Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: General Comic Info, Questions and Help Wanted

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've found that there really is no standard in the long run. The comic book stores aren't paying extra for the variants; they're just purchasing larger quantities of the standard print run in order to get them, and many shops would have bought those quantities anyway. But, from searching around and talking with my local guy, the best practice I can see is that if it is a 1:25, then you should pay no more than $25 (during the initial month it is released), and the same with the 1:50. Pay no more than $50. After the print run is out for the variants, however, then the prices can raise. The sketch variant for #2, for example, is tougher to find--especially at shops. I've generally seen it running in the $150-$200 range. But then I got one on ebay the other day for $70. It is twenty more than the 1:50 would normally call for, but the market is still higher, so it was a good deal. Savvy?

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Savvy?
    What are you Captain Jack Sparrow all of the sudden?
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, as a matter of fact, I am.

Gunslinger Apprentice David is on a distinguished road David's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's that Jae Lee autographed copy of issue #2.

It is, in fact, number 228 of 300.

I totally forgot to take a picture of the letter of authenticity. It will be edited in this post within a day or two.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Chassit View Post
    The comics have started coming in...I have only gotten #3 so far so haven't started reading it (I will read them in order). I am just wondering if I should even open them up over...the condition is ...pristine and I am afraid of de valuing it, LOL. Advise or opinions please

XIX

When it's something like this, I usually buy 2 copies of each issue, one to read and one not to touch.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I've found that there really is no standard in the long run. The comic book stores aren't paying extra for the variants; they're just purchasing larger quantities of the standard print run in order to get them, and many shops would have bought those quantities anyway. But, from searching around and talking with my local guy, the best practice I can see is that if it is a 1:25, then you should pay no more than $25 (during the initial month it is released), and the same with the 1:50. Pay no more than $50. After the print run is out for the variants, however, then the prices can raise. The sketch variant for #2, for example, is tougher to find--especially at shops. I've generally seen it running in the $150-$200 range. But then I got one on ebay the other day for $70. It is twenty more than the 1:50 would normally call for, but the market is still higher, so it was a good deal. Savvy?

Unless comic book collecting and buying rules have changed in the last 10 years, usually variants are worthe less then the original run of the series. Unless a variant has a mistake or is rare, it will be considered a re-print and not be as valuable as the first run.
    The only reason for collecting the variant covers (unless you are just a fan of the newer cover) would to be collect every variant including the original and auctioning off the entire collection.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post

Unless comic book collecting and buying rules have changed in the last 10 years, usually variants are worthe less then the original run of the series. Unless a variant has a mistake or is rare, it will be considered a re-print and not be as valuable as the first run.
    The only reason for collecting the variant covers (unless you are just a fan of the newer cover) would to be collect every variant including the original and auctioning off the entire collection.
    Mordred, are you talking about original limited variants that were part of the first release? Or are you talking about the 2nd printings that have a different cover?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Amused

this is an old pic and horrible, but this is my collection..

As for as I know this is the first run. In a collectors mind set they are worth more than the variant covers, because the variants come out after the original release, the variants are considered reprints even if it has a different cover. If the variant covers are rare or have a mistake, they would be worth more than the original. If you wanted "money" for your collection you would have every original plus every variant and sell it as a whole rather than individual. is that what you're asking?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have to disagree with you that the variants are issued AFTER the original release. The variants are issued at the same time as the original release. It's only the second and third printings that are issued afterwards.

I'm a completist, in that I'm going to try to get every issue of every Dark Tower comic that's out there, including the variants and the subsequent printings. I know I may never get back what I'll be spending, but, to me, it just feels right. I'm not into collecting as an investment.

John

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I have to disagree with you that the variants are issued AFTER the original release. The variants are issued at the same time as the original release. It's only the second and third printings that are issued afterwards.

I'm a completist, in that I'm going to try to get every issue of every Dark Tower comic that's out there, including the variants and the subsequent printings. I know I may never get back what I'll be spending, but, to me, it just feels right. I'm not into collecting as an investment.

John

Well, like I was getting at above, I haven't collected comics in 10 years, so if they are releasing variant covers at the same time, then yes, I agree with you. But, my comic store may suck, but they are only getting the first covers, like in my photo. They get the variants after the release date, so that may be why I'm confused on the issue. As far as being a completist, that's what I mean, if you really want something worthe value (say this series) you need to collect every variant, and possible the re-prints. Only a serious collector would want the entire thing. I've had dealers pissed at me, because I wanted to break up their entire set because I only need one issue.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you are both correct as far as the Dark Tower comics are concerned.

Marvel is issuing limited "variant" covers (1:50 ratio for the sketch variant and 1:25 ratio for the color variant) concurrent with the regular cover issue. These are the ones that John is talking about.

Later Marvel has been releasing second printings of the issues with a yet another cover and calling those "variant" as well - although they do sell for the same cover price as the regular first printing. I believe these are the ones that Mordred is talking about.

Like John, I am buying both "original issue" variants of this first seven issue story arc, and I am buying the "second printing" variants as they are released. I plan to continue to buy the original issue color variant of all future issues as well. But I will decide on the sketch variant cover as each future story arc comes out - decision will be based on price because these are adding up to a hell of a lot of money.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think you are both correct as far as the Dark Tower comics are concerned.

Later Marvel has been releasing second printings of the issues with a yet another cover and calling those "variant" as well - although they do sell for the same cover price as the regular first printing. I believe these are the ones that Mordred is talking about.

I would say yes. That is what I'm talking about. I didn't realize they were producing variants at the same time.

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by nyy3723a View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I think the printing runs on these are so large that unless we have another war and mom's recycle entire collections for paper...it probably won't ever gain too much value.

So I say read them!!

Yep! Pretty much the same as any baseball card printed after the early 80s - there are just too many of them out there for them to be worth anything in the long run, so enjoy them!
    That's about right. VERY few comics after then are very high in value, and that's usually because the comic company underestimated the interset in the comic, and more people want the comic than there are copies available. Supply and demand, and all that. Usually, that's rectified by reprints, but, sometimes, for whatever reason, they're not done, and the comic shoots up in value. The most recent example is this one from 2005:

HIGHLY sought after, but even that one's only worth around $35-$50. Save your comics, keep em nice just in case there's a sudden demand for an issue that isn't widely available in comic stores anymore, but don't ever buy a comic hoping to make money on it, it just won't work. Buy what YOU like to read, and enjoy it.

My Mood
    Amused

Here's my problem, I think I missed my selling point. shoulda got rid of my X-men comics when the first movie came out. Same with a few others. The problem I hear with my collection is, when I first start collecting, it was during the time when they were being mass produced. Late 80's and the whole 90's.

John F. Kennedy mattv2099 is on a distinguished road mattv2099's Avatar

I hope this question isn't in the wrong place

Does anyone know if the current, commonly available Gunslinger Born door poster is identical to the promo door poster that some got shops before issue 1 came out?

Thanks!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I only know of one door poster, so I would think they are one and the same.

I found this image on the net. This is what I was thinking of. It looks as though its not a 20x55 door poster but some other dimension. Definately not identical to the door poster.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, that poster is the promo one that shops received, it's definitely not the door poster. So is that the one you want to get, or do you have one already?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Yes, that poster is the promo one that shops received, it's definitely not the door poster. So is that the one you want to get, or do you have one already?
    I want to find this one I have the door poster... But for some reason until today I thought the door poster was the promo poster.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Now you've convinced me to ask my local shop if they got the promo poster (I never saw it posted) and, if so, what they did with it. Probably gave it to an employee or something, but it won't hurt to ask...

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Patrick, can you post that link you sent me once on comic book covers again? I need to get some. Thanks!

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    Patrick, can you post that link you sent me once on comic book covers again? I need to get some. Thanks!
    Ummmm.... .... what?

Oh, do you mean bags and boards? How many do you need?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Like 7, right now. But I'll need more as the comic books come out. But yeah, I mean the clear covers to protect the books.

Obviously I am not comicspeak literate.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally I buy mine at the local comic store. If you don't have one of those, just google "comic book bags boards" and pick a site to buy from.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm. I believe there is a comic book store downtown. SQUEE! An excuse to go downtown and get good beer!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast