Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Life on Mars (UK/US) + Ashes to Ashes

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Default Life on Mars (UK/US) + Ashes to Ashes

*Or alternatively, the Gene Hunt Appreciation Board*

Ok, I thought i'd post a thread for these 3 shows since Ashes to Ashes: Series One has just started showing in the US and there's bound to be a couple of fans of the US remake of LoM (though, tbh, i'm not one of them) as well as their being a few fans of the UNBEATABLE original. Add the fact that the US version will be ending soon and a brand new series of Ashes to Ashes is about to start next month, it just seemed ultra necessary to have a topic on this board!

So come on, fess up: who else is looking forward to the return of DCI Gene Hunt and his band of "Armed Bastards"?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no idea what ur talking about
    I thought this thread was going to to have something to do with david bowie...
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

BBC America is where these shows can be found here in the US.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    I have no idea what ur talking about
    I thought this thread was going to to have something to do with david bowie...
    Oh, in a way it does. I'm referring to a British series made in 2006 about Sam Tyler, a modern day cop who gets hit by a car and wakes up in 1973. This is done to the tune of Life on Mars? by David Bowie, so you can imagine how EPIC the beginning is. (And if you can't, here's a link to it: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7i_j6cdKkY"]YouTube - Life On Mars - Sam goes to 1973[/ame])

Although the series lasted for just two series and a total of 16 episodes, it won many awards and proved to be one of the best and most original british shows made in a long time. It was so good, in fact, that ABC decided to remake a watered down version of it and show it after Lost. This will end soon, not because the writers have decided to finish it before it gets dragged out like the original, but simply because it's been cancelled.

Ashes to Ashes, meanwhile, is the sequal to the original British version, this time with DI Alex Drake going back in time to 1981. I'm a HUGE fan of both LoM and A2A, so I'm sorry if it seems like i've just rambled on, lol!

- Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I started by watching the US series. Pretty good, I thought. Hard to beat Harvey Keitel, I thought. Then I watched the entire UK series and man does it rock big time. The actors who play Gene and Sam are brilliant. Fascinating series with few missteps.

Then came Ashes to Ashes and they wrecked it all, in my opinion. Moving it from Manchester to London and upgrading it to the 1980s was a huge mistake. Gene drinking wine in an Italian restaurant instead of scotch in a pub? Gimme a break? Gene, Chris and Ray have turned into Miami Vice cops, dressed in 80s gear and spinning their tires.

But, to top it all off, I couldn't stand the new rocket girl. She dresses like she wants to take Jennifer Beals' place in Flashdance and she just annoys the crap out of me with her whining and self analysis. As much as I like Glennister, I gave up on Ashes to Ashes after a few episodes.

However, if you want more of Glennister and John Simm, check out the UK miniseries State of Play. It's being remade as an American theatrical release, which will destroy it, I'm sure, but the original is fantastic. Plus it has the always, always enjoyable Bill Nighy. Top notch. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Whilst i'll admit that the first series of Ashes to Ashes isn't as good as Life on Mars, Gene Hunt still had his great politically incorrect one liners. Think my favourite line is the joke he says to a feminist:

"How many birds does it take to change a lightbulb? Two: one to run around screaming what do i do and the other to shag the electrician!"

But you're right: Ashes to Ashes is, at the end of the day, VERY different to Life on Mars. It's like Marmite: you either love it or hate it. One reason I do have REALLY high hopes for series 2 though is this: the simple fact that the finale of A2A beats the series one finale of LoM HANDS DOWN. It's got such a brilliant twist that was so brilliant at hiding in plain sight (quite literally, the killer of Alex's parents really WAS hiding in plain sight), and it made things just that little bit more interesting.

EDIT: However, having said that Bev, I must warn ya: i'm the kind of guy who thought that Donna in Doctor Who not only kicked the shit out of both Rose and Martha, but ranks alongside both Sarah Jane Smith and Ace as one of my favourite companions in the entire show. Make of that what you will.

State of Play is something i'm constantly kicking myself for not having watched. John Simm and Philip Glenister in a mini series written by the writer of Cracker...and yet it always slips my mind. No way will i be watching the remake though. Bleurgh!

- Melike

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I thought Donna had her moments, but I liked her grandpa a lot more and thought he should have been offered a spin in the TARDIS at least once, because he would have absolutely loved it.

You can snag State of Play in various places, so it's not too late to catch up on it.

I've heard rumors of a good twist at the end of S1 of Ashes. Maybe I'll have to check it out at some point.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

So the US version of Life on Mars has finished. And from what i've heard of the ending...it's even lamer than Flagg's death!

Spoiler:
    Seriously...a hallucination that happens to a bunch of future people going to Mars...wtf?!?

Or maybe i'm just too much of a fan of the original. Personally, i thought the original ended perfectly. Then again I thought the original was perfect FULL STOP, so any slight change to the show was bound to fuck it up completely. When i see the US version over in the UK, i'll try my best to keep an open mind, but from what i saw of the first episode, Kietel's no match for the REAL Gene Genie!

- Melike

The last ten minutes was lameness defined. I choose to believe that the series ended when Sam kissed Annie and she said "Welcome to 1973." The rest of it was crap. "Gene hunt" indeed.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Bev, finally got round to watching the entire series of State of Play. Bloody hell! John Simm clearly stars in only the BEST of tv drama, that's for sure! David Morissey? Well, i suppose he does too, since Basic Instinct 2 was just a shit film and not shit telly.

Anyway, brand new series of Ashes to Ashes starting soon in a few hours! Woohoo! Certainly will be back on this board later to discuss that! Personally, i've still got plenty of high hopes that series 2 of A2A will be as good as LoM. Proof of the potential it does have is in the last ten minutes of the series 1 finale, most of which i've included below.

Spoiler:
    Recap: it's the day Alex's parents died, and she's doing everything she can to stop it happening. Having destroyed her gay uncle's car which she remembers her parents driving that day by running it over with a pink tank at a gay pride march (seriously), and warning her dad about a threat against his life (which, of course, he has no concern about, being a lawyer 'n all), she resorts to save their lives by arresting them on possession of drugs. However, after a visit to the station by Lord Scarman and Gene Hunt pwning his ass with the kickarse speach of the century (well, last century), she's about to realise that her plans have just been fucked up...
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLYnsW1iDeI"]YouTube - Ashes to Ashes Ending [Series 1] Finale[/ame]

Spoiler:
    Afterwards it's revealed in a tape that the father had made, knowing that it would be discovered once he was dead, that he had found out about his wife's affair, and didn't believe life was worth living anymore, for him or his family. Upon Alex's godfather's request the tape was destroyed, so that Alex would never find out about what her father had done until she was ready to know.

Thought you'd be interested in an antidote to the AWFUL ending of the US Life on Mars, which, also thanks to youtube, i have now watched. Oh dear oh dear oh dear! It really was as bad as i heard it was!

Spoiler:
    Seriously, going to Mars...to find a cure for cancer. Cure...for cancer...huh?

- Melike

I gave up on A2A about halfway through the season because I didn't like the main character. But I keep hearing about the "last ten minutes" of series 1, so maybe I'll have to check it out sometime. Haven't read the spoilers!

I think John Simm is one of the coolest actors working. Did you see him as The Master on Doctor Who? He has this self-assured swagger and comfortable ease.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I think John Simm is one of the coolest actors working. Did you see him as The Master on Doctor Who? He has this self-assured swagger and comfortable ease.
    Does the pope shit in the woods? (I don't know myself, but i just love using that phrase!) Course i saw him in Doctor Who! As a lifelong Doctor Who fanatic (ok, i'm only 20, but i've been a much longer fan of Who than a lot of other people), i've gotta admit that it was the most awesome thing when he said, "Why don't we stop and have a nice little chat while i tell you all my plans and you can work out a way to stop me?" Gotta be the coolest master since the original, Roger Delgado, and THAT'S saying something! But yeah, i've checked out so much of John Simm's stuff now, and i still don't think i've seen enough! Guy's a legend!

On the new series of Ashes to Ashes: opening episode was great. Not phenomenal, but a decent opener. Alex Drake seems to have gotten used to 1982 (it's moved forward six months now), and has learned to stop that annoying habit of saying what she's thinking out loud. So yeah, ever since her parent's deaths she's MUCH less annoying. Also, there's a much more interesting arc this series since Alex has appeared to made two new enemies: a very dodgy superintendent, who Gene seems to be a good mate with, and an unseen lunatic who seems very interested in Drake. That story wouldn't be nowhere near interesting if it weren't for the fact that he seems to be from the present day.

So A2A, like Torchwood, seems to have matured in its 2nd series after a shaky opening one which tried hard, maybe too hard, to step out of the shadow of the original. Of course, i'm only judging from the first episode, but like i said: Drake's much less posh, smarmy, arrogant, and just all round annoying. 'Nuff said!

- Melike

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just found this thread. I love these shows! I loved Life on Mars. Quite liked Ashes to Ashes series 1, and I thought the new episode was great.

Spoiler:
    I though it an interesting twist that the start of the episode appeared to happen in the present day world, with 2 nurses. (We don't usually see the present day that clearly except the odd glimpse.) And then that rascal who kidnapped Alex. Very strange...

As for John Simm as the Master.... I thought he was just a bit too manic. It was as if he was just going for a more psycho version of Tenant's doctor (which to be fair might have been the whole point.) He wasn't bad though.

The previous chap was a lot more chilling, particularly considering he was so lovely before
    Spoiler:
    opening the fob watch
    . It's a shame they couldn't keep him on.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Six episodes in, and series 2 of A2A has already proven itself to be just as good as LoM, and coming from a John Simm fan, that's saying something! With the exception of the last episode (which was dull and boring, tbh), I've been loving every minute of A2A, especially now that the ongoing mystery of working out if the people in a coma really are just in a coma. Hopefully, some questions will be answered before the end, such as:
    Spoiler:
    - Who the fuck is Martin Summers?
    - How the fuck did he get to 1982?
    - Does he know how Sam and Alex got there?
    - And is "Coma World" real after all?

Gotta say I can't wait for next week's ep!

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    As for John Simm as the Master.... I thought he was just a bit too manic. It was as if he was just going for a more psycho version of Tenant's doctor (which to be fair might have been the whole point.) He wasn't bad though.

The previous chap was a lot more chilling, particularly considering he was so lovely before
    Spoiler:
    opening the fob watch
    . It's a shame they couldn't keep him on.
    I'm in two minds about that. Yes,
    Spoiler:
    Sir Derek Jacobi
    was magnificent as the old Master, and he really did have that whole Master vibe about him, but...John Simm kinda took the idea of the character back to its roots. Like you've said, it was like he was a psychotic version of the 10th Doctor, which kinda works for the character considering Delgado's Master was essentially a psychotic version of the 3rd. That's what made him so memorable, imo. Never did warm to Ainley's master, though. It was as if they were trying too hard to copy the success of Delgado's. And you just can't copy Delgado! Delgado will always be unbeatable!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

JUST watched the series 2 Ashes to Ashes finale...regarding the ending...

oh...

my...

GOD!

OK, was anyone else expecting that? Cause that...that was just...that was BRILLIANT!

Spoiler:
    "Can you hear me, Bols? I need ya to wake up!"

I need some discussion on this asap! Anyone else watched it?

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Ok, so i know it's been nearly a year since the last post in this forum, but guys: i need some SERIOUS discussion on that ending. I mean bloody hell! I wasn't exactly surprised, the theory has been bouncing around for quite some time on a whole lot of message boards as to what would happen...but it was done so well and so right that I just simply love it. Anyone on here watched it?

- Melike

I'll check in within a day or two -- I haven't read more than the first few words of your post in case of spoilers, but I plan to watch the final episode shortly.

OK -- excellent ending. I'm glad I gave Ashes a second chance. I surrendered after about three or four episodes but was encouraged by reports of the second series to give it another go. Satisfying resolution.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Totally agree with ya there, Bev. I must admit, I was afraid when I heard reports that the ending would make everything clear - one of the things I loved about the ending of LoM UK was how ambiguous it was - and I was doubly afraid by all the characters beginning to see
    Spoiler:
    stars,
    as it reminded a whole lot of us of the atrocious ending to the LoM remake, but it was done beautifully, I think. There's only one problem I have with it, and that's the fact that it really does ignore the ending of series one
    Spoiler:
    where young Alex met Gene,
    but aside from that, everything else fits, and it was done so well that I just don't care, really.

Also, was it just me who was kinda reminded of the ending of the Dark Tower?
    Spoiler:
    Everyone seems to get a happy ending, moving on to another, better life, but leaving our main hero behind, essentially starting the story all over again? I mean it was a little more upbeat than DT, but there did seem to be a couple of superficial similarities.

Also, it's kinda funny thinking of Gene as the Manc Roland Deschain!

- Melike

I think there are probably some logical inconsistencies that mean that the ending of A2A shouldn't be scrutinized too closely or it might start to unravel. For example,

Spoiler:
    it would mean that Sam Tyler had to die twice--once at the beginning of LoM to get him into Gene's world and once again at the end.

I read that they bandied about the idea of bringing John Simm back for the finale but ultimately decided that Sam Tyler might upstage Alex on her own show so it never went beyond the discussion stage.

Do you watch Lost? If so -- the finale...see any similarities?!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Nope, i haven't, only watched the first 2 seasons. But I do have the internet, so by now, I've heard of the biggest similarities of the two shows endings. (Even if i didn't want to!)

Ugh, I should've just skipped to the end last night, methinks. I would've missed a lot, but with everyone going on about it, at least I would've been surprised with the rest of them!

Now, i've liked what I've seen of Lost. But then, I really enjoyed watching Ashes to Ashes. But which ending was better?

There's only one way to find out:

FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

- Melike

Locke vs. Gene Hunt
    Kate vs. Alex
    Claire vs. Shaz
    Sawyer vs. Ray
    Sayid vs. Chris. (Okay, maybe Hurley vs. Chris)

Gunslinger Apprentice Clacke will become famous soon enough Clacke's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Having seen both shows wrapped up this weekend, the impression I got was that Matthew Graham & Ashley Pharoah had pretty much mapped out how they were going to wrap up the 'Life On Mars/Ashes To Ashes' series from the outset - it was a very satisfying outcome.
    With 'Lost', I think as the seasons went by, the writers tied themselves in knots, reached Season six and then went: " Oh oh, how are we gonna finish this!" Think they did a reasonable job but it left me going hmmm.

By the way, the acting in the Ashes To Ashes finale from the entire cast was astonishing! - some of the best performances I've seen in years!

Quote Originally Posted by Clacke View Post
    By the way, the acting in the Ashes To Ashes finale from the entire cast was astonishing! - some of the best performances I've seen in years!
    Even from "Alex" -- who didn't really impress me all that much in the early episodes of the first season.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast