Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Trek

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i must say i wa tempted to use it for a sig, esp edited

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I truly loved this movie. I had tears in my eyes during many a part, and my husband's shorts will never be the same, since I was grasping them so hard during the movie

Here's hoping there's a sequel!
    i must say i agree with you, i thought the actors they got where brilliant and esp loved zach quinto as spock, more so because he is such a good sylar in heroes that i was unsure if he could make me beleive he was spock, but he soo did. and how young did he look????

i cant answer your question unfortunatley but think it may be something to do with one of those paradox things.

behind you on the sequel though

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

for those of you with facebook. star trek easter egg contest.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I just got back from seeing Star Trek, it was...

AWESOME!

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Meh.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give it a 4.

Star Trek works best when it comments on the human condition. This film had little of that: it was a simplistic action film that put style over substance. Where was the moral? What was the message? The meaning? What was the point? The issues which were raised are hard to comprehend in any sense outside of that of being conventions used by the filmmakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    ...I have a question for those who have seen this movie already:

Spoiler:
    Why couldn't Spock just go back to the future and destroy the sun ahead of time so Romulus was never destroyed? Or was there too much of a time difference because of the whole Romulan ship coming through 25 years ago?

Just curious.
    Spoiler:
    Apparently, Spock had no choice about time travelling. Still, someone in the later generations should be able to do something about it. What does this film say about the science of reality or about the nature of humanity's place?
    The reason that fiction franchises have been given continuous storylines is to reflect the static nature of our real lives, and thus give us dramas that we can relate to. If the world around me were pure chaos, and everything could change without warning, I wouldn't know what to do with myself. Preventing any descent into such madness is one of the things which heroes like James Kirk have always fought against.

I think that this Star Trek's creators failed to understand the subtle morals of the past and focused too much on the money to be made from shallower audiences.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Hmmm... I don't know Mike. I wish there was more substance and ontological discussion, but there was some... but maybe you're right about what little there is basically being filler. I was going to comment on leadership, friendship, integrity... but you're right, its not as poignant as it seems.

Spoiler:
    It was strange seeing very little emotion conveyed in the midst of genocide. Exterminating the Vulcans was an interesting choice...

Traveler Geomon is on a distinguished road Geomon's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding
    Country
    Country Flag

It was ok. I'd have to watch it again to see if I really enjoyed it.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    ... I was going to comment on leadership, friendship, integrity... but you're right, its not as poignant as it seems.
    Well, in any case, its not nearly as poignant as the treatment of those themes in The Wrath of Khan.
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Spoiler:
    It was strange seeing very little emotion conveyed in the midst of genocide. Exterminating the Vulcans was an interesting choice...
    Spoiler:
    Right: you'd think that that would have been motive enough to try to restore the original timeline.

Star Trek: Generations

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Okay, finally saw it.
    I liked it.
    I didn't love it.
    It doesn't touch Khan as far as storytelling goes, nor does it get close to Voyage Home in humor or warmth.
    Truly appreciated the "in memory of" after the credits but really wish they had been before the credits, rather than dead last.
    I get this odd kind of feeling that people are forgetting Gene in all this hoopla.

ETA: TNG

Oh, and best casting, IMHO - Karl Urban. Hands down.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Okay, finally saw it.
    I liked it.
    I didn't love it.
    It doesn't touch Khan as far as storytelling goes, nor does it get close to Voyage Home in humor or warmth.

Oh, and best casting, IMHO - Karl Urban. Hands down.
    i thought all 3 of the 'big guns' were fantastic casting.

in terms of the story line, tbh i was expecting it to be really bad so because my expectations where so low, i thought it was really good.

which i know is a really topsy turvy way of looking at things - but hey thats me

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, I liked it - but with all the hub-bub I was expecting it to be amazingly great and really, I didn't think so.

I really thought they made Kirk into a bit of a jerk, which I didn't like. Arrogant and cocky, but not a jerk.

Oh, and why was She-Hulk there?

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Saw it over the weekend and loved it!! Kirk with blue eyes and Vulcan's sky being the wrong color bothered me, but that's just my inner geek coming out. The casting was brilliant! Even my husband (the uber-Trek-geek) loved it, and I expected him to nitpick it to death. I could've lived without the
    Spoiler:
    Uhura/Spock thing, though when watching the original series, I did always get the feeling those two had a deeper relationship than was ever explored on screen.

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

My Mood
    Gay

Donna - I really could have done without that as well, but sort of ignored it.

( the inner geek in me wondered if perhaps they were trying to steal a little of the TOS's thunder, what with the Uhura/Kirk kiss being the first ever inter-racial kiss on network television )

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i agree with both of the above, i dont think it was done to steal thunder i think it was just done to sex things up. rather stupidly if you ask me,

My Mood
    Gay

You guys have to try this... it's too funny.

http://www.trekyourself.com/

i posted mine in the other trek thread, pammikins.

My Mood
    Gay

Oops. Sorry. My girl just sent me one and I figured I'd share.

there's no reason it can't be both places.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched it on Saturday, and it was even better than I had expected!
    I loved it!

As if I needed another reason to worship J.J. Abrams, Zachary Quinto, and Eric Bana.

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I actually kind of liked
    Spoiler:
    the Uhura/Spock deal, just because it's so hard to imagine Spock having a sex life. It made him more human (or Vulcan) in my mind.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

They should have called this movie "Kirk and Spock's Excellent Adventure."
    Spoiler:
    Nimoy was all like, "The future will be totally non-triumphant if you two dudes get separated."

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Spoiler:
    Nimoy was all like, "The future will be totally non-triumphant if you two dudes get separated."
    OMG

I'm at work, and I think I just broke my spleen trying not to laugh loud enough to wake up my patients.

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Spoiler:
    hahahahah...Kirk and Spock go to Whitecastle! I mean it already had Harold...where the f was Kumar?

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6XmyduTW4s"]YouTube - My Favorite Movie (Star Trek vs. Star Wars)[/ame]

My Mood
    Gay

My only response to that -- Let The Wookiee Win.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast