Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: The Best Graphic Novel of All Time – NOMINATIONS NOW CLOSED !!

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You're on the money honey. Your nominations have been added.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Weeeellllllll... Technically, Treachery isn't released yet, but will be shortly, so that's cool.

Sam - I think I will make my second nomination : X-Men: X-tinction Agenda by Chris Claremont.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

I actually thought Treachery was just released, but I saw that it's not out yet. But, it will be this month, and the story is already available. So, no biggie.

I gotcha for your final nom.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

Country
    Country Flag

Hurry up and get your nominations in people. The nomination thread will be closing soon, and that means you won't be able to make a nomination OR enter our contest without a very stern note from your mother. We need YOUR help. Nominate your favorite Graphic Novel and be entered for a chance to win TWO of the nominated entries.

That's right, the winner will get TWO of the graphic novels listed on page one of this thread. One will be the winner of the voting and the Comic Tower's choice for the Best Graphic Novel of All Time. The second will be one of the remaining titles chosen at random through a complicated system (my fedora and some slips of paper?). But you can't win if you aren't in.

Hurry and get entered.

Country
    Country Flag

I just looked at the list and realized that no one has nominated the infamous X-men: Mutant Massacre. With the far reaching consequences of that storyline, I am really surprised.

My Mood
    Gay

Honestly, I expected more X-Men titles.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I should probably not be eligible for a prize either you guys. Just seems like a conflict of interest.

However, this is an amazing contest. Good job!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I should probably not be eligible for a prize either you guys. Just seems like a conflict of interest.

However, this is an amazing contest. Good job!
    Your call, Matt. I will put you on the list of exceptions. Thanks for nominating, regardless!

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    I just looked at the list and realized that no one has nominated the infamous X-men: Mutant Massacre. With the far reaching consequences of that storyline, I am really surprised.
    I couldnt nominate my favorite xmen story The Age Of Apocalypse because as a whole its divided into 4 gigantic tomes

if there were a contest for single greatest comicstory told then that would win
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

Good point about X-Men:AoA. That's an excellent story, for sure.

If anyone wants some recommendations, I just put up a thread based on independent Graphic Novels recommended by Wizard Magazine.

Linkage : http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=7825

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

TDKR is my race-horse.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    TDKR is my race-horse.
    feev - Did you nominate that someplace in this thread? I don't see it in the nom list?
    I will go put it now. Please double check the first page... you get two !!

Batman:The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, yes?

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Whaaaaaaaat?!?! No one's nominated it yet?!

If that's the case ,then yes : I'm definitely nominating The Dark Knight Returns.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

If that's the case ,then yes : I'm definitely nominating The Dark Knight Returns.
    What!!! No Sandman nomination from you. I'm shocked Feev.

Well I haven't read very many graphic novels yet, and I doubt this one will do well in the running, but I'd like to nominate Locke & Key. I just loved it, and it actually made me give other graphic novels a shot.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If all of Grant Morrison's X-Mens were in one volume, I'd nom that. I think that most superheroes (especially marvel) just lend themselves to longer, serialized stories.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Country
    Country Flag

Matt beat you to it dude and already nominated that title.

Country
    Country Flag

Here are those who have one nomination remaining.

pookie
    Sam
    razz
    Brice

Country
    Country Flag

Some titles that haven't been seen yet.

300. A book AND a movie. This is the book I recommend for those who think comics are just for kids.
    Earth X. This story took Marvel and turned it on it's ear.
    Crisis on Infinite Earths. 'Nuff said?
    X-Men: Mutant Massacre. This story had very far reaching consequences.
    Give Me Liberty. Another masterpiece.
    Marvels. This is the story that did for Marvel what Kingdom Come did for DC but Marvels came first.

Just to name a few.

My Mood
    Gay

Matt beat you to it dude and already nominated that title.
    Ooops! Sorry about that, feev. Nice catch, Sam.

Some titles that haven't been seen yet.

300. A book AND a movie. This is the book I recommend for those who think comics are just for kids.
    Earth X. This story took Marvel and turned it on it's ear.
    Crisis on Infinite Earths. 'Nuff said?
    X-Men: Mutant Massacre. This story had very far reaching consequences.
    Give Me Liberty. Another masterpiece.
    Marvels. This is the story that did for Marvel what Kingdom Come did for DC but Marvels came first.

Just to name a few.
    Excellent selections, all !

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ah, Crisis on Infinite Earths is definitly a classic, Sam. The story that defined the trend of "Mega Crossover", for better or for worse. Perhaps not exactly in my top 5, but still a great comic. Gotta be admired just for the sheer SCALE!

I'm surprised you didn't mention Identity Crisis. Scale wise it's the exact opposite of Crisis on Infinite Earths, and a very different, very unusual story for DC to tell, but that's why i think it's classic: a very different, very realistic look at the DC heroes is given to us for the 1st time, and really makes the reader realise how important a secret identity is to these guys. Add a top notch mystery thriller plot and you've got yourself an alltime DC classic!

Now i've already done my nominations, and i'm sticking to them, but isn't ANYONE going to nominate either Crisis? Be a crying shame not to!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Damn you Matt! DAMN YOUUUUU!

Alright, since Bats is already up on the board , I'm going to nominate :

The Invisibles : Say You Want A Revolution
    and
    X-Men : The Messiah Complex

Country
    Country Flag

Bump.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

What!!! No Sandman nomination from you. I'm shocked Feev.

Well I haven't read very many graphic novels yet, and I doubt this one will do well in the running, but I'd like to nominate Locke & Key. I just loved it, and it actually made me give other graphic novels a shot.
    did you guys get my nomination or does this not count for some reason?

Country
    Country Flag

I missed it somehow. I'm so sorry, but I've got you now. If you have a second nom, let me know.

Thanks Sam!

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast