Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The Long Road Home Discussion Thread

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

*Bows* Glad to help.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Along the Path of the Beam Sympathy For The Devil is on a distinguished road Sympathy For The Devil's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I havent actually read any of the comics. Are they worth reading? Like im not really a comics person and I dont wana end up picturing things how they are in the comic in my head when i read the book, if that makes sense. So yeah, anyway, im not sure if this the right place to ask, but i was wondering if someone could give me an honest opinion on whether its worthwhile me reading the comics or not.

Thanks

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you wish to not have the comic provide a picture in your head, I would say read the books first, then read the comics.
    The first 7 were covering people places and things that occured in DTIv Wizard and Glass. The next series will be "new" stories.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sympathy For The Devil View Post
    I havent actually read any of the comics. Are they worth reading? Like im not really a comics person and I dont wana end up picturing things how they are in the comic in my head when i read the book, if that makes sense. So yeah, anyway, im not sure if this the right place to ask, but i was wondering if someone could give me an honest opinion on whether its worthwhile me reading the comics or not.

Thanks

If you haven't read all the books yet, I'd do that first. I'm not a big comics person either, and I really loved these. The artwork alone is worth the price.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree, the comics are worth the price and I can't believe we are going to now get new stories.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Along the Path of the Beam Sympathy For The Devil is on a distinguished road Sympathy For The Devil's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks everyone for answerin my question, iv read all the books so il guess i will check out the comics after all, well after i save up a bit of dosh anyway.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks
    That is exactly how I used to feel about music videos. I never wanted to see them for songs that I loved and had my own mental imagery of.

You've read the books, so you know the full story that appears in the first story arc, so if you buy it you do run the risk of it changing your mental image somewhat. As stated by the others, this new story arc will be new territory.

Of course, you can always just assume that the comic books represent a parallel story in one of the many alternate worlds and is therefore enjoyable in its own right, but isn't necessarily the true Roland & Co. that you know and love.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

How am I just now seeing this thread?

That cover is fan-freaking-tastic!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Thanks
    That is exactly how I used to feel about music videos. I never wanted to see them for songs that I loved and had my own mental imagery of.

You've read the books, so you know the full story that appears in the first story arc, so if you buy it you do run the risk of it changing your mental image somewhat. As stated by the others, this new story arc will be new territory.

Of course, you can always just assume that the comic books represent a parallel story in one of the many alternate worlds and is therefore enjoyable in its own right, but isn't necessarily the true Roland & Co. that you know and love.
    Well i just bought all the comics off amazon, im actually really lookin forward to reading them now hearing all the posotive things taht alot of u guys have had to say. Hopefully they'll be here soon.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I think you'll really like them. I am not a fan of comics as a general rule, and I LOVED these. The artwork alone is worth the price of admission.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post

Thanks

If you haven't read all the books yet, I'd do that first. I'm not a big comics person either, and I really loved these. The artwork alone is worth the price.
    How come I cannot view the link on "Artwork" provided in your post?
    I get this error message:

wizardsrainbow, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
    If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm...let me check Wiz.

It might have something to do with viewing books. Because that is where that goes.

Should be fine now.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Those darn autolinks.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

no interesting news?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure if this is somewhere else on the site, but interesting article at newsarama:
    Newsarama: Robin, the final page of Gunslinger Born pretty much cleared up any ambiguity about a sequel. That said, can you remind us of the larger set up of the story as King initially saw it from that first meeting with Marvel, way back, and how what's coming out as The Long Road Home fits into that? Is what's coming in this miniseries a chunk of the larger plot that he came up with at that meeting?

Robin Furth: During that first meeting Steve really laid the groundwork for the series. He wanted the story to begin with Roland’s coming of age test, then move on to his adventures in Hambry which are recounted in Wizard and Glass. After that Roland and his friends return to Gilead, and once they return home things really start to fall apart for the Gunslingers. I don’t want to say too much, except that our tet is going to encounter a lot of death and destruction. The Good Man’s forces regroup after their defeat in Hambry, and they rise triumphant—eventually sacking Gilead. Roland and his friends survive, but . . . well I’ve probably let too many cats out of the bag already! At the end of the series we’ll witness the infamous battle of Jericho Hill, which is the Gunslingers’ last stand. Steve went into a lot of detail about that final battle! What Steve envisioned in that original meeting was a series of thirty comics divided into five individual story arcs which function as individual tales. The Long Road Home is part two of five. Because it covers a smaller time period than Gunslinger Born, it will consist of five comics whereas Gunslinger Born consisted of seven.

The Long Road Home is exactly what the title implies. It covers our tet’s difficult journey back to Gilead and is a part of the larger story that Steve envisioned, both in the novels and during that meeting. As Dark Tower fans know, over the course of the five novels Roland tells us a lot about his early adventures. The Long Road Home expands on many of those tales.

NRAMA: Peter, you'd said previously that you'd be willing to continue on with these if Marvel asked. So - from the ad in the last issue of Gunslinger Born, they asked? Did it take you very long to say, "yes?"

Peter David: Not at all. The opportunity to work with such talented individuals as Robin and Jae and Richard is a once in a lifetime opportunity. So being given a twice in a lifetime opportunity...I couldn't wait to get started.

NRAMA: Robin, can you go into the continuity and the “when” you’re going to be exploring?

RF: The Long Road Home begins where Gunslinger Born left off, namely with Susan Delgado’s terrible death and Roland’s horror as he sees that death reflected in the evil seeing sphere known as Maerlyn’s Grapefruit. In the Gunslinger Born, Cuthbert and Alain’s devotion to Roland was tested, but in The Long Road Home it’s tested again. Their leader is gone—his mind and soul have been swallowed by the Grapefruit—so they are thrown back upon themselves. As we learn at the end of the final comic book . . . “and the thing that will ride west with Alain and Bert toward Gilead will not be Roland, or even a ghost of Roland. Like the moon at the close of its cycle, Roland is gone.” Well, in The Long Road Home, we’ll find out just where Roland went, and how horrible that place was! We’ll also discover how Cuthbert and Alain managed to get Roland’s body home, and how Sheemie managed to follow them.

PAD: Right - we're now into the realm of exploring events that were only hinted at in the books. We're filling in the gaps, as it were. And there is no one better equipped to be charting this endeavor than Robin. Aside from King himself, she's the foremost expert on Midworld. If I were told to do this on my own, I'd probably be curling up in a ball somewhere.

NRAMA: So is what we're going to be seeing in Long Road Home an all original tale in that Dark Tower fans won't have read it before?

RF: Yes, it’s going to be an original tale, but it will be a familiar world for long term fans. As all Dark Tower readers know, over the course of the five Dark Tower novels Roland tells us about many of his boyhood adventures. Sometimes these adventures are told in full; sometimes we only get tantalizing hints. The Long Road Home expands upon many of those stories as well as explaining some of the mysteries of the series, such as how Sheemie’s psychic powers became so powerful. I really hope fans enjoy discovering these things as much as I did.

NRAMA: That said, you certainly proved your mettle in the back up stories in Gunslinger Born, but what's it like to be co-crafting these stories with King? As I mentioned at the panel in Charlotte, what you and Peter were doing was pretty rarefied air in sharing the storytelling with him, but this - this is like super-rarefied air...or something...

RF: Thanks so much for your kind words about the stories. I’ve loved writing them but as you can imagine the writing is a little scary at times since I’m trying to remain true to so many things—the Dark Tower universe, Roland’s mythic history and ancestry, the saga of Arthur Eld as glimpsed in the Dark Tower novels, and most of all the vision of Steve King. As I said during the panel, I try to run my story ideas past Steve just to make sure I’m hitting the mark. I think the longest back-and-forth we had over email was about the origins of the Wizard’s Rainbow. That was a lot of fun, and quite a bit of info about the relationship between Maerlyn and Walter came to light, but I’ll save that for a later story! Steve has been incredibly supportive of these tales. (He sent me an email telling me that I’ve developed into an excellent tale-spinner, which I think I’m going to have cast in gold so that I can put it above my writing desk forever!) That being said, I’m about to send him another batch of tales for The Long Road Home, so I hope he likes those too!

NRAMA: What's the working process like on this story, given that it's not coming from a previously established novel? Is Steve more actively involved in the plotting with this one, or did he deliver a outline that you and Peter are working from, and the workflow is similar to before?

RF: In many ways it’s similar to before in that the plot is based on Steve’s ideas and Steve’s plan. However, instead of drawing the details from a single novel as in Gunslinger Born, to plot The Long Road Home I had to dip into multiple sources. I had my notes from that initial meeting with Steve and I had the novels where—in more places than you might imagine—Roland tells us about his return trip from Hambry to Gilead. My Dark Tower Concordance gives descriptions and page refs for all of Roland’s early adventures, so it was pretty easy to go to the exact scenes that we needed to transform into comic book adventures. In the end though, everything goes through Steve - he’s both Creative Editor and Executive Editor. I’ve just sent him a section of The Long Road Home to look over (it’s in the process of additional changes), so we’ll see what alterations he makes! As I said, he’s been really supportive of this project and likes the fact that we’re all so enthusiastic.

NRAMA: Back when you started this and we spoke, you tried, and said you’d had some success, at covering up your nervousness. Seven issues later, and a new miniseries on the horizon, have those nerves quieted? Has the working relationships with Peter and Jae changed in the interim time?

RF: I think the nervousness has quieted down some, especially because everybody has been so enthusiastic about the project and so supportive of what we’ve done. Steve has been great, Peter, Jae, and Richard have been great, and the editors—Ralph Macchio, John Barber and Nicole Boose—have been absolutely fantastic. I think the biggest change is that Peter, Jae, and I have been working together long enough now that we’re not afraid to really hash things out when changes are needed. I think that’s great, because the final product will be a lot stronger for the group work.

NRAMA: Story-wise, and yes, we’re looking for more teases, there’s still some elements of Wizard and Glass to get through, right? A very tragic return to his mother, for one…

RF: Ah! That’s the hard part isn’t it? Telling enough but not too much . . .

There’s definitely some Wizard and Glass to get to, namely the period of time when Roland’s mind is trapped in the Grapefruit. As Steve King mentioned in one of his emails, a lot happens while Roland is in that Grapefruit—a lot of things he doesn’t consciously remember in the Dark Tower books . . . like perhaps meeting the Crimson King himself? (HA!) Readers will also see how well Cuthbert and Alain cope when their leader Roland is out of commission, and they have to take care of him while out-riding their enemies. There are going to be mutants and collapsing bridges and debilitating poisons . . . We’re also going to get to see some of Mid-World’s other Dogans—places where magic and technology can be merged by the evil followers of the Outer Dark. So, much is to come, and I don’t want to ruin it for you!

NRAMA: Finally then, how far are we away from the Battle at Jericho Hill, time-wise for Roland? In terms of the miniseries, is that what all of them are building to?

RF: Yep, we’re building up to that battle. We’ll be forced to witness the carnage of it in the final volume, which will be volume 5, or the last six issues of a thirty issue run. The Long Road Home is five issues long—issues 8 to 12. By the end of issue 12 the boys make it to the gates of Gilead, but Gilead itself is far from safe. John Farson and Walter O’Dim are hatching some wicked plans…

NRAMA: King went back and re-worked the first novel, he did so with an eye on making the entire work more cohesive and whole. Will he, or you, be doing any of that with The Long Road Home, that is, tightening the larger storyline, adding in references to things that were seen in the novels, either before or after Wizard and Glass, or foreshadowing specifics of what is to come?

RF: Most definitely. While working on these plots I’ve really tried to keep the bigger picture in mind. Long time readers of the Dark Tower novels will recognize references to the final books of the series every bit as much as they see the stories taken from the early books. That’s been one of the great pleasures of working on these comics. Luckily we always have Steve to back us up, otherwise it would be scary. But this way, it’s like skydiving with a parachute you know works. You throw yourself out into the blue and know that you’ll land safely, but wow—what a trip!

NRAMA: Finally Robin - you and Peter are one miniseries into this, and have started on the second. Safe to say that the Tower and Roland have a hold on you as much as you do on it?

RF: Most definitely! I’ve been dreaming about that Tower for years now. One of these days I’m going to draw me a doorway and follow Roland. Won’t he be surprised!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

John

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This is amazing Jerome, thanks for posting it. I seriously hung on every word and just about lost it at this part. It sounds great!!

There’s definitely some Wizard and Glass to get to, namely the period of time when Roland’s mind is trapped in the Grapefruit. As Steve King mentioned in one of his emails, a lot happens while Roland is in that Grapefruit—a lot of things he doesn’t consciously remember in the Dark Tower books . . . like perhaps meeting the Crimson King himself? (HA!) Readers will also see how well Cuthbert and Alain cope when their leader Roland is out of commission, and they have to take care of him while out-riding their enemies. There are going to be mutants and collapsing bridges and debilitating poisons . . . We’re also going to get to see some of Mid-World’s other Dogans—places where magic and technology can be merged by the evil followers of the Outer Dark. So, much is to come, and I don’t want to ruin it for you!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    This is amazing Jerome, thanks for posting it. I seriously hung on every word and just about lost it at this part.
    Same here
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this series is going to be totally awesome.

I think this series might make me a Dark Tower fan!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it's going to be great.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The official release date is March 5, 2008

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

OMGOMGOMG!!

I am really excited about this, to the point that I would type the above.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

In the immortal words of Beavis & Butthead... "This is gonna be cool."

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    I think this series might make me a Dark Tower fan!
    Every Dark Tower fan must wear cufflinks....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/The-Dark-Tower...QQcmdZViewItem

Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast