Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New Batwoman Title - Batwoman in Detective Comics

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Default New Batwoman Title - Batwoman in Detective Comics

New Batwoman is Gay - DC Comics Confirms Rumors.

Batman Storyline Spoiler

Batwoman - who is described as a "lesbian socialite by night and a crime-fighter by later in the night" -

Batman Spoiler

Writer Greg Rucka told the Comic Book Resources website that the introduction of a lesbian character into the DC roster was "long overdue". "We have been waiting to unlock her," he said. "Yes, she's a lesbian. She's also a redhead. It is an element of her character. It is not her character".

He went on to dismiss fears of a possible backlash from fans. "If people are going to have problems with it, that's their issue", Rucka said. "That's certainly not mine."

Batwoman - whose alter-ego is Katherine "Kate" Kane - was introduced into the DC character stable in 1956 as a love interest for the Dark Knight. Her appearance helped stifle persisting rumours about Batman's own sexuality.

She was first 'outed' by her creators in 2006 as a former lover of Gotham City police detective Renee Montoya. She has made cameo appearances in the comic series, but her elevation to alpha superhero has been celebrated by gay rights groups.

The Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation praised DC for their efforts to diversify their characters.

Batman Spoiler
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the way they said, "yeah and she also has red hair, so what about it?"

Batman wil be back, just like Superman came back and like Steve Rogers/Captain America will be back.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

I think this is fantastic. From a comic book reader's point of view, I'm excited to be able to read about that aspect of a superhero's life, and as a human being I'm excited for the LGBT community, things like this are awesome.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

My Mood
    Gay

I've been hearing rumors about this for what seems like a year now. I hope they do a good job - most importantly, I hope they have good storylines. Gay or not, a comic has to be well written and have a good plot. We have to care about the character, not just their characteristics.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Gunslinger Apprentice The Cosmic Geek is on a distinguished road

I remember when they first introduced this Batwoman character. It was pretty big news since she is a lesbian. Some people were upset, some weren't. Me, I didn't mind, my sister is a lesbian so I thought it was pretty cool.

If anyone is interested in an excellent comic dealing with slice of life stories, check out Strangers in Paradise. Terry Moore writes some of the most convincing characters ever, one of which is a lesbian.

My Mood
    Gay

Oh, I love Strangers In Paradise. It's a great series. I also love Maggie and Hopey, from Love and Rockets.

And wow, I can only dream that the writing and the art on the new Batwoman is as good as either of those titles.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Cosmic Geek is on a distinguished road

A fellow Strangers fan? Cool. I love Moore's art. He captured the perfect facial expressions with his characters, something you really don't see enough in comics. Love his pencils and love how that book is inked, looks so beautiful.

My Mood
    Gay

Update, from what I can tell - Batwoman will not have her own title, but will be taking over/appearing in Detective Comics for a "at least" a 12 issue arc, starting with #854 ( I believe this is the June ).

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

shes not going to be his replacement permanently, the storyline Battle for the cowl will clear it up more, and anyway
    Spoiler:
    the omega beams smoked bruces corpse but sent him spiralling through the multiverse, at the end of final crisis he was living in a cave in prehistoric times
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

Righto!

Also, I suspect, if the 12 issues due well... spin-off title.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I for one am in the camp of sickos who hope batman gets recruited to be
    Spoiler:
    a black lantern
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

This issue just hit the stands.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that I know of its existence, I'll pick up a copy when I fetch my Locke & Key that also came out this week.

I hope the character and the storylines live up to everyone's expectations and sell well.

Thanks, Pam.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Gay

The issue is actually DETECTIVE COMICS # 854.

Info :
    Written by Greg Rucka
    Art by JH Williams III and Cully Hamner
    Cover by JH Williams III
    Variant Cover by JG Jones

"Elegy" part 1 of 4! A new era in the history of DETECTIVE COMICS begins as Batwoman is unleashed on Gotham City! Marked by the blood-red bat, Kate Kane is a soldier fighting her own private war – one that began years ago and haunts her every waking moment. With a script by Greg Rucka and breath-taking art by JH Williams III, you've never seen anything like this!

32pg. / Color / $3.99 US
    On Sale June 24, 2009
    Last edited by turtlex; 04-07-2010 at 03:08 AM.

My Mood
    Gay

Okay, I hate to go jumping the gun on this but I picked up 854 today and actually enjoyed it... go figure. The art/color is very vibrant and I like it alot. The writing is pretty good and honestly, I'm sucked into the story already and am looking forward to the next issue.

That's more than I can say for several of the Marvel Noir titles.

It's got some angst, and I love that in my comics.

My Mood
    Gay

Cool preview page from 854 :

Featuring Kate Kane and her father.

ETA: The first frame, she's showing her father a scar on her chest where she was stabbed in the heart and the voice bubble that belongs there is something along the lines of "I never forget what happened" or "how could I forget what happened" .. you get the idea. She's not flashing her father, in other words.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I bought it. I read it. I liked it.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Gay

Thanks, Patrick. I wasn't sure if it was just me.

Servant of Gan Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger will become famous soon enough Brainslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I haven't read it, but this guy gave it a thumbs up in his article. (It's pretty long, but the bat-stuff is near the start.) It seems the new Batman and Robin comics are getting positive reviews too.

My Mood
    Gay

Wow, you know, I'm a Marvel-Girl usually, but honestly - I am truly enjoying this new title... DC comes through.

And thanks for the link !!

My Mood
    Gay

Wow. Looks like 854 is a SELLOUT and they're going for a 2nd printing.

Here's the new cover :

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

What is the release date, Pam?

Cool cover, by the way.

My Mood
    Gay

Patrick - I'm not sure. They just announced it... like on Tuesday early. I got the info from JH Williams III's website.

I would guess, by the end of the month. I'm going to check with my comic guy on Friday to see if they are ordering or not.

And - hey, mister - make sure you board and bag that first printing you have now !!!

From J3's blog : I thought I’d add a little commentary to this. This cover design was literally at the last minute. We got the notice from DC Monday afternoon about going back to press and they wanted a new cover FAST! Like the very next morning fast. So the best solution was to come up with a simple design and add The Question as an additional point of interest. Since I had almost no time to get an image to Dave for him to have time to toy with it, we had to go with a wash and marker sketch look that Dave would colorize different parts of the drawing. I did the sketch art, scanned it, placed it into the blue circle and red lighting bolt design, then finished it up by adding the colored text. This then went off to Dave, and after discussing things with him a bit the next morning, it was done. The entire process was accomplished in roughly 6 hrs total. I’m happy with it even though I had no time to really do a tighter drawing. The looseness in combination with the simple graphic palette approach, working in tandem with the logo font style, looks classic and modern at the same time. A rush job, but a nice stylish one I think.

My Mood
    Gay

Well, if everything works out okay - I am now the very proud owner of an original piece of comic art!!!

Page 10 of issue 854 !!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations, Pam!

John

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast