Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Metal Fatigue

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Metal Fatigue

Fellow DT members, you are assigned to a desert island where the tribe know as the Whosheers reside. They know what rock and roll is, but not what heavy metal is. You can only fit one single track in your bag. What one metal song would you take, and herald, as THE heavy metal anthem?

My vote;

Man on the Silver Mountain - Rainbow
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Maybe not anthemic in the way that Twisted Sister's "We're not going to take it," but I'd give them "Fade to Black" by Metallica. From a musical perspective, the song represents all the best aspects of metal in my personal opinion. Unconventional key shifts, mixolydian scale work, and open appregiated chord structures all serve to create melancholic undertones less obvious than the suicidal themes of the lyrics. Its an epic song, and the best representation of the genre that I've ever heard.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, the complexity of the music is common to the genre. Well played.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Yes, the complexity of the music is common to the genre. Well played.
    Big compliment, coming from you, sir.

Jareth's Goblin Queen soylentjillian is on a distinguished road soylentjillian's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Maybe not anthemic in the way that Twisted Sister's "We're not going to take it," but I'd give them "Fade to Black" by Metallica. From a musical perspective, the song represents all the best aspects of metal in my personal opinion. Unconventional key shifts, mixolydian scale work, and open appregiated chord structures all serve to create melancholic undertones less obvious than the suicidal themes of the lyrics. Its an epic song, and the best representation of the genre that I've ever heard.
    Whenever I hear that song, I typically stop what I'm doing and sit by the speaker. If I'm driving, I make everyone in the car shut the fuck up. It mesmerizes me. I love Metallica more than any other band; the vast range of their music means that there is something for every mood I am in.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Brilliant suggestion Ryan ...and one of my favorites by them. Since you beat me to it I'll go with Battery or Whiplash. Basically almost any song from the first three albums could represent the whole genre IMO.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I would also go Mettallica in the puppets album but I'd pick damage inc.
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

To refresh my memory I just went to Youtube to have a listen and found some Gutair Hero version , now I cant stop laughing, or get that song fade to black out of my head

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Brilliant suggestion Ryan ...and one of my favorites by them. Since you beat me to it I'll go with Battery or Whiplash. Basically almost any song from the first three albums could represent the whole genre IMO.
    Thanks man.

Overall I prefer Master of Puppets to Ride the Lightning but "Fade to Black" will always be my favorite song by them.

That being said, "Master of Puppets" (the song), is also a great example of their versatility. I absolutely love the middle interlude which Kirk used an extended neck on his guitar for. I'm also a big fan of "Sanitarium" but "Battery" is a great mood setter for the album Brice. You have that opening 12 string lullaby and then the song loses control like the victims of the rest of the songs.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I must say that I am deeply in love with Metallica's The Small Hours from the first Garage Days.

John F. Kennedy ScottRiley is on a distinguished road ScottRiley's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would take them Opeth's 'Blackwater Park' to truly scare, enlighten, humble and numb them.

I think it is one of the greatest albums ever made, is full of amazing riffs, beautiful modal soloing, some lovely chord progressions, amazing guitar tones ranging from the most sublime clean to the thickest distortion, and some of the best song writing known to man.

If I had to pick an album that truly helped define heavy metal, I think it'd have to be Iron Maiden's 'Piece of Mind'

Gunslinger Apprentice Munchausen is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Deaf Forever by Motorhead. It's the epitome of what I look for in metal in both content and presentation.

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ScottRiley View Post
    I would take them Opeth's 'Blackwater Park' to truly scare, enlighten, humble and numb them.

I think it is one of the greatest albums ever made, is full of amazing riffs, beautiful modal soloing, some lovely chord progressions, amazing guitar tones ranging from the most sublime clean to the thickest distortion, and some of the best song writing known to man.
    Opeth ftw I really love 'em, saw them live last month

But i'd go there with a blind guardian song..... i'm not sure that i'd dare to pick only one from those great songs.... but with the current mood i'd go with the bard's song..

Or if real metal'ish metal is needed then i'd grab along Opeth - Demon of the fall! *or just something else from blind guardian - yeh i can't just stick with 1 *

*i wouldn't take only 1 song anyway *

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

judas priest's screaming for vengeance.

what?

Citizen of Gilead CPU is on a distinguished road CPU's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can't even answer, everytime I think I have one song another pops in my head....

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Two words.

Enter. Sandman.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CPU View Post
    I can't even answer, everytime I think I have one song another pops in my head....
    same

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

It was a tough choice for me. it was odd to NOT pick an Iron Maiden song. But pick please...the Whosheers are awaiting you... the helicopter is running...gas ain't cheap ya' know!

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

I would pick either Metallica's Sanitarium or One
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

Good choices Odetta.

I wish they'd re-record all the songs on Justice with heavier guitar tones and actual bass. I love the songs, but they remain the most poorly mixed in their catalog in my opinion.

Along the Path of the Beam Slash281 is on a distinguished road Slash281's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Master of Puppets or Dyers Eve. But just to mix it up, Angel of Death by Slayer.

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Good choices Odetta.

I wish they'd re-record all the songs on Justice with heavier guitar tones and actual bass. I love the songs, but they remain the most poorly mixed in their catalog in my opinion.
    i can agree with that!!!!

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Crazy Train by Ozzy maybe...
    or Back in Black by AC/DC...
    or... this is too hard!

if it were an ACDC song, it would have to be Hells Bells

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like Big Gun by ACDC myself.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast