Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Who Would Win The Battle?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Green Arrow

5 22.73%
  • Spider-Man

17 77.27%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: VERSUS Battle #3 – The Green Arrow Vs. Spider-Man ! Please Vote !

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Default VERSUS Battle #3 – The Green Arrow Vs. Spider-Man ! Please Vote !

Ladies and Gentlemen, Comic-Geeks, Fanboys and Girls - Let’s Get Ready To Rumble !!!!

The third VERSUS battle is now open!

Please place your votes and make your claims!

This thread will be open for approximately two weeks of comments, grandstanding, and claims of the invincible!

Pick your winner and let us know why you did !

The Green Arrow VERSUS Spider-Man

The Green Arrow / Oliver Queen :

Oliver Queen has no superhuman abilities, but he makes up for it with his extraordinary skills as an archer and his enormous family fortune. From the roof of Queen Tower, Oliver was able to hit the ornamental globe on the roof of the Daily Planet building almost a mile away. He was able to aim his arrow inside of the hole of a pop tab of a soda can. He was also able to anticipate a bullet in flight and block it with an arrow. Oliver Queen is perhaps the finest archer ever known. He claims to be able to shoot 29 arrows per minute (he stated this himself, in the Sound of Violence story arc, when he corrected Black Canary for saying 26). He has a wide-variety of trick arrows, ranging from bola arrows to time-bomb arrows to his infamous boxing-glove arrow. In recent years he has used these arrows sparingly, preferring the time-tested simple arrow. Green Arrow has shown the ability to shoot an arrow down the barrel of a gun, pierce a drop of water as it leaves a tap and shoot almost any part of the human body. He is proficient in several forms of hand-to-hand combat including Judo, Kickboxing and Karate. Proclaimed as a martial arts master, he has shown the ability to take on seven people at once. Ollie is also very proficient with a sword, though it is not his preferred weapon of choice.

Spider-Man :

Peter Parker/Spider-Man can cling to most surfaces, has superhuman strength (able to lift 10 tons optimally) and is roughly 15 times more agile than a regular human. The combination of his acrobatic leaps and web-slinging enables him to travel rapidly from place to place. His spider-sense provides an early warning detection system linked with his superhuman kinesthetics, enabling him the ability to evade most any injury, provided he doesn't cognitively override the autonomic reflexes. Spider-Man designed and constructed several devices that he traditionally carries as part of his full costume. This includes twin artificial web-shooters worn at the wrists, spare web cartridges attached to his belt, spider-tracer devices attuned to his spider-sense, the spider-signal light, and a compact camera. He has reconstructed his web shooters out of a high density plastic to avoid metal detectors, and has added modifications to detect low web-fluid levels, and propel spider-tracers. Spider-Man's bodily tissue is a great deal more durable and resistant to some types of injury than a normal human. However, Spider-Man is far from invulnerable. While his body is tougher than an ordinary human, he can still be injured in ways comparable to an ordinary human.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Green.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Ollie couldnt hit spiderman, it would be a knockout in a few seconds, there are very few non superhumans who could hold their own against the webslinger and the green arrow isnt one of them
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Difficult. Ollie has the range advantage obviously, but Spiderman's spider sense would allow him to dodge even Ollie's arrows. Ollie could adjust accordingly, i.e. shoot a number of arrows quickly, aiming at where Spiderman will be, but I think the spider sense might even get around that, at least saving his life* if not his bottom.

Of course Spiderman has some ranged ability too with his web slingers. I doubt he would be near as accurate as Ollie, but then he doesn't need to be with a wide spread. He wouldn't have the range of Ollie's arrows, but as long as he can dodge the first few it wouldn't take him long to cover the distance. Once webbed Ollie would be helpless.

In a straight up fight, I think Ollie would actually be able to hold his own for a little while. Spiderman can be hurt by an ordinary human of sufficient skill. (Daredevil whilst not an ordinary human is no stronger than a fit man, and he has beaten Spiderman. Daredevil has a sensory thing of his own going on though, and Spiderman was insane at the time.) However, I think Spiderman would outmatch him. Unless Ollie took him down quickly Spiderman would win by sheer power and stamina. Also Spiderman has agility on his side with his flying leaps and web swings.

(Also isn't Ollie an older man, although I don't think Spiderman is a spring chicken any more?)

In conclusion, taking range into account, I think it could go either way. But I'm going for Spiderman.

This is the first time I've voted for a Marvel character! This isn't a DC fanboy thing though. I'm voting purely on the characters. I wouldn't class myself as a DC or Marvel fanboy anyway, although I've read and enjoyed comics from both.

*Actually, I don't think these battles should be to the death if the characters aren't inclined that way. If the person is rendered immobile or unconscious, I think that should be considered a win. Not my place to make the rules though, just a suggestion.

My Mood
    Gay

Excellent points, Brainslinger! Well said.

Personally, though I'm leaning towards Spidey, it's the number of arrows ( and the kind of arrows ) that the GA could send Spidey's way that make me hesitate. He can fire 29 arrows a minute! Could Spidey really dodge all 29 of them?

And the Green Arrow has quite the compliment of trick arrows to use :
    • Acetylene Arrow
    • Acid Arrow (contains a vial of highly corrosive acid which is released on impact)
    • Antler Arrow
    • Atomic Warhead Arrow (contains an extremely miniaturized atomic warhead)
    • Baby Rattle Arrow
    • Boomerang Arrow
    • Bola Arrow
    • Boxing Glove Arrow
    • Buzzsaw Arrow
    • Chimney sweep Arrow
    • Cryonic (Freezing) Arrow
    • Drill Arrow (tipped with a motorized drill-bit)
    • Explosive Arrow (contains a simple compact explosive charge)
    • EMP arrow first appear in Smallville episode "Reunion." It is designed to disable electronic devices.
    • Fire extinguisher Arrow
    • Flash Arrow
    • Fountain Pen Arrow
    • Glue Arrow
    • Grappling Hook Arrow
    • Handcuffs Arrow (tipped with a pair of handcuffs that close around a person's wrist on impact, if aimed properly)
    • Ink Arrow
    • Kryptonite Arrow (contains an isotope of Kryptonite, to be used against Kryptonians such as Superman or Supergirl should they go rogue)
    • Mini-Arrow
    • Mummy Arrow
    • Net Arrow (contains a spring-loaded nylon mesh which is released and entangles the target on impact)
    • Paint Brush Arrow
    • Safe-Cracking Arrow
    • Smokescreen Arrow (releases a wide stream of harmless obscuring smoke through the air after being fired)
    • Sonic Arrow
    • Stunner Arrow
    • Tear Gas Arrow
    • Tumbleweed Arrow
    • Quantum Arrow (actually two arrows to be used simultaneously, one fired by Green Arrow and another by his sidekick Speedy. Used in an episode of JLU, "Patriot Act".
    • Greek Fire Arrow

Could Spidey fight off 29 of those?!?!?
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Excellent points, Brainslinger! Well said.

Personally, though I'm leaning towards Spidey, it's the number of arrows ( and the kind of arrows ) that the GA could send Spidey's way that make me hesitate. He can fire 29 arrows a minute! Could Spidey really dodge all 29 of them?

And the Green Arrow has quite the compliment of trick arrows to use :
    • Acetylene Arrow
    • Acid Arrow (contains a vial of highly corrosive acid which is released on impact)
    • Antler Arrow
    • Atomic Warhead Arrow (contains an extremely miniaturized atomic warhead)
    • Baby Rattle Arrow
    • Boomerang Arrow
    • Bola Arrow
    • Boxing Glove Arrow
    • Buzzsaw Arrow
    • Chimney sweep Arrow
    • Cryonic (Freezing) Arrow
    • Drill Arrow (tipped with a motorized drill-bit)
    • Explosive Arrow (contains a simple compact explosive charge)
    • EMP arrow first appear in Smallville episode "Reunion." It is designed to disable electronic devices.
    • Fire extinguisher Arrow
    • Flash Arrow
    • Fountain Pen Arrow
    • Glue Arrow
    • Grappling Hook Arrow
    • Handcuffs Arrow (tipped with a pair of handcuffs that close around a person's wrist on impact, if aimed properly)
    • Ink Arrow
    • Kryptonite Arrow (contains an isotope of Kryptonite, to be used against Kryptonians such as Superman or Supergirl should they go rogue)
    • Mini-Arrow
    • Mummy Arrow
    • Net Arrow (contains a spring-loaded nylon mesh which is released and entangles the target on impact)
    • Paint Brush Arrow
    • Safe-Cracking Arrow
    • Smokescreen Arrow (releases a wide stream of harmless obscuring smoke through the air after being fired)
    • Sonic Arrow
    • Stunner Arrow
    • Tear Gas Arrow
    • Tumbleweed Arrow
    • Quantum Arrow (actually two arrows to be used simultaneously, one fired by Green Arrow and another by his sidekick Speedy. Used in an episode of JLU, "Patriot Act".
    • Greek Fire Arrow

Could Spidey fight off 29 of those?!?!?
    Yes yes I think he could, considering he can fight the goblins various (and all very lethal) pumpkin bombs without much trouble

Plus spidey has taken out foes with similar weapons n skills as green arrow like bullseye, silver sable and especially hawkeye

also brainslinger: spiderman is 25 years old

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Spidey.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

>also brainslinger: spiderman is 25 years old

Really? I remember him as a young man when I was a kid. I've overtaken him. Heh. I knew comic book heroes generally don't age in real time* but I thought Spidey would be in his 30s now. I'm not really surprised though.

I think Ollie is in his 40s (I'm not certain but he seems to be a robust middle age. Does pretty well with the ladies tough.) That's certainly another thing in Spidey's favour, although minor considering the other things like bench pressing a few tonnes, etc.

*Outside of 2000 AD anyway. For each year passing in our world the same passes in Dredd's world meaning Dredd is well into his 60s now. Come to think of it he might be pushing 70.

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spider-Man (I always use the hyphen ) would win.

Flagg, I think it would be more of a contest than you imply. I think Green Arrow has at least a chance of getting licks in, but you're right about Spidey ultimately prevailing. He has defeated some very skilled humans. I think it's important though to at least acknowledge how Peter Parker tends to achieve victory. He tends to lose battles with main foes (and I'm not talking about Hypno Hustler, or Frog-Man... look them up) until he discovers weaknesses. He rarely ever wins without breaking a sweat.

I think it would be a good fight, and Spider-Man wins. Green Arrow seems to me like a cross between Kraven, Bullseye, and Hawk-Eye. And you're right, that does not beat Spider-strength, speed, and sense.

Do You Folks Like Coffee?
    Real Coffee,
    From the Hills Of Colombia?

The Duncan Hills awake you
    from a thousand deaths.
    A cup of blackened blood.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

Gunslinger Apprentice EdwardDean1999 is on a distinguished road EdwardDean1999's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hypno-Hustler

Frog-Man

I swear, some of Spider-Man's foes are just dorks!

Real Coffee,

from a thousand deaths.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

My Mood
    Gay

Couple of little things :

I had been working on this battle's write up for a couple of days ( finding pics, ability write-ups, etc ) and then realized that "officially" Spidey has a hyphen. I had to go and edit every entry because I wrote "Spiderman". Ah.

Um, the Goblin's bombs, etc... he doesn't throw 29 of them in a minute! I don't think I've ever seen more than five or six at a time.

Oh, yes, Spidey beat Hawkeye... an excellent point.

The Green Arrow might not have Spidey-Sense but he does have extremely good / sharpened reflexes ( ie - He was also able to anticipate a bullet in flight and block it with an arrow. ).

And we can only hope they bring Hypno-Hustler back for one of the Spider-Man movies.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brainslinger View Post
    >also brainslinger: spiderman is 25 years old

Really? I remember him as a young man when I was a kid. I've overtaken him. Heh. I knew comic book heroes generally don't age in real time* but I thought Spidey would be in his 30s now. I'm not really surprised though.

I think Ollie is in his 40s (I'm not certain but he seems to be a robust middle age. Does pretty well with the ladies tough.) That's certainly another thing in Spidey's favour, although minor considering the other things like bench pressing a few tonnes, etc.

*Outside of 2000 AD anyway. For each year passing in our world the same passes in Dredd's world meaning Dredd is well into his 60s now. Come to think of it he might be pushing 70.
    Peter parker WAS in his mid thirties until One-More-Day which was basically like one of DC's Crisises except only for him
    they have stated several times since then that his age is 25
    actually I think characters not aging is a serious problem in comicbooks, if both marvel and DC want to keep their characters fresh and cool they need to address it in a non-lame, non backbreaking, non mephistoish, non muliverse reset way

Spoiler:
    Unless they decide to use more clones
    Clones are good

loyal follower of Tiamat kirin is on a distinguished road kirin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    not the whole spiderman clone thing though i didnt like that

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I think that Green would win. an arrow every two seconds plus deadly accuracy. not to mention that spidey's webs rely on his cartridges. first thing Green would go for is the hands. regardless, the difference between spidey and green, is that Green needs to get only on hit in to win. because
    a. that hit would finish spidey
    or
    b. now he's fighting a wounded opponent, and could probably take him down next hit.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Here's what I see as the scenario:
    The fight begins with Spidey jumping GA or vice versa, and the jumper getting a shock from the jumpee when they learn the other can actually fight. GA takes some GOOD shots from Spidey, but is able to shake 'em off because he rolled with the punches. He decides he's not going to win a straight up fight and goes to his arrows. He takes off into a construction zone only to get hit by a webline just before he gets to cover. Spidey snatches him into some hollow tubing nearby and moves in from above to see how GA is. His spider sense goes off and he dodges out of the way of several arrows (regular ones). Spidey goes back into the fray by hitting the ground and throwing web balls at GA, which GA dodges. GA comes up with and arrow on the shelf and fires a buzzsaw arrow, not at spidey, but at the crane up above. The arrow hits and cuts the crane line, releasing an I-beam toward Spidey. He then sends arrows to Spidey's sides so he has to stay where he is for a moment. Spidey easily catches the I-beam with several weblines (some of which are cut by GA's arrows) and his super strength. Just as Spidey catches the beam, his spider sense goes off and *BANG*, GA hits the beam with a flash arrow. Spidey can't see and is disoriented just long enough for **WHAM**, one boxing glove arrow. Spidey goes out and GA is the victor.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Soldier Boy Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta is a jewel in the rough Odetta's Avatar

The Green Arrow??????? What a loser!

Spidey rulz
    Buddy, you think you look strong? You’re wearing a cape.

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kirin View Post
    Spoiler:
    not the whole spiderman clone thing though i didnt like that
    Spoiler:
    Ben reilly is still alive!!!! a perfect clone like him wouldnt have crumbled to dust the way he did when he died (see peter parker: spiderman # 75) which means that someone probably miles the jackal warren or in light of recent events possibly mister sinister switched him out for an imperfect construct

Boxing glove arrows?!!! that's really stupid sounding
    IF those r in play then spiderman could just run him over with the spidermobile
    and yes there was one (in the 1970s) though most of us try forget it or like to think it never happened due 2 one-more-day

Country
    Country Flag

I know there was a Spider Mobile. I had one as a kid. The Boxing Glove arrow has been seen in very recent continuity, can the same be said for the Spider Mobile?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

My Mood
    Gay

Not so sure about the Boxing Glove Arrow but ....

What about the Atomic Warhead Arrow... surely that would take out Spidey?

Country
    Country Flag

Atomic warhead arrow. Dear me.

If it hit him, I'm sure it would. Else the radiation would mutate Spidey further and GA would have an eight foot spider with a human head as an opponent.

Hmmm... that's very familiar.....

Country
    Country Flag

Can I vote for the Green Arrow's goatee?

Real Coffee,

from a thousand deaths.
    (Die, Die)
    You're dying for a cup.

My Mood
    Gay

EdwardDean - Of course you can!!! If the goatee is what you think would win the battle, then by all means - VOTE away!

Brainslinger - good point about the atomic bomb further mutating Spidey. A very good point!

Maerlyn's Imp RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE is just really nice RUBE's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am pretty sure that a boxing glove would not fly straight no matter who aimed it and an arrow with a nuclear weapon is just wrong. Killing other people to kill Spidey would be stupid.

My Mood
    Gay

They're mini-atomic warheads - so the collateral damage would be minimum.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RUBE View Post
    I am pretty sure that a boxing glove would not fly straight no matter who aimed it and an arrow with a nuclear weapon is just wrong. Killing other people to kill Spidey would be stupid.
    And yet GA has those very arrows, and used the boxing glove arrow several times in the past. It has since become little more than an inside joke with comic readers to some of the silliness that DC had allowed to reign until the late 70's/early 80's.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast