Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: 2009: Overview of the Awards

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default 2009: Overview of the Awards

The Best Book Award goes to The Stand.

The Best Short Story Award goes to "1408" from Everything's Eventual.

The Most Frightening Published Work Award goes to Pet Sematary.

The Best Protagonist Award goes to Roland Deschain from the Dark Tower series.

The Best Antagonist Award goes to Randall Flagg from The Stand among other things.

The Best Supporting Character Award goes to Henry Leyden from Black House.

The Best Minor Antagonist Award goes to Harold Lauder from The Stand.

The Best Couple Award goes to Stu Redman and Frannie Goldsmith from The Stand.

The Saddest Moment Award goes to The Talisman.

The Best Death Award goes to Black House.

The Best Novella/Novelette Award goes to "The Body" from Different Seasons.

The Best Trade Edition Cover Art Award goes to Desperation.

The Best Illustrations in a Published Work Award goes to The Dark Tower.

The Best Minor Character Award goes to Cort from The Dark Tower series.

The Best King on the Screen Award goes to The Shawshank Redemption from Different Seasons.

The Worst King on the Screen Award goes to Maximum Overdrive from Night Shift.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And the totals:

The Stand with 4 awards: Best Book, Best Antagonist, Best Minor Antagonist, Best Couple.

The Dark Tower series with 3 award: Best Protagonist, Best Minor Character, Best Illustrations in a Published Work

Black House with 2 awards: Best Supporting Character, Best Death

Different Seasons with 2 awards: Best Novella/Novelette, Best King on the Screen

Everything's Eventual with 1 award: Best Short Story

Pet Sematary with 1 award: Most Frightening Published Work

The Talisman with 1 award: Saddest Moment

Desperation with 1 award: Best Trade Edition Cover Art

Night Shift with 1 award: Worst King on the Screen

Country
    Country Flag

And just like that our first annual Constant Reader Awards have come to a close. Huge thanks to Aaron for organizing this monstrous tournament of polls, and to Jean for the help. And to the rest of you for voting and discussing the votes and just generally making this a very cool experience.

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And a HUGE thanks to pablo for being awesome and for not letting me slip on any of this, since my Internet time was cut down at work.

Heng Dai

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Great job Pablo, Aaron and Jean!

You guys made this whole thing a lot of fun.

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Amazing job, you guys.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Great job Pablo, Aaron and Jean!
    In the order specified.

::bows modestly::

pablo did one hell of a job, hats off! Aaron made the whole thing possible, and gave it this flourish of professionalism he possesses in such perfection. The bear only helped here and there.

I think it has been fantastic! We need to do this every year, and then compare (with charts, of course - just imagine a ten- or twenty-year chart of how our preferences changed!)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

This should definitely be done on an annual basis, so we'll do this again right after people have had enough time to read Under the Dome (I'm guessing around New Year's?).

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That sounds wonderful--you guys did an amazing job with this and I'm glad my personal thoughts on all these are in line with everyone else.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Great job you guys!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

What does everyone think of the ultimate results?

I think the results are largely unsurprising (from all I've read of people's opinions on many of these subjects in various threads) and I pretty much agree with the majority of the winners.

Country
    Country Flag

The only surprise is the absence of It, given it finished third overall.

That's the reason for my "pretty much agree" as opposed to completely agree.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am pretty happy with the results. I still think IT was the worst movie though

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The only surprise is the absence of It, given it finished third overall.
    Agreed. I was shocked that The Drawing of the Three beat it out, but that's just me.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    The Best Supporting Character Award goes to Henry Leyden from Black House.

I think this is the one category my heart really cared about strongly, and I am glad Henry Leyden won! Oh, I'd just love to sit around and have coffee with that guy!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.