Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Makes A Sigul Matter?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Default What Makes A Sigul Matter?

No one can enter the Dark Tower, apparently, unless they have a "Sigul of the Eld" but if they do, then they definitely can, no matter how evil they are, and have a chance to rule or destroy all of creation. Why is that? Is Gan dumb? The Tower automatically accepts fake ID? Why doesn't it just admit only those who come in the spirit of the Eld, and dispense with the symbolic tokens?

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

That's a good question Mike.

My initial response stems from our discussion in the Insomnia/DT thread... Because of the chronological contrast of Browning's poem in that it recalls the Arthurian legends of the middle ages- King felt compelled to include it somehow. It worked thematically in the first of book of the series, but as they progress, putting tangible faces and details on the themes becomes increasingly difficult for King.

I think he was trying to appropriate excalibur, and your question about siguls recalls your statement about King initially biting off more than he could chew for the long haul.

This is the first thing that comes to mind for me.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

It always amazes me that we still after all these years, find new subjects or ways to discuss things in this story. I have no memory that we have ever talked about this particular event. I would hazard to guess that free will enters into it somehow.
    Maybe the tower only recognizes a sigul(?) and not intent.At this moment I can not think of any other possibilities, and so can't say with any certainty why this would be so.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can the evil ones have the sigul? Is there evidence that anyone evil has ever been inside the Tower?

(Anyway, I think it matters about the same as the cross - a lot, in a word, but not in the sense magic objects do, or, on the other hand, keycards do)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I think he was referring to Mordred's foot, but I could be wrong Jean.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I probably have to reread the whole damn thing... somehow Mordred's foot doesn't sound sufficient... I mean, if RF had hoped he would enter the Tower with it, it only meant he didn't understand what God, faith, - and generally higher values, subtler entities - mean; which made him understand a sigul as a magical entity (ultimately, a keycard), while it is not. (Much the same way, Detta Walker thought Roland was so set on reaching his Dark Tower because it was full of diamonds.)

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i think its because the dark tower is above good, evil and indifferent. its larger and more there than that. the sigul is an old sign of power which is why good and evil can enter but not your everyday joe.

thats just my thoughts tho, and i am leaning on this site that my thought are no longer safe as someone will come on after me and turn my whole thinking upside down.

and i love it

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

First of all for my part I don't think anyone can destroy the Tower. So even if someone evil enters it doesn't mean any harm. They don't have any chance to ruin the Tower.

Secondly I don't think of the Tower as a church.. or temple.. and even if it's a holy place evil can have the right to enter. Like murderers can hide in churches. So the fact that even evil souls can enter the Tower is quite natural to me. Sounds logical.
    Moreover the word "evil" is... so flexible. Relative. In some sense Roland was evil too. Mordred was much more innocent than Roland. I could go on and give more examples.
    Absolute good and absolute evil.. such things don't exist. So they cannot be the bricks of laws or rights.

Last but not least siguls have power. Incredibly big power. I don't know how to put this thing into words.. they can mean so much. We can see it in our world, too.
    A flag
    a sigul
    a word.. they can move worlds and millions of people. Sometimes you can sum up tons of feelings and principles into one single sigul or sign.
    So it sounds perfect (for me) that you can enter the Tower with a sigul. The fact that someone who doesn't deserve the sigul owns it cannot take away the power and the meaning of the sigul.
    It's like... even if millions of cheaters and betrayers use the word "love" - love cannot lose its power. Its true meaning. It can change.. it can fade.. but it never vanishes.

just my two cents

Roland would have understood.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    It's like... even if millions of cheaters and betrayers use the word "love" - love cannot lose its power. Its true meaning. It can change.. it can fade.. but it never vanishes.
    Absolutely. The point is, however, that those cheaters can't do anything with the help of this word but, at most, break the hearts of the gullible. I mean, in the wrong hands siguls do not work as intended: precisely because without a loving heart, "love" is only a word, and it's someone's soul capable of loving that makes it alive and working.

Much the same it is, I believe, with any other sigul - compare Callahan's miserable experience in 'Salem's Lot with his glorious departure in DT7.

I don't believe, either, that the Tower is indifferent to good and evil. I think it's the very essense of good and evil, relating to each other in a more complicated way than just "white over red", the slogan of the simple-minded gunslingers (the slogan is noble, though, I do not deny it). The Tower is dark, not light, and the rose is red, not white; the core of the existence should logically be the core of this dialectics, too. The Tower is the good and the evil, and as a manifestation of Gan it is the ultimate judge of human souls; you can't cheat it with a dozen feet chopped off dead werespiders.

(I know I am not very coherent today, but you know I've not been feeling very well. I hope to put it in better words next time )

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

feel better soon jean, i enjoy your debates

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    No one can enter the Dark Tower, apparently, unless they have a "Sigul of the Eld" but if they do, then they definitely can, no matter how evil they are, and have a chance to rule or destroy all of creation.
    this gave me a thought.... what was there in the dark tower that could control or destroy all of creation?

I can only remember rooms which showed Roland his entire life but there wasn't a chance for him to do anything else in the dark tower... or?

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Can the evil ones have the sigul? Is there evidence that anyone evil has ever been inside the Tower?
    The CK seemed to have gotten in, unless he just flew up to the balcony. I thought though that he did get in but then got stuck on the balcony when he went out to have a look and then he was just waiting for Mordred to come and help him out.

Quote Originally Posted by candy
    i think its because the dark tower is above good, evil and indifferent.
    I largely agree with this assessment. I see the Tower as another in a long line of mythological representations of the World Axis. The Axis is the very symbol of transcendence of the pairs of opposites which make up the temporal world (concepts like good/evil, love/hate, death/life). These things and the duality they necessitate make up the temporal world, where the Axis represents that which is truly transcendent and beyond all category of description.

I think Letti put it very well with this...

Quote Originally Posted by Letti
    Moreover the word "evil" is... so flexible. Relative. In some sense Roland was evil too. Mordred was much more innocent than Roland. I could go on and give more examples.
    Absolute good and absolute evil.. such things don't exist.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

This is great! Thanks for the responses. Sorry about the delay in getting back to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I think he was referring to Mordred's foot, but I could be wrong Jean.
    I'm asking about any & all of the siguls referred to in the books. Roland's guns, Mordred's birthmark... and I think that the CK had a birthmark, too... although I'm having a little trouble finding a quote for that...
    Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    The CK seemed to have gotten in, unless he just flew up to the balcony. I thought though that he did get in but then got stuck on the balcony when he went out to have a look and then he was just waiting for Mordred to come and help him out. ...
    I will definitely try to research the details. Did he have a sigul with him at that point? It'd be much appreciated if someone is able to give us more info from memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
    ... what was there in the dark tower that could control or destroy all of creation?...
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    First of all for my part I don't think anyone can destroy the Tower. So even if someone evil enters it doesn't mean any harm. They don't have any chance to ruin the Tower. ...
    Yeah, the facts didn't seem to match the expectations. Tends to support what Jean said about how it might be just that RF didn't understand what he was talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    ...I would hazard to guess that free will enters into it somehow. ...
    Possibly. If that was the only point, though, then it could just be open to anyone, right?
    ...The point is, however, that those cheaters can't do anything with the help of this word but, at most, break the hearts of the gullible. ...
    Bad enough. Maybe something along those lines is symbolized in this plot device.
    Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    ...the sigul is an old sign of power which is why good and evil can enter but not your everyday joe.

thats just my thoughts tho, and i am leaning on this site that my thought are no longer safe as someone will come on after me and turn my whole thinking upside down.

and i love it
    Yeah, I know what you mean; I always enjoy having my eyes opened to additional insights. It's one of the real joys of discussion.
    Your thought is an interesting one. Perhaps power is a key value before the Dark Tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    feel better soon jean, i enjoy your debates
    hear, hear

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No one can enter the Dark Tower, apparently, unless they have a "Sigul of the Eld" but if they do, then they definitely can, no matter how evil they are, and have a chance to rule or destroy all of creation. Why is that? Is Gan dumb? The Tower automatically accepts fake ID? Why doesn't it just admit only those who come in the spirit of the Eld, and dispense with the symbolic tokens?
    I think the Tower has ways of protecting itself regardless of whether someone has a sigul or not. I think to gain utter power one would need to enter the top room, (and even then I'm not sure that's the prize that awaits one, although Walter obviously did.) and we know what happened to Roland when he did that. And then consider fate of the Crimson King. He entered the Tower, then went out on a balcony and the Tower trapped him there.

Sure, you could argue, what if he hadn't decided to investigate further? What if he had gone on? When you consider that the Tower is the author of Ka (I'm sure it is, it is the stabilizing force which brought order out of the Prim after all) 'what if' becomes irrelevant. It was ka for the CK to go onto the Balcony and be dealt with by Patrick Danville and Roland. And therefore it was, in a sense, an orchestration of the Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
    No one can enter the Dark Tower, apparently, unless they have a "Sigul of the Eld" but if they do, then they definitely can, no matter how evil they are, and have a chance to rule or destroy all of creation.
    this gave me a thought.... what was there in the dark tower that could control or destroy all of creation?
    The way I understand it, the Tower itself and the beams is what keeps creation stable. It keeps the worlds cohesive. I tend to think of the beams as being like a mesh wrapped around the world(s) keeping it all together and consistent, all joined by the Tower. That might be rather simplistic though, and there's probably more to it than that, but remember how when the beams weakened and broke, time went soft. Space would stretch, and even tear (the thinnies,.) As to anything IN the Tower giving it it's power, Roland does speculate that the Tower is maybe the body of Gan himself. Gan the creator.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The Tower IS the body of Gan. It's the metaphysical manifestation of Gan in Roland's plane of existence.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's the suggestion in the last book certainly, although I don't think it's stated as definite. (I don't disagree with you though.)

The comics state
    Spoiler:
    that it's the body of Gan rising out of the prim, spinning the worlds from his navel. (Or words to that affect. The way I phrased it there looks funny.) Not everyone accepts them though. I do. Mostly.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Maybe only those who are of the White can carry the sigul? But then that wouldn't explain the urgency of saving the Tower.

John F. Kennedy SolomonsGal will become famous soon enough SolomonsGal's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My interpretation of the Tower is that it's Roland's Hell (hence having to keep repeating his tragic existence over and over again) and the wheel of Ka will roll how he wants it to. Roland created the urgency of saving the Dark Tower to fulfill his own desire: reaching the Tower. Perhaps the Tower is a metaphor for Roland's life: if he slows down and shows empathy and sympathy for ALL those in his life, past and present, those he loves and cares for will continue to exist and his own life, his universe, will stand. Essentially, he will finally reach his own Nirvana, or Heaven, as will those he loves.

How I wish I were in grad school again and could write a 20 page paper on this!! :-)

Servant of Gan Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb is a splendid one to behold Sai Sheb's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To me the tower is like a fuse, 1amp fuse, where positive and negative can pass through.the beams are the world's security system running off said fuse. So if an engineer comes out to look all you wanna see is his ID to make sure he is, but how do you know if he's any good at his job???

+ Reply to Thread