Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spidey on Broadway! Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Spidey on Broadway! Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark

Did you hear about this? Are they serious?

There is apparently going to be a Broadway Musical called: "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark". Music by Bono and The Edge of U2. Directed by Tony Award Winner (and Academy Award Nominated) Julie Taymor. She did "The Lion King" on Broadway and films include "Frida" and "Across the Universe"

Opens February 2010 with previews next January.

All I know about this is what I found here:

http://spidermanonbroadway.marvel.com/

Feel free to post your praise, news, or disgust.

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Spidey is already in tights, so it's not surprising his next step is Broadway.

P.S. I hate Bono.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I heard about this on another site. It could be amusing. The Evil Dead musical was popular apparently (I haven't seen it, living on the other side of the pond.)

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My prediction is that it will flop miserably. It is just not adaptable to the stage. My guess is the music will be "okay" and the special effects will be overwhelming but the restraints of the theater stage will hamper the story telling. I've seen it before: Elton John and Bernie Taupin's adaptation of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles "Lestat". I was one of the very few to see it on Broadway as it was only open like a month. As a fan of the series I was sorely disappointed.

Evil Dead Musical? I had heard of it but did not get the opportunity to go. I believe it was an off-Broadway production. I wonder if it's still showing...

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Cosmic Geek is on a distinguished road

I totally fear this muscial but I love Spidey so to be honest, I kind of want to see it.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I fear it is one of the Seven Signs of the Apocolypse....

.... and I kind of want to see it, too. Jim Sturgess was great in Across the Universe.

From IGN : February 25, 2009 - We've been hearing rumors about this for awhile, and the first official word on the project has now arrived: The wallcrawler himself, Spider-Man, is heading to the Great White Way -- no, not the Black Cat's Great White Way. We're talking Broadway, here.

The show, called rather cryptically Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark, will begin previews January 16th in advance of a February 18th opening. Variety has the report, adding that the musical will be staged at Broadway's Hilton Theater.

No casting has been announced yet for the project, though The Wrestler's Evan Rachel Wood has previously been quoted as saying she's in the play, presumably as Peter Parker's girl Mary Jane Watson. Meanwhile, Jim Sturgess is expected to play Peter Parker/Spider-Man. The pair previously starred in Across the Universe, which happened to be directed by the queen of Broadway adaptations Julie Taymor (The Lion King), who is also helming Spider-Man for the stage.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

GAAAA!!!!!
    This is nothing less than people who are certainly NOT comicnerds trivializing my culture!!!!
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, I agree completely! ( But likely will still try to get tickets ).

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to be the voice of Binky here and say it could be good.
    I'll try to see it regardless.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow...can't believe I didn't hear about this until just now...I hope it won't flop, but sadly, it probably will.

On another note, I've watched The Evil Dead musical...it's brilliant...I even went and bought the soundrack.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

I saw part of the Evil Dead musical on You Tube I believe and loved it. Reall wish I could have seen it. Great movie, great musical it sounded like.

I see you are a Shaun of the Dead fan, as am I. What do you think of a musical of Shaun of the Dead? Could be cool if done properly, it would be a "piece of fried gold".

I really hope the Spider-man musical doesn't suck. I want to see it but am scared it will be bad.
    Last edited by The Cosmic Geek; 03-06-2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

My Mood
    Gay

I am hoping, honestly, with Julie Taymor, Jim Sturggess and Bono/Edge - that's a pretty talented group.... I have, well, kind of high expectations.

I find it strange that Bono is doing it. I wonder if he is a Spider-man fan? I also wonder what the songs will sound like? Or the sets or costumes?

My Mood
    Gay

He worked with Julie Taymor in the film Across The Universe ( same as Jim Sturggess and Wood ).

Jim Sturgges? Didn't he write the songs for Bat Outta Hell?

My Mood
    Gay

Here's a photo of Jim Sturgess in Across The Universe :

I'm pretty sure Bat Out Of Hell was Meatloaf and Jim Steinman.

Ah, crap, I cry you pardon. I can't believe I got this wrong. I loved Jim Sturges in Across the Universe. His voice was amazing and I loved his character. I feel like such a fool.

Yeah, it was Steinman for Bat Out of Hell. I really can't believe I mixed the two up.

If Sturgess is playing Spider-man I definitely want to see this.

My Mood
    Gay

Cosmic Geek - hey, cut yourself a break!

Sturgess as Spidey - That's the rumor, my friend, I even found this that someone photoshopped up. Funny.

Also, I've been reading that Evan Rachel Wood is going to be Mary Jane.

It's like half the cast of Across The Universe!

I'm trying not to get too jazzed but the more I hear, the better this could be.

I heard Rachel Evan Wood is confirmed for MJ. Which is cool, since she has a beautiful voice and has red hair, which MJ does.

(It's funny, Kirsten Dunst wore a wig for MJ and I always felt it looked just OK. Bryce Howard died her hair blonde for Gwen Stacy and I thought she looked perfect in the movie.)

I really like the idea of Sturgess for Peter Parker. I think he can pull it off well. Sounds like two great leads. I'm looking forward to hearing more casting for this.

And that photo shop picture rocks.

Thanks for the hug!

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    Yeah, I heard about this on another site. It could be amusing. The Evil Dead musical was popular apparently (I haven't seen it, living on the other side of the pond.)
    They interviewed George Romero about that a few weeks ago, and he said it was pretty well-crafted, although I don't know that I'd take George Romero's word on the quality of theatrical productions.

My Mood
    Gay

I got an email from Marvel Pulse indicating that advanced tickets for next Januarywould be available soon to newsletter subscribers.

My Mood
    Gay

More news... you know, I might have to go see this thing.

Spider-Man: Who Will Sing With Evan Rachel Wood?

Los Angeles (E! Online) – Evan Rachel Wood is close to finally snagging herself a Spider-Man.

Her singing and dancing Spidey, that is.

It was announced some time ago that Wood is going to play Mary Jane in Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark, the upcoming Broadway musical directed by Julie Taymor with music by Bono and his U2 mate The Edge.

While no official announcement has been made about who has landed the coveted role of Peter Parker/Spider-Man, a show insider dropped some mighty big hints of who it's likely to be. Read on for the web-slinging details…

Spider-Man choreographer Daniel Ezralow describes the top candidate as the lead singer of a rock band who has "the right energy, the naiveté [and] the right innocence" to play the part.

Could it be singer Reeve Carney, frontman of a band called Carney? Buzz about him began back in March when he performed at a sneak peak of the show that Taymor and Bono hosted for the media. (Who is this Carney? Check out the band's official website here.)

"We've put a few people through a lot of auditions," Ezralow told us last night at the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences' TV Moves! 2 Live event. "They've come back numerous times to sing for Bono and Julie and to work with me, learning how to get in the harness and start flying and flipping through the air."

He continued, "We haven't made the final decision, but we're in the ninth hour."

Ezralow says expect Spider-Man to be a "Broadway and Cirque du Soleil hybrid."

If Taymor was able to make the Lion King musical into an international hit, we're sure she'll be able to do the same with the superhero.

My Mood
    Gay

Well... gonna have to resurrect this thread.

Apparently Evan Rachel Wood has dropped from the cast.

Wood Exits Spider-Man Broadway Show
    Source: Variety

Variety reports that Evan Rachel Wood has dropped out of the Broadway show "Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark." The production is rumored to be getting previews in late summer ahead of an official opening around Halloween.

Producers of Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark," in which Wood would have played Mary Jane opposite Reeve Carney as Peter Parker and Alan Cumming as the Green Goblin, confirmed the exit.

"Evan Rachel Wood has departed 'Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark' due to a scheduling conflict," they said. "Casting is underway to find a new Mary Jane to join the rest of the cast in the production."

The show, helmed by Julie Taymor, will feature music by U2's Bono and the Edge.

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthful View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    They interviewed George Romero about that a few weeks ago, and he said it was pretty well-crafted, although I don't know that I'd take George Romero's word on the quality of theatrical productions.
    But a musical crafted on The Evil Dead wouldn't be the same type of musical as one crafted on, for example, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown. (There probably is a CB Great Pumpkin musical.)

Because of The Evil Dead's cult status, including low production value, hammy acting, and cheesy effects, it naturally lends itself to a much cheesier musical. The trilogy managed to keep it light, cheesy, and hammy despite having better and better production quality. I would expect an ED musical to feel Rocky Horroresque.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Well... gonna have to resurrect this thread.

Apparently Evan Rachel Wood has dropped from the cast.

Wood Exits Spider-Man Broadway Show
    Source: Variety

Variety reports that Evan Rachel Wood has dropped out of the Broadway show "Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark." The production is rumored to be getting previews in late summer ahead of an official opening around Halloween.

Producers of Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark," in which Wood would have played Mary Jane opposite Reeve Carney as Peter Parker and Alan Cumming as the Green Goblin, confirmed the exit.

"Evan Rachel Wood has departed 'Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark' due to a scheduling conflict," they said. "Casting is underway to find a new Mary Jane to join the rest of the cast in the production."

The show, helmed by Julie Taymor, will feature music by U2's Bono and the Edge.
    Wow...I can't believe she dropped from it. Especially with it starting this year and all.

hhmm...I wonder who the replacement will be.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast