Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: What draws you to Eddie?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • His sense of humor/jokes

28 37.84%
  • His love to Susannah

1 1.35%
  • His relationship with Roland

14 18.92%
  • His flaws

16 21.62%
  • Other reasons

15 20.27%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Eddie!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

I must confess that I didn't care for Eddie at first but he definitely grew on me. I was only 13 the first time I read DT 2 and I couldn't grasp the psychology of addiction or Eddie's dependence on Henry. He has come to be one of my favorite characters of any series and I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing his growth as a human being generally and a gunslinger particularly.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Maybe you guys should start a new thread so you all can stay on topic in this one. This is a thread about Eddie, not some movie or comic. Thanks.
    Cry your pardon, sai. But you must admit that was a very Eddie-esque thread "interruption" (although I'm pretty sure his tangent wouldn't have been about RHPS or Snoopy but about how the name reminded him of some guy Henry used to get stoned with or something like that).

And to tie that into the thread topic: I think that's part of what draws so many to him. He reflects the jokester/prankish side of us, yet he can be serious when the situation requires. Moreover, it precisely this ability - to find the (usually black) humor in grave or dire situations - that enables him to cope with events that would freeze a lesser man in horror.

I Eddie.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing his growth as a human being generally and a gunslinger particularly.
    Same here, he's the character that grows the most throughout the series, even more than Roland and Susannah.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    Maybe you guys should start a new thread so you all can stay on topic in this one. This is a thread about Eddie, not some movie or comic. Thanks.
    Oooh, I love it when you're all masterful. I'm surprised Jean didn't reprimand us first actually

/off topicness

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing his growth as a human being generally and a gunslinger particularly.
    Same here, he's the character that grows the most throughout the series, even more than Roland and Susannah.
    We had a thread at DT.net about who changed or grew the most in the series.
    It was a hard choice for me (because of Eddie) but still I vote for Roland. I don't doubt that Eddie grows so much but still I feel Roland does more. (And now that I finished the series this feeling is even stronger.)

Roland would have understood.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love Eddie. I wanted to vote for his relationship with Susannah and Roland. But I voted for his jokes and his attitude. I cannot say he is my favorite because I like Roland, Susannah, Jake, Eddie and Oy all the same. I was very
    Spoiler:
    sad when Eddie and Jake went to the clearing.
    Last edited by Letti; 02-29-2008 at 12:06 AM. Reason: it had a big spoiler

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

i say other reasons because i really feel that as readers we get the most background on eddie. because of this i feel like he's the most "real" character.
    out of the ka-tet, he's also the most believable.
    i can imagine meeting a guy just like him, and i'd probably have the same reaction i did as i read - annoyance at first, but after getting to know him, a sense of loyalty and honesty.
    plus, my favorite attribut of eddie is his masking of fear with humor - who doesn't do that from time to time? it's endearing, imo.
    i also have to admit,
    Spoiler:
    his death was definitely the most difficult for me to handle

Country
    Country Flag

Great points Unfound One. Besides Roland himself, Eddie was my absolute favorite for all of the reasons you said.

Also,
    Spoiler:
    I took his death the hardest but only because it came first.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    It was a hard choice for me (because of Eddie) but still I vote for Roland. I don't doubt that Eddie grows so much but still I feel Roland does more. (And now that I finished the series this feeling is even stronger.)
    I understand that you're wrong Letti...but I still love you.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I voted his sense of humor, although I do love the character for more reasons. But, I think I officially fell in love with Eddie in W&G. It was the part with Blaine. After Eddie sat silently for a long time, his mind running. It was the moment when the grin spread across his face and he said: "I have a riddle for you Blaine."
    For some reason, at that moment, I silently screamed: "Yes! Oh, Eddie, I love you."

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

girly - at that moment i could just SEE him grinning maniacally
    it was great. and so EDDIE!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I understand that you're wrong Letti...but I still love you.
    That's one of the nicest things man has ever told me. *smiles widely*

Roland would have understood.

Well thats what I'm here for dear heart!

Country
    Country Flag

I actually think Eddie grew more than Roland. Roland had just forgotten how to love in his long wanderings so in essence, he didn't "grow" that much...he just, um, remembered.
    Eddie I think did a complete 180 and became a better person. Just my six cents.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I said his flaws--it was seeing him grow and fight himself that really made me love Eddie.
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It actually is a hard choice. Eddie was already a good person and clever and everything he just had to get rid of that monkey on his back (and I mean Henry not the drugs, Henry was the reason for practically everything wrong in Eddie's life)... so while he made the biggest change I'm not sure he grew the most.. he was just finally not afraid to bring out what was always there. He didn't have to worry about being better than Henry anymore. But Roland always lacked imagination and the such and he learned those things I think.. So really I think they're about to the same.. they both just remembered things that they'd pushed to the back burner.

Forgetful Fantasy-Maker Tiffany is on a distinguished road Tiffany's Avatar

Toronto, Ontario (but I'll probably always call Texas home).
    Country
    Country Flag

His wise-assery and sense of humor. It's similar to my husband's when he's being silly and ridiculous.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”-Mark Twain

Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me....Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
    -Shel Silverstein

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I should have voted other because I loved Eddie because he reminded me of me and I could relate to him...

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i love eddie and voted other, as it was the whole package as opposed to one thing. but if i have to narrow it down, it would be his adaptablity. the fact that he went from addict to gunslinger in a short space of time was excellent (talking not of his training in the woods with roland but the butt naked gun fight)

The fact that he loves them all not just susannah and would take a bullet for them all - even Oy

he is cool and witty and everything else that has been mentioned, but his times with roland where to me more special than his moments with susannah, but that was just my personal opinion

Cowboy from Hell Myste is on a distinguished road Myste's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I voted for his sense of humor, but Eddie as a charachter is a complete package of all that are mentioned.

“The devil's voice is sweet to hear.”
    -SK.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3