Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Life on Mars (UK/US) + Ashes to Ashes

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Blood pattern analysis, by D.H.Cromby"
    "I'll wait for the film, thanks"
    "Oh, you'd like the book. It's got pictures"

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

"Is my name 'Coco'?"
    "...what?"
    "Why are you trying to make me look like a clown?"
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

... and the whole "police radio" thing. God, I so love films to be finely crafted, and they just don't get much more so than this one.

(and the tape recorder, of course... )

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Anyone else follow Gene Hunt on Twitter? He used to be more active, but he still pops up from time to time.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Been a while since I've been on twitter. Yes, I follow him on it. Some of his jokes are terrible puns, but they still make me laugh!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Oh shit, it's already ep.6! when it's over, there'll be only two to go... (yes, I know there's another season, but I want this season.)

I think I could count on my fingers the times when movie characters felt so close. I know I do not want to part with them - not only the big two, but Annie, Chris, Phyllis... Well, luckily I have three more hours ahead

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I like how you keep referring to the series or elements of the series as a 'movie'. Or at least, enjoy each episode in its own cinematic way. I think that's another thing I really enjoyed about LoM: the way it's shot, the way each story unfolds, it all does have that rare cinematic quality that a lot of shows strive to achieve but few rarely do.

By the way Jean, have you found anywhere to watch the 2nd season yet? Because all those characters you're loving at the moment - Sam, Gene, Annie, Chris, Ray, even the city of Manchester itself (which is as important to the show as the actual characters are, I think), you've still got those for another 8 episodes before Ashes starts (that's if you'd be interested in watching it when Life on Mars ends, as I think it ends rather brilliantly, so much so that you might not feel the need to see "what happens next" to most of the characters, as it were).

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I like how you keep referring to the series or elements of the series as a 'movie'. Or at least, enjoy each episode in its own cinematic way. I think that's another thing I really enjoyed about LoM: the way it's shot, the way each story unfolds, it all does have that rare cinematic quality that a lot of shows strive to achieve but few rarely do.
    This. Have just visited the site where
    Spoiler:
    I take movies from
    and read the Life On Mars comments - it is a Russian site, of course, but people understand everything. They write, among other things, I quote, "after every episode one feels like one has seen a full-length feature film". Precisely.

By the way Jean, have you found anywhere to watch the 2nd season yet? Because all those characters you're loving at the moment - Sam, Gene, Annie, Chris, Ray, even the city of Manchester itself (which is as important to the show as the actual characters are, I think), you've still got those for another 8 episodes before Ashes starts (that's if you'd be interested in watching it when Life on Mars ends, as I think it ends rather brilliantly, so much so that you might not feel the need to see "what happens next" to most of the characters, as it were).
    Yesyesyes!!! Silly old bear thought next season was already Ashes, got it all mixed up! So happy now - yes, I found it, and it seems to have an English soundtrack (well, if it doesn't, the long story will begin again... let's pray everything is all right)

even the city of Manchester itself
    This, yes! I adore it in a movie.

Country
    Country Flag

ep.7

"If everything is so wonderful in Hyde, why are you hanging around my department like the smell of last night's haddock? You could have gone back any time you fancied. The truth is, you like it here, you just can't bear to admit it".
    Spoken at exactly the right place and time, under the exactly right circimstances; totally natural and right to the point.

They do it continuingly, consistently, and it is a miracle. It is a subtle thing to do.

In ep. 6 the voices say, "let's remove his catheter, call the nurse!" - and Annie, dressed up as a nurse, appears from around the corner. At gunpoint. Done easy, with one screenwriter's and director's combined effort, without blurring, slo-mo, special effects or whatever else inadequate filmmakers have to use to induce insanity on their watchers. It's a supermegaclassic moment in this already supermegaclassic movie.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    ep.7

"If everything is so wonderful in Hyde, why are you hanging around my department like the smell of last night's haddock? You could have gone back any time you fancied. The truth is, you like it here, you just can't bear to admit it".
    Spoken at exactly the right place and time, under the exactly right circimstances; totally natural and right to the point.

They do it continuingly, consistently, and it is a miracle. It is a subtle thing to do.
    I love that speech. (But as you pointed out earlier Jean, the whole thing's so damn quoteable I could say that about practically any line!) Just that moment, of really being forced to think about how much Sam might be enjoying this life, and if he isn't looking at his previous life with rose-tinted specs, is again another classic moment, done with the right words and the right performance.

Also: Disco 2000 on the radio at the Indian restaurant. Love that moment, for three reasons. One, it's one of my favourite songs ever. Two, it's perfectly used. And three, Sam's reaction to it, again another reason why I think Simm is just brilliant with the role he has to play. In that specific moment, you do feel sorry for him and the situation he's in, even though, paradoxically, we both know he's more likely happier here than he is in the real world. The fact that this show can so easily fuck with your emotions like that...you know what, I don't think I have the words to say just how fantastic that is.

In ep. 6 the voices say, "let's remove his catheter, call the nurse!" - and Annie, dressed up as a nurse, appears from around the corner. At gunpoint. Done easy, with one screenwriter's and director's combined effort, without blurring, slo-mo, special effects or whatever else inadequate filmmakers have to use to induce insanity on their watchers. It's a supermegaclassic moment in this already supermegaclassic movie.
    Another reason for me to watch this again: I had completely forgotten about that. You're right, that is a fantastic use of subtlety. I bet you're really glad there's still another 8 eps to watch of this show!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

fuck, fuck, fuck!!!!!!!!!!

have downloaded the remaining files, and subtitles. Now, they don't fucking fit. I have synchronized them ten times, and every ten fucking seconds they galop forwards, so by the end the difference is a few fucking minutes. I either have to stop every twenty seconds and re-synch, which is NOT my idea of enjoying a movie, or switch the subs entirely off and lose at least 15% of the dialog.

does someone know if there is any way to do something about this? I don't understand. I have already downloaded two sets of subtitles, and they both do the same - something must be, obviously, wrong with the movie file (but what? fucking what? it plays TOTALLY normal)

I have KMPlayer, GOM player, and something else

My Mood
    Yeehaw

No idea Jean. Have you tried downloading the movie file again but from a different source?

As for having your technical question answered by someone with more know-how, you could try asking in a thread that's more widely read, like In Your Mind Right Now or displeased & bothered (because to be delayed at the last ep of series 1 after watching so many fantastic eps one after another is incredibly fucking annoying!)? Sorry I can't be of more help to ya than that!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

I don't have another source!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll try to ask it in the special thread

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, just as a random question, Jean: would it matter if the subtitles were on all the time, and not as something you could switch on and off?

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

on and off is best, because I need them only time to time, mainly when everyone talks at once, fast, and refer to things I may not know, or use slang I am not used to

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Thought as much. And how long is the movie file exactly?

Because, if all else fails, I do have (a) the episode on my dvd and (b) dvd ripper software, so I should be able to get a copy of the ep on my computer and upload it to, well, somewhere hopefully reliable, if you point me in the right direction. I just want to check if the copy of the ep you have is just a fraction of a degree slower than what I have on dvd. I also need to check if it's able to do subtitles as an option or not.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Rewatching the first episode. No matter how many times I watch it, I love how this show begins: fast cut chases, arrest warrants, protected suspects, it's all very modern. Then we have the accident, and everything slows right down as we arrive with Sam in 1973. Also, the nice use of colour to illustrate the differences between the 2 worlds, with the modern day being all bright and rather bland in a way, and then it's toned down in 1973 and much more colourful and, ironically, much more real. Yes, I never get tired of watching this!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Thought as much. And how long is the movie file exactly?

Because, if all else fails, I do have (a) the episode on my dvd and (b) dvd ripper software, so I should be able to get a copy of the ep on my computer and upload it to, well, somewhere hopefully reliable, if you point me in the right direction. I just want to check if the copy of the ep you have is just a fraction of a degree slower than what I have on dvd. I also need to check if it's able to do subtitles as an option or not.
    oh that's a great idea! I'll try to sort it out tomorrow, again, and if all else fails, we'll try.
    Rewatching the first episode. No matter how many times I watch it, I love how this show begins: fast cut chases, arrest warrants, protected suspects, it's all very modern. Then we have the accident, and everything slows right down as we arrive with Sam in 1973. Also, the nice use of colour to illustrate the differences between the 2 worlds, with the modern day being all bright and rather bland in a way, and then it's toned down in 1973 and much more colourful and, ironically, much more real. Yes, I never get tired of watching this!
    Very, very true all that. I think if I can't get the last 8 any time soon, I'll start an early re-watch...

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just finished the 2nd episode. Even now, I love noticing little things. Nelson's greeting of "Heyhey, pilgrim!" says so much about Sam and his situation with only a couple of fucking words, for crying out loud! Speaking of few words, Gene saying "Special glass?" never fails to make me laugh my fucking arse off, but also the funniest moment of the episode is really done with no words at all: the criminal pointing a gun at Sam and saying, "From what I've seen, your DCI will be glad to get shot of ya!"

The look on Sam's face is priceless every single time!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I think if I can't get the last 8 any time soon, I'll start an early re-watch...
    Considering how much I still enjoy this show, after so many times watching it, I really can't say I blame ya!

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

1 hour, 1 min and 33 sec

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Thanks, Jean. Soon as i get home, I'll try ripping the ep off the dvd. I think it's a little shorter than that, by about a minute or so. I'll let you know what the exact length is and whether I can get subtitles as optional, too.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

wait, I'll try to watch it (I have already begun, and seems like it works) this way: I keep a finger on a special key, and just press it time to time, to resynch (finally found out how to do this without recurring to the whole tedious and distracting procedure). So far, so good.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Fantastic! So you should be able to enjoy series 1 complete after all!

Now you just need to find series 2. Again, let me know if you have any difficulty finding those eps, as I've got that on dvd as well. Bought box sets as much as a present for the family as much as it was for me: as wildly different as our tastes are usually, it's one of those rare shows where we can just sit down and enjoy any episode of at any time.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

the best part is, that I really need subtitles only once: as soon as I learn what was it in the incomprehensible place, I won't forget it, so on the re-watch I just won't need any

So!!!!!!! At last, the second set of the first session! Today! Another Life on Mars marathon for the bears, I so needed it (my own life on Mars has been giving me some hell, so nothing could be better as one day of total relaxation, with such a movie to watch!)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Fantastic! Be sure to continue posting new insights when you can - it's very rare that I get the chance to discuss this show so heavily. Hell, I think you and I have made almost as many posts on this topic in the past week as it's received in the past 2 years since I made it!

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast