Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Keep track of your books

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I am not sure if this is the right place for this question. Does anyone use anything like Book Collector to catalog their books by way of the computer? I am on Library Thing (of course, because it is free) I love Library thing, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I would like to have more than one place with a catalog of my books.

I have book collector version 6 and book collector connect. I think book collector connect is great, expect you can't print from it. (I like to have a printed list of my books so I have a hard copy instead of one you need to have access to a computer or the net.)

Earlier this week book collector announced version 7. From what I have see it looks great. I want to get it, but I have subscriptions to comic collector and comic collector connect already. This can be very pricey! I also have a subscription to comic price guide. These subscriptions can run $20 a pop.

Does any body use any of the above mentioned web sites to catalog their books? Which site do you think is best to use?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I use a simple Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my collection and my wishlist. Just text, no images. I also have a folder on my computer with images of the different items I own and others that I'm interested in (everything numbered according to Justin Brooks' Bibliography, yeah, I'm a scientist). I can see the value of a dedicated database either on the computer or online but for me, my 'archive' works fine.

But I'm sure there are others who used more advanced book software, let's wait for them to chime in!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I use an Excel spreadsheet also.

John

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Someday when I have time I plan to make a database in Microsoft Access complete with multiple pictures, scans, all bibliographic information, etc and displayed in proper AACR2 catalog card format (complete with Library of Congress subject entries, access points and call numbers).

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I am not sure if this is the right place for this question. Does anyone use anything like Book Collector to catalog their books by way of the computer? I am on Library Thing (of course, because it is free) I love Library thing, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket. I would like to have more than one place with a catalog of my books.

I have book collector version 6 and book collector connect. I think book collector connect is great, expect you can't print from it. (I like to have a printed list of my books so I have a hard copy instead of one you need to have access to a computer or the net.)

Earlier this week book collector announced version 7. From what I have see it looks great. I want to get it, but I have subscriptions to comic collector and comic collector connect already. This can be very pricey! I also have a subscription to comic price guide. These subscriptions can run $20 a pop.

Does any body use any of the above mentioned web sites to catalog their books? Which site do you think is best to use?
    I use bookTome - it is completely free and has no ads. I think it's great.

http://booktome.shanemca.com/

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I use Excel also. I keep records on two different computers and I usually put a copy on disc as well.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I purchased http://www.collectorz.com/book/ $40 (I think)

It's built on Access and completely customizable to my taste. I setup my copy for:

Title, Author, Format, Limited Edition #, Current Value, what I paid.

It also allows me to put in custom pictures, notes & tags.

Easy to use, easy to backup and store elsewhere.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Personally, I use a simple Excel spreadsheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I use an Excel spreadsheet also.
    Quote Originally Posted by lophophoras View Post
    I use Excel also.
    Me too.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post

Great question! There is a thread dedicated to exactly this topic here:

How to: Keep track of your books
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    I purchased http://www.collectorz.com/book/ $40 (I think)

It's built on Access and completely customizable to my taste. I setup my copy for:

Title, Author, Format, Limited Edition #, Current Value, what I paid.

It also allows me to put in custom pictures, notes & tags.

Easy to use, easy to backup and store elsewhere.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

I use this software as well, thanks to a recommendation from Ralph, and I think it is excellent. I had started with a simple excel spreadsheet and then started to create an Access Database. The Collectorz software has everything already set-up for and lets you customize it as you see fit. If you are looking for something beyond a simple spreadsheet I would recommend taking a look at this product.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm just not an organized type of person. It's enough for me to keep everything on my bookshelves in order.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post

Great question! There is a thread dedicated to exactly this topic here:

How to: Keep track of your books
    I went ahead and moved these posts here.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I may give the Collectorz software a try. It's a Dutch product, after all.

Along the Path of the Beam kkemikk will become famous soon enough kkemikk's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I may give the Collectorz software a try. It's a Dutch product, after all.
    It's great. I'm using it over a year now and I love it. Upgraded to version 7 today

Honky Mahfah MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute MikeDuke has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Cool

Add me to the Excel group. One Tab for the first ed. Ordered by year. One tab for the DT books and one tab for any dedicated special ed books I might get. Has worked good so far. In it I have the year, name of the book, price I paid, if I have read it or not, and how many copies were printed. If it is a limited I add in how many there were and what number I have.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

A friend of mine is developing a software to keep track of the books. I'll keep you updated with the results.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    A friend of mine is developing a software to keep track of the books. I'll keep you updated with the results.
    Oh, very cool. Are you giving them tips, Ari?!? Seems no matter what software program I find, there's always something about it that either stops me from buying it or it's just missing what I need it to do!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well....I'm helping him, so any suggestions you have, things that gotta be included, things to avoid, etc, are welcomed!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I would love something as simple as a check box or something to indicate an autographed copy !!!
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

As I've said before, I use an Excel spreadsheet for my King collection. I put the titles in bold that are signed.

John

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeap, there will be checkbox for signed by author, signed by illustrathor, dustjacket, first edition, print, etc
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Yeap, there will be checkbox for signed by author, signed by illustrathor, dustjacket, first edition, print, etc
    Not sure if possible, but the check boxes could be drop down menus, and then have comment areas.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeap, that's also possible

Any more suggestions?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a pretty good idea of what books I have, so I don't keep any list or anything. What I do need to do is keep a database of my DVD's. I have probably close to a thousand, and I am often buying duplicates.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

There is a movie collector by the company collecterz.com. I have their book collector and comic collector and they are great.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast