Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there a new direction for horror?

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Is there a new direction for horror?

It seems to me that horror, like fashion, has lost a bit of its originality and we're now just rehashing old genres as fashion does old styles (incidentally, I'd like to see a horror where the fashion designer who bought back the 80's look is horribly and gruesomely killed )

Has horror reached the end of the spectrum of possibilities with the likes of nothings-shocking-so-we'll-gross-you-out films like Hostel and Saw? Which direction will it take next?

Thoughts please afficionados

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Horror has been bad for a long time (well, almost forever) besides a few gems and some guilty pleasures. I like some bad horror movies but I know they're bad.

I think horror movies need to go really psychological. I hate when I go to a horror movie and I think 'oh, here comes a jump scare (often the common random cat)' and everyone screams, then talks about how freaky it is. Jump scares should be used once or twice in a movie and should be enhanced by setting a good atmosphere.

Too many horror movies are about going over the top; blood, gore, deaths, monsters etc. I'd like to see more horror movies use very subtle things. Horror movies work best when the situation is realistic and believable. If you utlize the supernatural in a highly realistic setting it works as per The Exorcist in a normal house and a little girl. I enjoyed Silent Hill for it's atmosphere but some dull parts, bad script and acting killed it.

There are three key things to a creepy, gripping horror movie:

1. Music/sound. I put this as number one because it supplements the visuals to intensify the experience. In some cases, no sound adds the chill.

2. Visuals. Now, by visuals I don't mean CGI and fancy stuff. Just finding the right shots, angles, lighting, colours, environtment to set the right mood.

3. Story. Many horror movies have gotten by with a basic story but number 1 and 2 are done great (descent). For a horror movie you just need a gimmick or an attraction: monster, ghost whatever. To have a good story to go with an original/semi-original gimmick is huge. I like The Ring for all these reasons. You can see with crap like Hostel how a gimmick is everything as the movie has no substance.

Horror movies are just slapped together now. I hate it.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have been very disappointed with horror lately, but probably not for the same reason. Its too damn gory man, just because we can do something doesn't mean we should.

I am more of an intellectual thriller kind of guy so I don't go for the slash stuff anyway but I think the actual head coming off could be done in silhouette like the old days.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Matt, I agree with you completely!

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I've noticed that horror movies are pretty much just as lame as they were when I was growing up, only in different ways. I refuse to watch movies like Hostel or Saw. I don't want that sort of graphic imagery in my head.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, you can't unsee stuff.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I agree, you can't unsee stuff.
    it depends on whether your perception is primarily visual, audial, or verbal. I can easily "unsee" whatever I see, not only horror, but I can't "unread" anything, so horror books are a lot more "horrible" for me than movies.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmmm...that is a good point. I am that on all levels.

I can't unsee, unread, unhear, unrealize anything.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't really mind gore, jump scares, or anything like that. I mean done properly they can be useful in a horror movie.

I'd agree totally with mattrick's three key elements and I'd probably put them in the same order.

Honestly though I liked Hostel (although I'd never argue it was a great horror movie and I thought The Ring was abysmal. I didn't understand why people liked it. I guess I just didn't get it. Generally though I've seen very little Japanese horror that does anything for me, with the exception of Takashi Miike who does often lean toward the gory end of horror.

As to the original question of whether the genre has lost it's originality. I think it's been a long time since it had any. They are all new twists on old archetypes. It is just how you choose to use those existing archetypes. There seems to be a tendency to put focus on getting a few creatively gory kill scenes in (which I don't have a problem with) and neglecting the development of the story.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Honestly though I liked Hostel (although I'd never argue it was a great horror movie and I thought The Ring was abysmal. I didn't understand why people liked it.
    While I was the opposite, I didn't think much of Hostel and loved The Ring..the second The Ring I thought was awful. The Ring scared me, thats why I liked it. I love a good scare and it did it.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

And without being too gory.

The Ring didn't scare me but I would almost rather that.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

More horror movies need for focus on it's characters as well as setting the mood. Both should co-exist as per The Descent.

It's funny how horror movies now rely on shock effects when in essence it really isn't all that shocking. Gorefests have ruined the effect of loosely used gore in other horror movies. Gore should reflect the type of movie. Some movies gore cannot be avoid but it can be exploited. A zombie movie needs to have gore for realism, while a vampire movie needs an emphasis on blood. High gore used well if it's spaced out but if it's constant, well, what's the point?

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I loved The Descent too, great horror movie.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

There is defintely a difference in horror movies now. I grew up on Freddy, Jason, Vampires, Werewolves...just good scary stuff. People can't be very creative when making movies anymore, maybe it's because so much has been covered. Now, creators have turned to just plain disturbing stuff. Scary movies are just about psycho, torturing, murderers now. It's one thing to pull the covers tight because you almost worry that a monster may get you in your bed (that's in good fun), but I don't want to go to bed thinking about how demented PEOPLE are. Michael Myers is a good example. He was scary BECAUSE he was crazy, but he wasn't methodic in his killing like all these new characters in scary movies. He didn't take them into a dak cellar and torture them for days. He just follwed people around, and when he got close enough, he killed them. That's classic scary in my world.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave
    He just follwed people around, and when he got close enough, he killed them. That's classic scary in my world.
    I believe the following was more scary than the actual killing? I think we must draw the line between "scary" and "revolting", "disgusting", "nauseating", stuff like that. I've just seen the first two Saw movies; it is not scary, it's sick. There ought to be a special name for such movies - gut-spillers, vomit-inducers, something along those lines, - but not "horror".

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave
    He just follwed people around, and when he got close enough, he killed them. That's classic scary in my world.
    I believe the following was more scary than the actual killing? I think we must draw the line between "scary" and "revolting", "disgusting", "nauseating", stuff like that. I've just seen the first two Saw mivies; it is not scary, it's sick. There ought to be a special name for such movies - gut-spillers, vomit-inducers, something along those lines, - but not "horror".
    Yeah but if you think this way we should have much more types. Sometimes horrile things can get into drama chategory.

Roland would have understood.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Ring, The Grudge, Dark Water etc are all japanese films and the originals are much better than the american remakes, so please try and watch the originals if you can get hold of them. The original for The Ring is awesome

I find the way the Japanese incorporate modern technology into their art and modern day myths really interesting - Ghost in the Shell et al. Their culture is eerily plugged in and its showing in their media expression.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

What Zone said, I agree

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've just seen the first two Saw mivies; it is not scary, it's sick
    And that is the truth...

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

And that is the truth...

Nods in agreement

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Storyslinger View Post
    And that is the truth...

Nods in agreement
    [nods to the nod in agreement]

Country
    Country Flag

*wood*

Banned Jimmy is on a distinguished road

I've grown really tired of horror movies where the scariest thing is how loud the music gets when something supposedly terrifying happens.

I jumped 4 different times watching Resident Evil : Extinction and it wasn't even scary. I hate that.

Country
    Country Flag

go watch Alien again

Country
    Country Flag

have watched the third Saw, too. Well, if the very first one at least aroused some unhealthy curiosity, and the second was mildly entertaining (in a way a computer quest is when you're watching it over someone's shoulder...), the third was a sheer triumph of idiocy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast