Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 97 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 2421

Thread: Yankees - The Thread in Perpetuity

Gunslinger Apprentice Nick Stefanos will become famous soon enough Nick Stefanos's Avatar

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Kudos to Cashman. The Yankees acquired Brandon McCarthy (and cash) from AZ in exchange for Nuno. This season ain't over just yet.
    "Nothing surprises me anymore." - Walt Longmire

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not sure I'd give him kudos just yet. McCarthy has been terrible this year. 3-10 with a 5 ERA and that is pitching in the NL in a ballpark that is kind to pitchers. The only good news is that McCarthy has pitched well in the AL and Cashman is banking on him reverting to form.

I'm kind of bummed they designated Soriano though. I know he's been awful.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Gunslinger Apprentice Nick Stefanos will become famous soon enough Nick Stefanos's Avatar

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I'm not sure I'd give him kudos just yet. McCarthy has been terrible this year. 3-10 with a 5 ERA and that is pitching in the NL in a ballpark that is kind to pitchers. The only good news is that McCarthy has pitched well in the AL and Cashman is banking on him reverting to form.
    I agree, the jury is out on McCarthy but I'm glad Cashman decided to act now. I'm hoping the change of scenery for McCarthy helps him regain his previous form.

Also, I've had enough of Cervelli. You know I have no love for the PED users and his throw yesterday to lose the game just reinforces my dislike for the man. It's him we should have desginated, not Soriano.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Today's game proved two things to me.

1. The Yankees still need bullpen help. A 9-0 lead should never turn out to be a 9-7 victory.

2. Ron Darling is an idiot (though I admit, I already thought this). He was trying to troll the other announcers into criticizing the Yankees for possibly having Ellsbury steal a base when they were up 9-0. The 9-7 result shows what everybody should already know, no game is over until the 27th out is recorded. Until then you score as many runs as you damn well can.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stefanos View Post
    Today's game proved two things to me.

1. The Yankees still need bullpen help. A 9-0 lead should never turn out to be a 9-7 victory.

2. Ron Darling is an idiot (though I admit, I already thought this). He was trying to troll the other announcers into criticizing the Yankees for possibly having Ellsbury steal a base when they were up 9-0. The 9-7 result shows what everybody should already know, no game is over until the 27th out is recorded. Until then you score as many runs as you damn well can.
    I agree. No lead is ever safe. Especially early in the game. Games like this are so frustrating. Game after game we watch Yankees starters go out there and only get one or two runs of support. Often times pitching great and still losing. Today they finally get runs and Kuroda gives most of them back and forces us to use the bullpen.

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Figures it's Samardja who completes the sweep on us...
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Jeet, gets No. 3,400!!! Only 19 away from a tie with, Yaz!!!

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#elem=[object+Object]&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Player+hittin g&sectionType=sp&statType=hitting&page=1&ts=140469 5319427&split=&season=2014&game_type=%27R%27&playe rType=ALL&timeframe=&season_type=ALL&active_sw=&so rtColumn=h&sortOrder=%27desc%27&extended=0&league_ code=%27MLB%27
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Am I the only person that almost passed out when I heard about Tanaka?

Seems like there's nothing seriously wrong with his arm, but I'm going to be worried about it for a while. Without Tanaka the Yankees are a last place team.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Am I the only person that almost passed out when I heard about Tanaka?

Seems like there's nothing seriously wrong with his arm, but I'm going to be worried about it for a while. Without Tanaka the Yankees are a last place team.
    Not just you. My immediate reaction yesterday evening upon hearing Tanaka and MRI in the same sentence was "Well, this season is over."

Today I have more of a guarded optimism, at least until the MRI results are in but even losing him for a couple of weeks could have a terminal impact on the hopes for a postseason appearance.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Partial tear.

You will see the Yankees give him rest and see how it responds. They should do the Tommy John surgery tomorrow. I can't tell you how many times I've seen cases where teams subscribes rest and try to wait it out and all it does is delay the inevitable. These things don't heal themselves, they only get worse. I know it's a hard decision, but Tommy John surgery right now is the best decision for the future.

I tell ya' what, the Yankees can't catch a break the last few years. I know nobody is going to cry for them, but it's been tough lately.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Seaaon's over folks. Move along. Nothing to see here.

And I couldn't agree more about sending Tanaka to Dr. Andrews first thing tomorrow morning. He will not magically heal simply because we need him to. He's too important for the future to risk hurting him more for the present. It is a bitter pill to swallow having to possibly write off a season in July, but the money invested in Tanaka is more important than whatever remains of this season.

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice farewell performance from Jeter in the All Star Game. I shouldn't even acknowledge the "story" in the media that Wainwright gave Jeter a gift pitch. Maybe the media can acknowledge that Jeter can still hit like the Hall of Fame hitter he is.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wainwright is full of shit. Whether he was just kidding or not. Did he also throw Trout and Miggy gift pitches? He got lite up. Plain and simple. He should know better to even imply that he gave Jeter a gift.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wainwright is full of shit. Whether he was just kidding or not. Did he also throw Trout and Miggy gift pitches? He got lite up. Plain and simple. He should know better to even imply that he gave Jeter a gift.
    I didn't read the "after" article, but I did read a "before" where stated that he was looking forward to going up against, Jeet for the first time. He gave the impression he was going to go after him. If, he grooved anything it would have been pulled to left, not the classic inside out hit to RF. Plus as you say what would be his excuse for, Trout.

I believe he was still caught up in the moment and blurted out something he now regrets. The "Before" article I read (on the Official Yanks page) made it seem as he was absolutely giddy to be facing, Jeet and would relish the moment forever.

Enough about that, how about Jeet going 2-2 with a run scored and more important to him, a win for the AL? He's just amazing!!!

Edit: Oh, and replay showed he got, McCutcheon by a hair!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I didn't read the "after" article, but I did read a "before" where stated that he was looking forward to going up against, Jeet for the first time. He gave the impression he was going to go after him. If, he grooved anything it would have been pulled to left, not the classic inside out hit to RF. Plus as you say what would be his excuse for, Trout.

I believe he was still caught up in the moment and blurted out something he now regrets. The "Before" article I read (on the Official Yanks page) made it seem as he was absolutely giddy to be facing, Jeet and would relish the moment forever.

Enough about that, how about Jeet going 2-2 with a run scored and more important to him, a win for the AL? He's just amazing!!!

Edit: Oh, and replay showed he got, McCutcheon by a hair!!! LOL
    Yeah, he really is unbelievable. First pitch of the game and it finds him. I thought he was out too. Regardless, he showed he still has fire and that he can still make plays that people think he can't. As for the hits, it shouldn't surprise anybody. Jeter has always raised his game in big spots. Also, he's one of the Yankees' better hitters this year. I know that's not saying much, but he's been one of the most consistent hitters in the lineup all year.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I get "ESPN the Mag" delivered and not too many issues ago they explored "clutch" and post season hitting as it relates to, Jeter and MLB. Surprisingly, despite the tag line everyone uses, it's not that he raises his game so much as it is his consistency in the face of others trying to do exactly that, raise their game, that is his talent. I believe most of the articles are available online and if so, it's worth checking out. I think you would enjoy it. One of the famed Sabermetric guys was involved if I recall.

Not that he can't rise to a moment as few can, but read the article. You'll like it and be the wiser for reading it.

Spoiler:
    Not to suggest you are not "Wise" already.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, a mid-season review and advice...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/nyy/...&vkey=news_nyy
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Two weeks out from the trade deadline and in more desperate need of pitching than ever and here the Yankees find themselves with very little to offer potential sellers. They will need to get a third team in on any deal they could make so some prospects are going somewhere.

I do do not think the "magic" of Jeter's final season will be the one thing to put the Yankees into the playoffs. Ask Mariano Rivera if that works.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

After reading the post here I had to research. Here's an interesting article...

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article...620023#!bg6QLI

After more detail and reading this I have to say that, Wainright is a putz, but I still think, Jeter going to RF for the double belays, Wainrights claim. Maybe the putz was trying to make excuses for giving up 3 runs? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe the putz was trying to make excuses for giving up 3 runs? LOL
    Or maybe we, and by we I mean all baseball fans the media as well, could remember that the All Star Game is an exhibition game and only has a modicum of meaning because Bud Selig forced the determination of World Series home-field advantage upon it. Regardless of that, the game still means very little to fans, at least to this one.

When a game actually matters I will give more thought to whether or not a pitcher served one up to an opponent. I assure you that Wainwright will not be doing so when the Cardinals play meaningful games this September and October. Call him a putz if you will, I have no way to measure that one, but I can tell you that he is one of the two best pitchers in all of MLB right now.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Stefanos View Post
    Maybe the putz was trying to make excuses for giving up 3 runs? LOL
    Or maybe we, and by we I mean all baseball fans the media as well, could remember that the All Star Game is an exhibition game and only has a modicum of meaning because Bud Selig forced the determination of World Series home-field advantage upon it. Regardless of that, the game still means very little to fans, at least to this one.

When a game actually matters I will give more thought to whether or not a pitcher served one up to an opponent. I assure you that Wainwright will not be doing so when the Cardinals play meaningful games this September and October. Call him a putz if you will, I have no way to measure that one, but I can tell you that he is one of the two best pitchers in all of MLB right now.
    His ability, great as it is, and his personality are two different things. Just because he may personally be a "Putz" does not affect his talent on the field necessarily. It was a very foolish thing to say any way you look at it. He was pitching to a HOF no question about it. If he had that much respect he should have kept his mouth shut whatever had transpired. Personally, I do not believe he "grooved" anything to, Jeet.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

His ability, great as it is, and his personality are two different things. Just because he may personally be a "Putz" does not affect his talent on the field necessarily. It was a very foolish thing to say any way you look at it. He was pitching to a HOF no question about it. If he had that much respect he should have kept his mouth shut whatever had transpired. Personally, I do not believe he "grooved" anything to, Jeet.
    His ability, great as it is, is all I have to go by. I do not know Adam Wainwright personally, or Derek Jeter or any other MLB player for that matter. We can make whatever determinations we want based on our own perceptions of the things they say but does that really shed any actual insight on what these men are like as people?

If Wainwright really did serve one up to Jeter than he is the only one to know for sure and I do not think he should be trashed for speaking honestly about it. I am not a fan of telling any athlete to "keep his mouth shut" about anything that happens on the field. If they want to tell the truth about what they did on the field the fans are the richer for knowing it. If we have to hear David Ortiz rant like an enraged toddler every time he gets an intentional walk or a called third strike than I have no problem with a pitcher talking honestly about a pitch he threw in an exhibition game.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure I really get the point you are trying to make. It was "Jeter'" farewell All-star game and a chance for the league to pay tribute to his impact on the game. For, Wainwright to sully that in any way shape or form was a "Putz" move. It was not like an age old warrior was "grooving" a pitch to him for old times sake. The guy never faced him before, which tends to make me believe he was full of shit in his post game statements. The moment was "Historic" who the fuck is, Adam Wainwright (at this particular moment) to weigh in on such a thing? Maybe my typing is not eloquent, but why sully a historic moment for a guy who helped get you your current contract by playing as well as he has over the years and advancing MLB as, Derek Jeter has done? He made a mistake of huge impact and should be held accountable, no?

Should, Allie Reynolds have said "I grooved him a pitch" when he gave up Aarons' 715th? Or even suggested it? That would have been a "putz" statement, no?

And do not tell me that, Wainwright is the best in the NL or some such crap. If he was, he would not have given up 3 runs in the first freaking inning. He's a very good pitcher, but a lousy man of character IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Drunk
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure I really get the point you are trying to make. It was "Jeter'" farewell All-star game and a chance for the league to pay tribute to his impact on the game.
    No, it was the 2014 MLB All-Star Game which happened to be Derek Jeter's final All Star Game. Wainwright is hardly the first guy in MLB history to serve up an easy pitch for a retiring superstar and he will hardly be the last. If his crime is having the audacity to be honest then I will be the very last to condemn the man for it.

The moment was "Historic" who the fuck is, Adam Wainwright (at this particular moment) to weigh in on such a thing?
    Who the fuck is Adam Wainwright? He is the pitcher that threw the pitch and therefore is the only person qualified to speak on it afterwards.

Maybe my typing is not eloquent, but why sully a historic moment for a guy who helped get you your current contract by playing as well as he has over the years and advancing MLB as, Derek Jeter has done? He made a mistake of huge impact and should be held accountable, no?
    Eloquent or not, this statement is ridiculous. How specifically did Jeter's play help Wainwright get his current contract? It would be a tremendous stretch of logic to suggest Jeter had even an indirect impact on the contract of a current pitcher. To go further and suggest that Jeter is directly responsible and should be afforded special consideration as a result is ludicrous. I am rather curious about how much you actually know about Wainwright's contract as you seem to not know much about who he even is.

And do not tell me that, Wainwright is the best in the NL or some such crap. If he was, he would not have given up 3 runs in the first freaking inning. He's a very good pitcher, but a lousy man of character IMHO
    So we throw his stats for the last few years out the window because he gave up three runs in an inning in a fucking exhibition game? For fuck's sake, the game doesn't even count. What next, Trout is not the best player in the league because he does not hit enough home runs in batting practice?

PS. If there is any question in the Yankees' locker room about "who the fuck is Adam Wainwright" they should be directed at Carlos Beltran. Beltran and every last NY Mets' fan know EXACTLY who Wainwright is. He is the guy that froze Beltran on strike three to end the 2006 NLCS while Beltran stood there like a fucking amateur staring at the end of the season.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, you win. I submit to your opinion and lets move on.

C.C. is done for the season. Surgery on the knee. Big blow to the Yanks chances for the post season, but maybe some guys will really step it up!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 97 FirstFirst ... 6 46 54 55 56 57 58 66 ... LastLast