everything from AC/DC is sacred

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Odetta View Post
    if it were an ACDC song, it would have to be Hells Bells
    But everytime I hear the bells at the beginning I always think "For Whom the Bell Tolls!" I should know that anything from Lightning wouldn't be on the classic rock station.

Hells Bells is probably my favorite from AC/DC, though they aren't one of my favorite bands. I do respect them and their influence however.

Jareth's Goblin Queen soylentjillian is on a distinguished road soylentjillian's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    But everytime I hear the bells at the beginning I always think "For Whom the Bell Tolls!" I should know that anything from Lightning wouldn't be on the classic rock station.

Hells Bells is probably my favorite from AC/DC, though they aren't one of my favorite bands. I do respect them and their influence however.
    HAHAH that happens to me too.

I don't like AC/DC very much. I like some of the songs, where there is more of a lyrical singing style (even like the big balls song) but I hate the screaming, for some reason I can't stomach it. I love screaming in metal. Just not AC/DC for some reason... it makes no sense, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Then, I call you Goblin Queen.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by soylentjillian View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post

HAHAH that happens to me too.

I don't like AC/DC very much. I like some of the songs, where there is more of a lyrical singing style (even like the big balls song) but I hate the screaming, for some reason I can't stomach it. I love screaming in metal. Just not AC/DC for some reason... it makes no sense, really.

Do you feel the same with Bon Scott singing?
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Gunslinger Apprentice Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

AC/DC ain't metal. It's good. But it ain't metal.

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munchausen View Post
    True - AC/DC is hard rock, classic rock

The godlike terror train

metal is one of the broadest musical categories ever. It was penned from a steppenwolf song for crying out loud. I'm sure many of your so called "metal bands" would name AC/DC as an influence.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

AC/DC is metal...just not HEAVY metal.

Anybody that can play 14 guage strings on an SG is heavy in my opinion.

Country
    Country Flag

AC/DC is not metal... it's a thin line between rock and metal bands but the overall genre that AC/DC does is rock. The band itself and the listeners tag it as a rock group (hard rock, classical rock)

The godlike terror train

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually it's a damn blues band doing rock songs and it certainly qualifies as metal. Genres are grey areas anyway...if you ask me there's way to many of them. To say AC/DC isn't metal is akin to saying Black Sabbath isn't also...which just about every band playing metal would dispute.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Aye...Ride on, Little Lover are the blues extremes but all of their works are blues.

I wonder what prompted that statement.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post
    AC/DC is not metal... it's a thin line between rock and metal bands but the overall genre that AC/DC does is rock. The band itself and the listeners tag it as a rock group (hard rock, classical rock)

Overall...it's blues.

Country
    Country Flag

Of course you can tag AC/DC as metal if you so want to.. you can tag 'em as rap also but that doesn't change the fact that they have always classified their music as "rock and roll" *and so have most of the listeners* it depends on a lot of things, but the overall music they do is rock

The godlike terror train

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

"Hard Rock" is what we old fuckers call "Metal."

R.E.O. Speedwagon is "rock." One cannot place REO in the same genre as AC/DC. There is a distinct difference.

Aw...it's all subjective and... fuck it.

ROCK AND ROLL AIN'T NOISE POLLUTION!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

The godlike terror train

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Jon, now you know REO Speedwagon is more like death metal than just rock.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No Brice, it's not death metal either. It's more like music to commit suicide to.

As for AC/DC, it could be called metal even though the band itself doesn't acknowledge that. I looked up metal bands on wikipedia and oddly enough, Metallica has no mention anywhere. That is one of the top metal bands IMO. It also listed Led Zepplin as well as Jimi Hendrix as metal. Not where I would have put either one of them, but that's just me.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Gunslinger Apprentice Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Wiki eh? Hmph.... Zepp and Jimi could be considered proto-metal but I wouldn't go farther than that. There are definite hallmarks that define metal from other genres but don't tell that to Lemmy. He doesn't consider Motorhead anything more than a rock 'n roll band. But they definitely do have the HM sound down to a "T". I think subject matter has much to do with what defines metal. Drinking, chicks and partying don't rate. Occult, fighting, sword and sorcery, the apocolypes, these are stereotypical metal themes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post

Overall...it's blues.
    A thin line, yet you insist on using absolutist terminology... "not" in bold etc...

Yeah, it is all blues and you can hear it in the bands who have more subtle progressions. Maybe I'd give them a copy of Robert Johnson's "king of the delta blues" and tell them this is where it all started.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

It's all so subjective. But "Rock and Roll" or "Rock" is a very general term to distinguish from classical or easy listening etc. Elvis is "Rock" as is Mayhem...but there is a distinct departure of the two. To say that AC/DC is rock and roll is like saying dogs are from the phyla, animalia. It is true, but does not help us distinguish a dog from a fox.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Occult, fighting, sword and sorcery, the apocolypes, these are stereotypical metal themes.

Interesting...lyrics from a song called If You Want Blood You Got It by a band known as AC/DC.

"...Blood on the rocks
    Blood on the streets
    Blood in the sky
    Blood on the sheets

If you want blood
    you got it

Want you to bleed for me"

By this same band

C.O.D.

C.O.D. - care of the devil
    C.O.D. - the devil in me
    C.O.D. - care of the devil

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Genre is useless info.

If you rescue me

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I can't pick one song but it would have to be from either Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, ... And Justice For All, Reign In Blood, Blackwater Park, or Ghost Reveries!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

At least ya' have it narrowed down!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast