Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Thread: Gunslinger Born Discussion Thread

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Read Wizard and Glass before you read any of the comics. The first arc, Gunslinger Born, is contemporaneous with Wizard and Glass. The following arcs are all supposed to take place AFTER Wizard and Glass but before Wolves of the Calla (book five), if I'm not mistaken.

John
    The new arcs are set between the back-story elements of Wizard and Glass, and Little Sister of Eluria. I.e. way before the Gunslinger let alone Wolves of the Calla.

As has been mentioned some of the creatures and mythology described in the back stories of both arcs don't appear until the later books, but whether that is truly a spoiler though I'm not sure since a lot of it is only in hindsight (as Cyber says.)

If in doubt, I'd just read the rest of the novels first, especially if you're likely to do that at some point anyway. If decided to read the comics first though, I don't think it would spoil things that badly, but definitely read Wizard and Glass first.

Along the Path of the Beam Hallvard is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hallvard View Post
    Thanks a lot. I'll wait then. And CyberGhostFace, what issues? I've only got the first arc; The Gunslinger Born. Do you mean these or issues from the next arc?

Not sure whether to read it after Wizard and Glass or the series now :/
    I was referring to the next arc. Maybe the spoiler is only in hindsight, but for someone who finished the series, it was pretty big.

There's nothing that big in the first arc, but some of the mythology from the later books are referenced in the first arc, and there are some additional scenes with characters who appeared later in the series after W&G.
    So the spoilers are mostly in hindsight? I mean the spoilers after W&G, because I've decided reading that first.

If a character from the comics reappears in the later books, it wouldn't really bother me.

I also have the collected book, with only the comics. Looks kinda leathery, and it says "The Dark Tower". Does this include these "Robin Firth" stories that I should avoid?

You're of great help, by the way, I'm really grateful

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

No, the hardcover edition does not contain the Robin Firth articles/tales. Those are, so far at least, only available with the separate comics.

John

Country
    Country Flag

So I can pretty much read it after W&G? Thanks for fast reply

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hallvard View Post
    So I can pretty much read it after W&G? Thanks for fast reply
    For Gunslinger Born, that would be fine I'd say.

There is a spoiler for DT7 in the next arc The Long Road Home though. It doesn't spoil much in plot though, but it will spoil a particular surprise
    Spoiler:
    involving one of the characters
    to some extent. I don't think it would ruin the story for you though.

Country
    Country Flag

Okay. I'll get The Long Road Home after TDT7 then. Problem solved.

I dare not read the spoiler..

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

it might be easier to list the things it won't spoil

Country
    Country Flag

I'll totally wait before reading The Long Road Home.

I only felt The Gunslinger Born was sorta urgent, as I had already bought it.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As said above, read WAG first.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll actually go one farther and say that you should go ahead and put the Marvel books away and read the entire DT series before you read Marvel's take. This will allow you to enjoy the Marvel books even more because you will be able to look back on the cannon series and see what they did with the ideas that King gave them. You won't have to worry about spoiling anything that can be important later, and you will still enjoy the Marvel series.

I am a HUGE proponent of comics for good reading, but in this case, the comics pale in comparison and will offer only the barest on skeletons to the real story yet to come for you. The comics will bring some emotion, but you will hate yourself if you stumble upon an important plot point and don't receive the full impact of it because the comic cannot impart the emotion that King's words do.

I love comics, but Marvel doesn't have enough room in their stories to bring some of the power and emotion that I have seen from other tales. They have a lot to live up to and, while the stories are well told, they fall short of the source.

I implore you, Read the entire series before you read the Marvel books.

Eyes Like Silver Dollars Tvmorbid is on a distinguished road Tvmorbid's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wasnt able to find a comic store near where I live that stocked the series so I'm glad there's a hardcover collecting them. Cant wait!

BEEP BEEP Richie! They ALL float down here. When you're down here with us, you'll float too!

Gunslinger Apprentice bluelph24 is on a distinguished road bluelph24's Avatar

Default Comic stories

I was just wondering if any of you supposed that there would be a collection in the future of the stories and maps and guidebooks (you know, all the extras to the comic) in some sort of book format. that's one of my biggest dislikes about the omnibus, it doesn't really have any of the extras. what d'you guys think?

So it goes.

"There is no such thing as a moral or an immoral book. Books are well written, or badly written. That is all. "
    - Oscar Wilde

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought we had a similar thread for this, but damned it I can find it anywhere.

I think it can go one of two ways. Either they won't do it, because they want you to purchase the individual comic books, or they're maybe going to wait until they're done with all the arcs, and combine the extras into a separate book.

It will be interesting to see what they do with it.

And I agree, that's one of the things I don't like about the omnibus either.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Default The Dark Tower : Gunslinger Born PAPERBACK

I was doing some surfing around the web, and found a site that indicates that Gunslinger Born is going to be out in PAPERBACK on January 30th, 2009.

The ISBN listed is : 0785121455

I looked over at Amazon and this ISBN pulls up a "notify me" page indicating it is not currently available. The details on that page indicate publication in December 2010.

Weird.

I couldn't find anything about it at Marvel's site at all.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That is weird.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Default Gunslinger Born Discussion Thread

This thread will be used as a catch-all for the Gunslinger Born comics/hardcover.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21