director Susan V. Booth will direct. That, too, is a surprise if you believe Web sites such as Liljas Library: The World of Stephen King (www.liljas-library.com), which has quoted Mellencamp as saying that Swedish actress Liv Ullmann would helm it.

The Alliance describes the show as a "Southern Gothic musical fraught with mystery, tragedy and ghosts of the past."

The fate of the show itself has been a bit of a mystery. When it was delayed in May 2008, Booth said in an Alliance statement that the creative team was "in agreement with the evolution of the new work-in-progress and the direction it was moving in development" but realized that "the script would not be ready by spring 2009."

There were numerous online reports that the musical would be part of the Alliance's 2010-11 season. But then it wasn't included in the lineup announced in February 2010, and the Alliance had nothing to say officially then on the show's prospects.

"The Alliance one time previously – and one time only – announced this show," theater spokesman Terry Sagedy said Tuesday. "The postponement at that time was due to the challenges of delivering revisions in time for the scheduled production dates.

"Obviously, with a creative team of this stature, there’s a lot of attention and speculation," he continued. "Fact is, we’re going forward with the piece’s premiere at the Alliance in 2012."

Sagedy added that Booth, as the director, had given input on the script.

Also being announced Wednesday: Yasmina Reza's comedy "God of Carnage"; "Fairytale Lives of Russian Girls" by Meg Miroshnik, eighth winner of the Alliance's Kendeda Graduate Playwriting Competition; and Stephen Jeffreys' bluesy drama "I Just Stopped By to See the Man."

The Alliance's earlier 2011-12 announcement was highlighted by the Tony-winning musical "Into the Woods"; a revival of "Golda's Balcony" with its original Broadway star, Tovah Feldshuh; and "Broke," a world premiere comedy by Atlanta playwright Janece Shaffer. A Second City comedy revue, "A Christmas Carol" and the family shows "The Real Tweenagers of Atlanta" and "The Wizard of Oz" completed the initial announcement.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessA...to-944772.html

The Alliance Theatre's "Taste of the Season" event promoting its 2011-12 slate will feature an especially notable special guest May 24-25: Stephen King, whose musical with John Mellencamp, "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County," will receive its world premiere at the Midtown theater next spring.

King will speak live at the Alliance on May 24 and via video on May 25. The event is by invitation only, but the Alliance will extend an invite to anyone purchasing season subscriptions (starting at $80) by May 19.

Also appearing at the promotional event will be Tovah Feldshuh, Broadway star of "Golda’s Balcony"; Atlanta playwright Janece Shaffer ("Broke"); and Alliance artist-in- dialogue Pearl Cleage.

The King-Mellencamp collaboration, with musical direction by renowned producer T-Bone Burnett ("O Brother, Where Art Thou?"), will close the Alliance main stage season. Alliance artistic director Susan V. Booth will direct. The run will be April 4–May 13, 2012.

The Alliance describes "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County" as a "Southern Gothic musical fraught with mystery, tragedy and ghosts of the past."

Information: 404-733-5000.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.accessatlanta.com/AccessA...ng-957296.html

The horror master professed that he was a little frightened to be facing a full house at the Alliance Theatre's "Taste of the Season" event on Tuesday night.

"Sometimes people ask what scares me," Stephen King said during the Alliance's 2011-12 season preview. "Um, these situations."

The crowd howled and the famed author, who didn't seem that nervous to start with, loosened up as he recounted the genesis of "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County," his musical with John Mellencamp that will receive its delayed world premiere at the Alliance next April. He even did a pitchfork-sharp imitation of Mellencamp's Midwestern rasp as he recalled the singer-songwriter approaching him more than a decade ago to collaborate on the chilling story he'd heard after visiting an Indiana lakeside cabin he was thinking about buying.

"The Shining" author tells it better, of course. But in short, "Darkland" is about two teen brothers who drank too much at a dance, drove to the cabin with a girl and drank some more, then had a gun accident that led to a fatal wreck in a car speeding to the hospital. As in most King tales, the deaths are merely part of the creepy backdrop in a dissection of the flaws of human relations.

We later met up with the strikingly genial, sandpaper-voiced writer.

Q: How long have you known John Mellencamp?

A: I've known him since we started working on this. Basically we shared an agent and we didn't know it because it's from CAA [Creative Artists Agency] and they keep really quiet. They're almost like psychiatrists. John was talking with my agent and said, "I'm really looking for somebody to write the book for this thing, someone who's good with scary like Stephen King." And my agent said, "I agent Stephen."

John came down to Florida and told me the idea and I said I'd like to try. Because it's something different.

Q: Is the story that he told you that led to writing the musical true?

A: John Ford in "Liberty Valance" said, "If they give you truth and legend, print the legend." We printed the legend. I don't know how much of it's true. You know what? There's a story like that about every house, every hotel.

Q: Why did the setting move to Mississippi?

A: Because John loves Tennessee Williams and he really liked the idea of it being some sort of a Southern-feeling thing, like Blanche DuBois and all that. And I love William Faulkner and I love stories about the South and it just seemed natural. It's a Gothic thing, so why not make it a Southern Gothic?

Q: How scary is it?

A: If it's staged the right way, with the right lights and the music, it could be pretty scary. It's not for kids, unless they've got the price of admission and then [King rubs his hands like Scrooge] it's, "Come on in, kids!"

Q: Is it hard to be scary in a musical?

A: John was really adamant that he wanted to use a small group. And I said, "Like blue jeans music?" And he said, "Yeah, yeah, we want to get away from all the strings and the high tenor voices and the sort of melodramatic thing." He wanted to do a kind of country rock sort of crossover, more like "Big River" than the opera.

He really wanted to do this thing about sibling rivalry. At first I saw the ghosts as almost comforting because we see them and the people in the story don't. But it turned out to be pretty scary. I don't have any real feeling like that because it's a musical, that it ought to be this, that or the other thing. It ought to be what it is. And John adapted his music to the story. It's great.

Q: Did he stay with the songs while you concentrated on the script or did you get in each other's wheelhouses?

A: Yeah, we did. John is not shy about telling anybody to change anything. I'm a little bit more shy. I did a 20- or 30-page treatment. And then we tinkered it out a bit. And then I did a script and I would put in, "Here's [where] a song [goes]. It should be about brotherly love or brotherly hate." John wrote the songs. And then my job was to go back after he'd done the demos and kind of build pockets for them, so there'd be transitions in and out. It was an interesting challenge.

Q: Do you feel like you'll be tinkering up to the premiere?

A: It's got to be pretty much done at this stage. Because John's got this other life where he's on tour all the time and I have to try to write a book this summer. I've got an idea for one but I'm going to have to tour [to promote] the book in the fall and I'll get down here for rehearsals. I'd love to be here for some of the casting, but it's really [Alliance artistic director and "Darkland" director] Susan Booth's baby at this point. And if Susan says I need this or I need that, I'll do what I can.

Q: The show was announced for the 2008-09 season. Why was it delayed?

A: Fired the director. He was really New York. John just didn't feel like it was working. John's a great guy. [The director] is a great guy. They just didn't see eye to eye and finally I got tired of being like the mediator.

Q: So you feel good about where you are now?

A: Yeah, real good. I love the Alliance. You know, it's been so long that we've been involved in this that it's easy [for "Darkland"] to get a little bit flat. But the readings are energizing.

Q: Did you have any say in the musicians for the soundtrack album (a two-CD set that's expected to be released this fall)?

A: John and I and [producer] T Bone [Burnett] got together in Nashville. And we talked about everybody from Kris Kristofferson, who's about 70, to Justin Bieber's kid brother. John knew some people I really admired, like Sheryl Crow, and I really pushed for Rosanne Cash. She's a beautiful singer. We both loved the idea of Elvis Costello.

Q: What's the ultimate goal for "Darkland?"

John always wanted to be on Broadway, see his name in lights on the Great White Way. And I'm not adverse to that. But my big thing about it is, like, one step at a time. Let's see if we can have success in Atlanta.

Ultimately what I wanted to do and what John wanted to do is kind of like the anti-"Spider-Man." We wanted to do a musical that had modest aspirations, modest casting, modest staging. Humble, but modest. And if that happens, I thought maybe we'll have some kind of a life, regional theater, community theater, that sort of thing. I'd love to see that happen.

In his own words: Stephen Kind recounts his first meeting with John Mellencamp about "Ghost Brothers of Darkland County."

"He told me a story. He assured me that this story was true. He lives in Indiana, in Bloomington. His wife decided they were going to buy a cabin on the lake and they looked at a couple of places. They went by a nearby store and the proprietor said, ‘You know, that house is haunted.'

"And John said, ‘No what happened.'

"And the proprietor said that in the '50s there were two brothers, one 18 and 16, who were at a dance with a girl who was in between them. She was 17. They had a few drinks after the dance and decided they were going to go to the boys' parents' cabin by the lake, which was the one John was interested in buying. They went there and had a few more drinks. And the older brother dared the younger brother. There was a rifle in the house and he put an apple on top of his head and dared his younger brother to shoot it off. Well, the kid probably wouldn't have done it if he was sober, but he wasn't sober. So he took the rifle and he shot and instead of getting the apple, he hit his brother in the head. So the brother who had done the shooting and the girl were hysterical with terror, with fear. And they grabbed the older brother and put him in the car and drove out of there. About a half mile down the road, they were doing 80. The younger brother lost control, hit a tree and they were all killed.

"And John thought, I don't know if there are ghosts but there's a story in that. He came to me and said [King laughs] ‘We could do a musical on that!'

"I said, ‘Now John, it sure as hell won't be ‘My Fair Lady.'"

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.liljas-library.com/article.php?id=2368

Here is an interview with King from when The Alliance Theatre had their "Taste of the Season" that took place on May 24th. For more info, head over to The Alliance Theatre.

Gunslinger Apprentice stevohump will become famous soon enough stevohump's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Tickets go on sale July 11. Does anyone have any idea how much the tickets are gonna be.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast