Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Death is the road to awe. - The Fountain

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

:rose: Death is the road to awe. - The Fountain

The Fountain (2006)
    directed by Darren Aronofsky

What can I write about this movie?
    I haven't seen such a deep movie as this one for long. Your mind must work really hard to understand the symbols you meet all the time while you are watching it.
    And even if you can't catch everything you are just sitting there in front of the TV and you feel your soul is somewhere else... you can feel the tree under your palm and the heat of the dying start on your face.

trailer (sadly it doesn't give back much from the movie)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_NF8ZpqyE&feature=related"]YouTube - The Fountain Trailer[/ame]

Roland would have understood.

Look out! Lily-sai is on a distinguished road Lily-sai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I so agree with Letti. I hadn't even heard about this movie, I just accidentally bumped into it one day and was deeply fascinated by its cover. And what a movie it was! I could barely breathe after it was finished, tears in my eyes. I think I need to see it again. And again. I can't quite analyze it yet, because I haven't had a chance to talk about it with people who love it as well, so it's too deep inside me yet. But here.. You people are!

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I had the chance to talk about it a lot but the more you talk about it the more questions you have in your head and the more feelings you have in your heart.

Country
    Country Flag

I wrote this somewhere else after I had watched the movie. It sumps up my thoughts and my feelings.

whole movie theory

*end*

Country
    Country Flag

In fact, I think I will watch it again today, if I've got time. Will be back here after that.

"...neither the stupid jokes nor the easy surface emotions were the truth of Cuthbert Allgood."

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lily-sai View Post
    In fact, I think I will watch it again today, if I've got time. Will be back here after that.
    I cannot wait.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Are you referring to the Darren Aronofsky?

( there are a couple of different "the fountain" listed on IMDB )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

Letti, you've now made me weep. 'Death is the road to awe', that gets me every time. And you wrote so beautifully, that was a truly great analysis. Made me think and will watch Fountain with your words in my mind.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Are you referring to the Darren Aronofsky?

( there are a couple of different "the fountain" listed on IMDB )
    Yes, I am. *goes to add more information to the first post*

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Thankee, big-big, beautiful.

I love Aronofsky so will check it out.

( Pi is one of my all time favorite movies )
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Awesome awesome movie. I didn't understand everything the first time I watched it but I couldn't get the movie out of my head for weeks. Finally I just decided to buy the DVD and after that I think I watched it 3 times in a row. Everything about it is incredible. The story, the imagery, the music, the symbolism. I know it didn't get the greatest reviews, but Darren Aronovsky really out-did himself with The Fountain.

And the composer, Clint Mansell . . . his music is just fascinating. I feel like if they ever did a Dark Tower movie/series, i think some of his works would translate very well into it.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

http://www.zazzle.com/Kidd_Ikarus*

Country
    Country Flag

Its music is beyond words, too... it has that type of music that's not music anymore... but much more. It's like fresh air to your ears and your soul. And when you are listening to it you don't know why you feel like crying.. because it's sad OR because it's so beautiful. Or maybe both?
    Okay, I guess I get way too romantic when it's about the Fountain.

my favourite:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5ZkzsBNZ78&feature=PlayList&p=9B5EF67F578 7C003&index=5"]YouTube - The Fountain Soundtrack - 04 Stay With Me[/ame]

Gunslinger Apprentice Kidd Ikarus is on a distinguished road Kidd Ikarus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Its music is beyond words, too... it has that type of music that's not music anymore... but much more. It's like fresh air to your ears and your soul. And when you are listening to it you don't know why you feel like crying.. because it's sad OR because it's so beautiful. Or maybe both?
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. The full version of "Death is the Road to Awe" the is featured at the end/climax of the film is like . . . when you listen to it, it's almost as if you are experiencing the life cycle through song. I don't know if that makes any sense . . . But it's incredible.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

For those who loved this world... and knew friendly company therein. This Reunion is for you.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I love Darren Aronofsky's films, so I'm kinda ashamed to admit that I haven't seen this one yet. It's been on my list for awhile now, I'll have to bump it to the top so I can come back and chat about it. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Letti, is there where you new theme is from?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

I am so happy to see this thread here, thank you Letti. Though we have discussed is before, it is a pleasure to talk about it again.

Pi is another awesome movie. But I think you will love this one, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd Ikarus View Post
    Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. The full version of "Death is the Road to Awe" the is featured at the end/climax of the film is like . . . when you listen to it, it's almost as if you are experiencing the life cycle through song. I don't know if that makes any sense . . . But it's incredible.
    I listened the soundrack at least a hundred times, and I still love it. Death Is The Road To Awe, Death is a Disease, Xibalba... *...sigh...*

I wrote this somewhere else after I had watched the movie. It sumps up my thoughts and my feelings.

whole movie theory

*end*
    I love your theory Letti. Though I like to believe past, present and future theory.

My favortie quote from the movie is the words of Grand Inquisitor Silecio, who represents the disease of Izzi:
    ''Our bodies are prisons for our souls. Our skin and blood, the iron bars of our confinement. But fear not. All flesh decays. Death turns all to ash. And thus, death frees every soul.''

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Letti, is there where you new theme is from?
    Yes, absolutely.

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    I am so happy to see this thread here, thank you Letti. Though we have discussed is before, it is a pleasure to talk about it again.

Pi is another awesome movie. But I think you will love this one, too.

1. Exactly. I couldn't have said it better myself. The full version of "Death is the Road to Awe" the is featured at the end/climax of the film is like . . . when you listen to it, it's almost as if you are experiencing the life cycle through song. I don't know if that makes any sense . . . But it's incredible.
    I listened the soundrack at least a hundred times, and I still love it. Death Is The Road To Awe, Death is a Disease, Xibalba... *...sigh...*

whole movie theory

*end*
    I love your theory Letti. Though I like to believe past, present and future theory.

2. My favorite quote from the movie is the words of Grand Inquisitor Silecio, who represents the disease of Izzi:
    ''Our bodies are prisons for our souls. Our skin and blood, the iron bars of our confinement. But fear not. All flesh decays. Death turns all to ash. And thus, death frees every soul.''
    1. There is just one problem with this beautiful music. They always make me feel so... melancholic. I feel as if the world was on my shoulders or I don't know how to put it into words. It's a heavy music for my soul.

2. One of my favourites, too. However this movie is full of incredibly good and deep quotes.

I understand you well. Actually I can't stand to listen kind of music that makes me feel melancholic.
    This soundtrack makes me think of bigger things than self-concept. Makes me feel my awareness about the world out of the borders of my being, is decreased.
    Just like, all the musical notes in it telling important things, different stories each time.
    Shortly, it makes me feel so happy and light.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Well I watched the film last night. The film was visually beautiful, and I absolutely loved the score. It fit so perfectly with the mood of the film.
    I have to say however, that at first I was so completely confused, I hadn't the slightest idea what was going on. But once the story picked up, it started to make more sense. I think I'll need to rewatch it a few times to fully understand it though.

Letti, I'm really liking your theory. I didn't really believe the past to be real, just Izzi's way of coming to terms with death. And likewise, couldn't the so called future scenes be Tom learning to deal with death?

What are your thoughts on the scene where we see the conquistador finally find the Tree of Life. He cuts himself and puts the sap of the tree on it to heal himself thus becoming part of the tree.

I don't know, I think I still need to think about it some more.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I am sooo happy watched it.
    When I come back in the afternoon I'll write down what I think about that part.

Country
    Country Flag

What are your thoughts on the scene where we see the conquistador finally find the Tree of Life. He cuts himself and puts the sap of the tree on it to heal himself thus becoming part of the tree.

That was the only part that kind of . . . 'irked' me. I didn't understand it at all my first watch . . . And I still don't think I grasp the full meaning of that scene. I know it has to do with the legend of the guy who sacrificed himself and his body became the earth and the stars, blah, blah, blah . . . But when it happened to Tomas, it just seemed kind of weird.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

That was the only part that kind of . . . 'irked' me. I didn't understand it at all my first watch . . . And I still don't think I grasp the full meaning of that scene. I know it has to do with the legend of the guy who sacrificed himself and his body became the earth and the stars, blah, blah, blah . . . But when it happened to Tomas, it just seemed kind of weird.
    That is why I don't like to put the story on some logical basics.

Here is what I've written before, while discussing this movie with Letti. (Sorry I hate this copy-paste thing but it is a complicated subject, so gathering the ideas again and again, is harder.)

The wedding ring:

In the past,he loses it when he found the tree of life.After he applied the sap on his injury,he takes the ring out from his pocket and prepares to wear it,flowers grow out from his injury so he panics because of the pain and drops the ring into the grass.
    (Then he becomes the grass&flowers...)

In the present,he takes off it before the surgery to Donovan,the monkey they used for experiments,while he's cleaning his hands.

He finds it,in the future part of the time-line.That fits the moment he realises what he has to do,and leave the tree-buble with a seperated little bubble,taking a position of a person meditating.He wears it before explosion.I think here the ring is another flashback-image that comes to him when he is lightened by understanding of acceptance.Because he realises that he loses the ring when -simply- trying to deny the death.

(Izzi as Queen Isabella gives him the ring and says something closer to this: ''You shall wear it when you find Eden, and when you return, I shall be your Eve.'' In the future,in the seperated bubble,when he is close to death,close to heart of Xibalba the ring appears.
    Finding Eden(tree of life),is eternal life;he shall wear the ring.
    Reaching nebula's core,means death;he wears the ring.
    Finding life is finding death.)
    What happened to the ring in the present part of the story? I can't remember this.

Country
    Country Flag

In your quote, that's pretty much it . . . In the present, when he takes it off before surgery, that is the only time you see it in the hands of Tommy until Xibalba, when Tom the Explorer finds it in the grass.

After the surgery, the ring is gone. He looks for it and another doctor walks into the room and asks what he is doing. He replies, simply, "Looking for my ring. I left it right here and now it's gone."
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Ok. I remember now. Thanks.

Country
    Country Flag

About the ending:
    We all have too many fantasies. We think the big world works the way we think it does - but it's not true. We are way too little.
    How do we imagine living forever? We drink from the special tree... we find the hidden fountain... we meet the fairy and we wish... we find a lamp with a genie inside... and after we have wished we can stay alive forever in our fragile human body and we can enjoy the infinity.
    But things don't work like this.
    The legend was right. The one who drinks from the Tree of Life can live forever... but of course not in his human body. That's impossible. Our body is not capable to live forever. Tom's body had to become part of something much bigger to be able to live/exist forever.
    (There are some special pine trees that can live for more than 4000 years. It's true. Once a researcher found a tree that was more than 4500 years old. Living 4000 years is still not living forever so...)
    Tom's body became the part of the Tree of Life. For my part I think all those plants around the Tree belonged to it.

Izzi had understood it earlier.

Izzi: Remember Moses Morales?
    Tom Verde: Who?
    Izzi: The Mayan guide I told you about.
    Tom Verde: From your trip.
    Izzi: Yeah. The last night I was with him, he told me about his father, who had died. Well Moses wouldn't believe it.
    Tom Verde: Izzi...
    Izzi: [embraces Tom] No, no. Listen, listen. He said that if they dug his father's body up, it would be gone. They planted a seed over his grave. The seed became a tree. Moses said his father became a part of that tree. He grew into the wood, into the bloom. And when a sparrow ate the tree's fruit, his father flew with the birds. He said... death was his father's road to awe. That's what he called it. The road to awe. Now, I've been trying to write the last chapter and I haven't been able to get that out of my head!
    Tom Verde: Why are you telling me this?
    Izzi: I'm not afraid anymore, Tommy.
    That's why she wanted Tom to finish the book. There was only one way to finish her story and Izzi was sure Tom would try his best to do it. (And he did it. He finished it and he found the only right endong.) She wanted him to understand the essence of life:
    We must lose everything... to get everything. Death is the road to awe.

(of course, just my two cents)

Country
    Country Flag

About the ending:

Izzi had understood it earlier.

Izzi: Remember Moses Morales?
    Tom Verde: Who?
    Izzi: The Mayan guide I told you about.
    Tom Verde: From your trip.
    Izzi: Yeah. The last night I was with him, he told me about his father, who had died. Well Moses wouldn't believe it.
    Tom Verde: Izzi...
    Izzi: [embraces Tom] No, no. Listen, listen. He said that if they dug his father's body up, it would be gone. They planted a seed over his grave. The seed became a tree. Moses said his father became a part of that tree. He grew into the wood, into the bloom. And when a sparrow ate the tree's fruit, his father flew with the birds. He said... death was his father's road to awe. That's what he called it. The road to awe. Now, I've been trying to write the last chapter and I haven't been able to get that out of my head!
    Tom Verde: Why are you telling me this?
    Izzi: I'm not afraid anymore, Tommy.
    That's why she wanted Tom to finish the book. There was only one way to finish her story and Izzi was sure Tom would try his best to do it. (And he did it. He finished it and he found the only right endong.) She wanted him to understand the essence of life:
    We must lose everything... to get everything. Death is the road to awe.

(of course, just my two cents)
    Yes. And that is major in showing Izzy's connection to Tom the Explorer's tree, especially after he plants the seed at her grave.
    Are sins ever forgiven?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast