Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees - The Thread in Perpetuity

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

With all due respect, the post-season is exactly WHEN you want the ability to perform theatrics, ala Aaron Boone, Bucky fucking Dent, Reggie and etc.

The fact that they have evidenced this ability NOW is (I think) very encouraging. They have a club-wide attitude that they will win any game.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

not saying it won't help then. logic dictates it would always help.

what i'm saying is, they would do best to avoid situations where they need to rely on late inning home runs because it could just as easily come back to haunt them as help them.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear what you are saying but have to respectfully dis-agree. Their late-inning prowess is a distinct advantage. I know what you mean but, with this team it is just what they need. A sort of swagger, ala 1998, we are NEVER out of it!!

know what I mean?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, So on the Eve of another Yankees vs The other guys series this weekend any predictions, thoughts or critique?

Just some thoughts but, I am cautiously opptomistic about Pettite. Last year he did a fade after the break and this year (at least so far) he continues to be a gamer. Even when he doesn't have his best "stuff" he has that Andy of old warrior thing going.

Love this guy Hairston. What a great addition!!!

We have to get A-Rod going. Anyone else curious why Tex bats 3 and Arod 4? shouldn't Joe switch em for awhile just to jump start things? While I'm on the subject, if there is anything to the "protection" theories in baseball, wouldn't it be wise to maybe drop Damon for Swisher in the order and so on? Mix em up a little more? Except for Cano. just leave him where he is. Just seems like the whole 1-9 strategy is very NL and very outdated in todays game. Especially with the Yankees who could give Pitchers panic attacks throughout the order, even when they are ALL not on fire. Just some idle thoughts for a non-gameday.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Isn't the #3 batter the teams best hitter! If so then Tex is where he belongs right now!

I too like Hairston - I am pulling for Andy - he is one of my fav Yankees. His w-l doesn;t look great but he is pitgching extremely well right now.

Looking forward to CC v. Beckett on Sunday night baseball! It could really paly intot he Cy Young!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Just seems like the whole 1-9 strategy is very NL and very outdated in todays game.
    on this point, i couldn't disagree more. the national league style has worked for so long and continues to work today because it is a proven system built on fundamental baseball on both offense and defense, rather than the american league style of putting all the eggs in one basket and hoping for more home runs than the opponent.

to say it's outdated, well, i'm not sure where that comes from.

look at the success the rays had last year. where did that come from? a team of young guys playing strong fundamental baseball and a solid pitching staff. joe maddon's style last year was extremely national league and it's what made the rays competitive.

this year, maddon abandoned that style and now tries to have the rays slug it out with the rest of the american league east. today the rays sit 10.5 games out of first in the last weeks of august.

so you tell me, which strategy works?

i have made this same point time and again in this thread and i guess once more won't kill me

come playoff time, i am not looking for the yankees to play home run derby every night. i'm not saying they don't have the lineup to do it, but it's an extremely risky strategy to employ night in and night out in a playoff series. it sure as hell seems like a long time to me since it actually worked in terms of getting the yankees to the world series and winning it all.

as for pettite, you all know how i feel. i will be happy with a good performance because it helps the team. nonetheless, he cheated. he knows he cheated. his "excuse" about it was the lamest and most insulting to the intelligence of the fans.

i gladly accept any contributions pettite and rodriguez make to the team. still, i'd be happier to see them go. rooting for proven cheaters doesn't sit right with me.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Isn't the #3 batter the teams best hitter! If so then Tex is where he belongs right now!

I too like Hairston - I am pulling for Andy - he is one of my fav Yankees. His w-l doesn;t look great but he is pitgching extremely well right now.

Looking forward to CC v. Beckett on Sunday night baseball! It could really paly intot he Cy Young!
    Actually, ARod is the better "Hitter". Typically ARod will sport a 300+ Avg while Tex will hit in the 270-290 range perhaps with more power. And given the way this season is unfolding Arod should be in the 3 hole with Tex batting cleanup. In the 3 spot ARod should see better pitches helping him to get his Avg up. At clean-up Tex will have even more RBI opportunities.

To Jayson: When I said NL I didn't clarify. What I meant by referring to the NL is the "Old Time" baseball mentality. I like building a run as much as the next guyand that ability is critical to a playoff winner. I meant that some of the old conventions need to be re-examined. Why does your worst hitter have to bat 9th? you only go through the 1-9 order once a game. Torre in 98 had 1-3 twice in the order if you recall.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post

Minor beef when you consider the way they are winning but, then everyone's a "manager" lol lol

2 of 3 from the Sox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man, we went from 0-8 to 6-9 in what seems like a hurry!!!!!!!

27 here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice MPatrick is on a distinguished road MPatrick's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tough loss last night, but it fits right in with what you are saying. They are NEVER out of it. That mentality has been sorely missing these last few years. To take a punch, get knocked down, and then come back anyway?

It's true that you want to try and avoid coming from behind, of course. But it's also great to know you have it in you. They may have fallen short last night, but I expect them to get right back up tonight and take it to them. The whole dugout, besides looking shocked at not winning, looked pissed.

Oh, and not only from 0-8 to 6-9 in a blink, but from 5.5 back of the Sux, err Sox, to taking a pretty commanding lead is sweet. Just have to keep it up.

If they keep playing this way, on this kind of pace, we could be looking at 102+ wins.

Here's to #27!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Bounce-back Ass-whooping last night and they're ahead right now 1-0. That's the ticket 2 outta every 3 will get them the division and the post-season
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I doubt anyone will agree but, I don't like Girardi as manager of the Yanks. He's a good guy and a very good manager just not a fit for the Yanks IMHO. He just seems to make too many "moves" for the sake of making a "move". My reasons for this opinion are too many to list but, why the Hell did he pull Burnett today? The guy was cruising with 12 KO's and he pulls him for the 7th. You at least could have gotten the 7th outta him maybe the 8th and its still a 3-2 game we could definitely have won.

He just always seems to be tinkering where no tinkering is needed. Maybe he read Bobby Valentines book or something? Like I said its just an overall feeling but I needed to get my rant on!! LOL LOL LOL

Oh well onto the next series!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Sometimes I don't like him too, but when the moves work, he does seem smarter!

My brother is right there with you though. He's always texting me, "Why would Girardi do that?" It's amazing how he can do so well in building a bullpen, and then he makes weird decisions.

Oh, and what's happened to Phil Hughes? He's hardly been used lately.

But really, minor nitpicking. On to face the other Sox. Hopefully they do better this time around. I really can't stand Ozzy G...just seems like such an a-hole.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MPatrick View Post
    Sometimes I don't like him too, but when the moves work, he does seem smarter!

My brother is right there with you though. He's always texting me, "Why would Girardi do that?" It's amazing how he can do so well in building a bullpen, and then he makes weird decisions.

Oh, and what's happened to Phil Hughes? He's hardly been used lately.

But really, minor nitpicking. On to face the other Sox. Hopefully they do better this time around. I really can't stand Ozzy G...just seems like such an a-hole.

Yeah, that's another thing what the hell with Hughes? I mean he seems to think that Phil is only capable of 3 outs. He brings him in with 2 out in the 7th then takes him out for Rivera with 2 out in the 8th. Whats up with that? My sentiments to your brother!!!!

I don't care for Guillen either but you gotta admit he makes for great TV lol lol lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

LOL, he certainly does. He's such a hot-head. Hopefully we treat them worse then the Red Sux did...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

OK fella's Magic Number for the division is 3, we just whooped on the Red Sux and the Playoffs are just around the bend........Lets hear some chatter out there!!!!!

P.S.

I think Hip Hip Jorge coulda been a contender!!!!!

LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok Folks........Number 27 here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!

This one should be for George!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

i've met mr. steinbrenner many times (i used to work for him). he really is one of the nicest and most generous people you'd ever want to meet.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jayson View Post
    i've met mr. steinbrenner many times (i used to work for him). he really is one of the nicest and most generous people you'd ever want to meet.
    Yes he is!!! Most folks don't realize how lucky we are to have him as the owner of the Yankees. Among all the owners he puts the money back into the team!!! That guy in Minnesota? The MLB disbursement goes into his pocket!!! I've met Mr. Stienbrenner as well (although not as intimately as working for him). My Brother in law's best friend was the interpeter for Hideki Irabu back in the day. I got to meet him twice, once at the stadium and once at a Diabetes Charity Golf Event (Which I played with Yogi in my six-some). I got the invite (Invite? $3000.00 a head LOL) through my old business partner Fred Mazzilli (Yep, Lee's brother) when he was in line to manage back in the 90's. I really hope they can get George one more title this year before he leaves us. Much as I hated his ass in the 70-80's, I love and appreciate him now!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, where are you guys? We're into the ALCS and ....zip... nothing!!!! I really like our chances so today I will have on my "Boston Sucks" T-Shirt, my Yankee jersey, and on my table, my Godzilla statue and my Nick Swisher "Yankee Gnome" in preperation for todays Game One!!!! C'mon folks!! Support your Yankees!!!! I think we should dedicate this one to George Stienbrenner!!! What do you think?

Go Yankees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice doh is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I'm with ya brother, I like the Yankees a lot. Have always been an A-Rod fan and still can't believe he was jobbed out of the MVP his rookie year by the hometown press.

I look for him to continue to deliver throughout the playoffs.

Am I the only one missing the pitch tracker TBS used in the DS?

i'm still here

i tend to wait to see how things turn out

yesterday was quite impressive

how did they win?

strong pitching, solid defense, and base hits.

in other words, like a national league team.

it was fun to watch the yankees just outwork the angels instead of beating their brains in with home runs

that they can do tonight

seriously, tonight would be a better night for that. burnett needs the mental support of security runs. if the yanks put up big numbers early, he will be comfortable and hopefully pitch well.

two more things about last night...

sabbathia is worth twice what they paid for him. that guy is just phehomenal.

i know i've said this before. still, rivera is the best closer ever (and he wears #42 so, yeah, he's special)

on with game two (weather permitting)

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

13 innings of weird baseball - bottom line is the yankees won so all is well in the Bronx. On to the Left Coast! :_)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Citizen of Gilead SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN has a spectacular aura about SpaceMaN's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

was this thread started so they'd win it all like ole Constant Writer did for the red sox?
    "I wish they'd just wipe out humanity and get it over with. It's the waiting I can't stand." -Fry
    "I know we can't all stay here forever, so I want to write my words on the face of today." -Blind Melon

today's game might be the most important

getting off to a good start was nice, but the yanks have won the first game and lost the series far too often for me to be too comfortable

today though...

if we go into their ballpark and take it to them and put them down 3-0, making every game after do or die for them, they will die once before they do four times in a row, especially with cc on the mound again tomorrow.

i'd like this series to be over tomorrow and let the phils and dodgers slug it out for seven games and get those arms nice and worn out.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with you dude, put 'em away in 4 or 5 and I'll feel better. Sat. was an amazing game to watch. I may have aged a whole year in 4 innings!!!!

Can't believe Arod is finally stepping up in Oct. the way he has. We need him to continue and together with the starters and bullpen we should be in good shape!!!!!!

Pie in the Bronx again on Sat. Tastes the best there LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 97 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast