Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Yankees - The Thread in Perpetuity

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Yankees - The Thread in Perpetuity

With the proliferation and predisposition (for obvious reasons) of Boston Red Sux fans on this site, I thought it prudent to provide a thread where lurking Yankee fans can discuss the upcoming season from their standpoint.

So C'mon all you Yankee fans out there, it's OK to post here!!!!

Who else is excited by the prospects for the 2009 season (Lets leave the A-Rod story out of it)? Sabbathia, Jeter, Textiera, Rodriguez, Posada, Rivera, Joba and the boyz!! We're going for #27 this year!!!!

Side Note: No offense Boston Fans but we here don't value you opinion!!! LOL This is a "Fan" only thread!!!! So post with caution!!!

LONG LIVE AARON BOONE & BUCKY F**KING DENT!!!!!!
    Last edited by Merlin1958; 06-16-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I too am a lifelong Yankees fan (Mets too). The 77 and 78 teams are my childhood idols, and thanks to working for awhile for Mr. Steinbrenner I got to meet many of them. By the way, Steinbrenner is one of the nicest people I've ever met and exceptionally generous.

As for this season, I was looking forward to it, until a couple of days ago. It's kind of hard to leave the Rodriguez story completely aside from contemplating this season. Spring training is right here in my city (Tampa) and I can see it being a complete zoo this season with reporters who want to talk about nothing other than A-Rod. It will be a major distraction and I don't envy Girardi having to get the team to focus on the task at hand. I think it would be far better for the Yanks to find a way to cut their ties with A-Rod right now and save the non-cheating players from having to discuss their cheating teammate but that will never happen. They showed with Giambi and Pettite that cheaters are welcome in the Bronx.

All that aside, I think their chances for this year are very promising. Picking up Sabbathia and Burnett greatly improves the starting rotation, which was incredibly weak last year. Teixiera is one of the best power hitters in the game right now. Jeter will still be Jeter, which is to say great. I'm a little concerned about how much of Posada's game may have been lost to his injuries, but we shall see when they take the field. I'd also like to see some offensive consistency out of Robinson Cano. Some days the guy is the best hitting 2B in baseball, other days he couldn't hit the ball if it were on a tee.

My dad and brother and I have a standing agreement that we are going to back to NY if there is a subway series. I think every year is going to be 'the year' but this one looks exceptionally promising for now.

So let's go Yanks!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear ya. I prefer to look at the A-Rod story as a Texas story more than a Yankee one but, ur right it will be a distraction. Yankees (and especially George) have a history of giving players a second chance. george is great that way. I happen to think he has turned into one of the Best owners in Baseball. others scream about him spending money but, he puts those profits back into the TEAM unlike many other owners woh put that money in their pockets!!

I'm getting jazzed cause my son and I have a tradition (since moving to AZ in '05) of attending the opening day weekend!!! We're thinking of driving back this year and can't wait to see the new stadium!!! I was up last year in Sept also (in addition to April) to help close out the old stadium (what a shame!!). Looking forward to a NY Hot Dog, Knish and the Bleacher Creatures!!!

The staff is definitely greatly improved and I'm happy they were able to come to terms with Pettite. Winning should help to quiet the A-Rod uproar so April can't get here fast enough!!!!

I go back to "The Mick" and am a lifelong fan myself!! So many great memories but, yeah 77 & 78 were great. 1998 was the "Team of the Century" and probably one of, if not "THE" best of all time (No disrespect to '27 or '61)!!!

P.S. Now the "Beatles" I can get behind!!! lol lol That's a classic video when they stopped traffic in England by playing on the roof of Apple. Great moment in music history!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    With the proliferation and prediposition (for obvious reasons) of Boston Red Sox fans on this site, I thought it prudent to provide a thread where lurking Yankee fans can discuss the upcoming season from their standpoint.

Who else is excited by the prospects for the 2009 season (Lets leave the A-Rod story out of it)? Sabbathia, Jeter, Textiera, Rodriguez, Posada, Rivera, Joba and the boyz!! We're going for #27 this year!!!!

Side Note: No offense Boston Fans but we here don't value you opinion!!! LOL This is a "Fan" only thread!!!! So post with caution!!!

We'll leave your little thread here so we Red Sox fans can keep an eye on y'all.

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    With the proliferation and prediposition (for obvious reasons) of Boston Red Sox fans on this site, I thought it prudent to provide a thread where lurking Yankee fans can discuss the upcoming season from their standpoint.

We'll leave your little thread here so we Red Sox fans can keep an eye on y'all.

Condescending attitude from the fan with 3 (?) titles in like a 100 years!!!

LOL J/K thanks for suffering us!!!

LOL LOL

Here's to a Great Baseball season for all!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

I hear ya. I prefer to look at the A-Rod story as a Texas story more than a Yankee one but, ur right it will be a distraction.
    Definitely will haunt them a bit at the beginning of the season, but I have faith that someone with a strong leadership ethic like Girardi can get them past it and once they're through April, what happens on the field will be more important than what happened off of it.

I happen to think he has turned into one of the Best owners in Baseball. others scream about him spending money but, he puts those profits back into the TEAM unlike many other owners woh put that money in their pockets!!
    Agree completely on George. I went on a bit of a rant in the Sports thread when the Teixiera signing happened because I got sick of reading about how it wasn't "fair" for the Yankees to outspend everyone else. Firstly, it's George's money, he can do whatever he wants with it. It's not Steinbrenner's fault his team is in the world's biggest tv market and he can make more on selling tv rights than every other team combined. Secondly, the Rays had the second lowest payroll in baseball and made the World Series last year (and lost to a team with the 15th highest payroll) so it shows that money doesn't necessarily buy a championship.

I'm getting jazzed cause my son and I have a tradition (since moving to AZ in '05) of attending the opening day weekend!!! We're thinking of driving back this year and can't wait to see the new stadium!!! I was up last year in Sept also (in addition to April) to help close out the old stadium (what a shame!!). Looking forward to a NY Hot Dog, Knish and the Bleacher Creatures!!!
    I'd love to get a chance to catch a game in the new stadium as well. If/when you do go, be sure to take lots of pictures because I for one would love to see them. I have so many great memories of the old stadium, though probably not as many as you as you were there first.

I go back to "The Mick" and am a lifelong fan myself!! So many great memories but, yeah 77 & 78 were great. 1998 was the "Team of the Century" and probably one of, if not "THE" best of all time (No disrespect to '27 or '61)!!!
    I'd love to have a time machine and the opportunity to stage a series between the '27, '61, '78 and '98 teams. I'd put my money on '78. That pitching staff was like nothing I've seen before or since and when it was big game time, Reggie delivered. That team also had my two biggest heroes, Willie Randolph and Graig Nettles (I played 2B and 3B as a kid).

P.S. Now the "Beatles" I can get behind!!! lol lol That's a classic video when they stopped traffic in England by playing on the roof of Apple. Great moment in music history!!
    See, we can agree on music.
    I have the rooftop show on cd and dvd. I watch it all the time. George's green pants and fur coat make me smile every time, but not as much as that killer tone he gets out of the black Telecaster.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL J/K thanks for suffering us!!!

LOL LOL

Here's to a Great Baseball season for all!!

Agreed!

And it's all in jest for me (well mostly ) ...the rivalry that is. I don't take it seriously like some of them do. To me the rivalry is part of the fun.

This thread is probably about to be moved though to where the other sports threads are.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

I think it's four total in their history. Whenever Sox fans give me any lip, my response is always "talk to me after you win 22 more World Series titles." That usually stops the trash talk. It's my favorite rivalry in sports, but statistically speaking, we have been far and wide on the better end of it.

I drive past the spring training facility here in Tampa a lot and there are big signs on either side of it with all the years of the Yanks series wins. Makes me smile big big.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post

I think it's four total in their history. Whenever Sox fans give me any lip, my response is always "talk to me after you win 22 more World Series titles." That usually stops the trash talk. It's my favorite rivalry in sports, but statistically speaking, we have been far and wide on the better end of it.

I drive past the spring training facility here in Tampa a lot and there are big signs on either side of it with all the years of the Yanks series wins. Makes me smile big big.
    ...and where exactly is this place?

If you rescue me

...and where exactly is this place?
    What place, the spring training site? It's a few miles up the road from me. It's right next to the football stadium where the Bucs play (and where the Super Bowl was a few weeks ago). The baseball field has some architectural touches which make it look like the old Yankee stadium, only much smaller in scale. It's very cool looking and to anyone like me who misses the real Yankee stadium, it's very heart-warming.

Here are a few shots of it, including one of the signs I mentioned...

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!

*packs a bag and buys a ticket*

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice Pics Dude!!! Truth be told I never saw the complex like that before. Even though, a little trivia, my old business partner was Fred Mazzilli, Lee's brother who managed the TB Yanks for a while (he was supposed to be in line to replace Torre prior to Baltimore). I been to his house in Greenwhich (Way cool "Trophy" room) and got lots of memorabilia through Fred/Lee including playing Golf with Yogi Berra at a Diabetes Fundraiser!!!!

But I digress. Beatles and Yanks, do we need to find other common ground? lol lol J/K. But ur right it seems we can agree and sorry for the other, guess I took offense where none was intended. Could it be you and I are the lone Yankee fans here? (looks around) lol lol

Brice, I AM serious about the rivalry as my Boston Sucks!! T-shirt attests but I took it all in good sport with regard your post as well!!

On a side note. Part of me says "enough with the steriod shit already and lets get back to Baseball" but, on the other hand it doesn't seem fair to the HOF players and others who made it on their "God" given talent and not out of a jar. Its even more distressing in A-rod's case as he was a great ballplayer before 2001 and really didn't need that shit to shine.

Go Yanks!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

It's sad that i don't have a fucking clue about any of this.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

But I digress. Beatles and Yanks, do we need to find other common ground? lol lol J/K. But ur right it seems we can agree and sorry for the other, guess I took offense where none was intended. Could it be you and I are the lone Yankee fans here? (looks around) lol lol
    Past is past. I don't hold a grudge.

Also, I know there is at least one other Yankee fan as I know CRinVA is one of us. I suspect when he sees this thread he'll post his thoughts as well.

I agree that it's a bit more of a shame about A-Rod because of all the players who've been linked to the steroids, he's probably the one that could have been a Hall of Famer without them. I had so much hope that he would obliterate Bonds' "record" in the name of clean players, but I suppose he's as tainted as Bonds is. Looks like Hank Aaron is still the home run king amongst those who don't cheat.

So can Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame yet?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah really, gambling v. drug use. Go figure.

I think in some instances they just stick to a guy who's labeled a "prick" like Rose, Bonds and Cobb just cause they can. Don't know about Rose and Cobb so much but, everything you read says Bonds is a colossal one. lol lol However, perhaps in his case the drugs did it and in Cobb's he was just born that way!! lol.

Think Joba will emerge as an "Ace" in the rotation this year now that the "experiments" are over? He could be HUGE for the Yanks as a second "Stopper" after Sabbathia. Hope Mo develops a Change-up this year. Could you imagine how devestating that would be? lol
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose we'd have to ask Bonds' teammates back in Pittsburgh if he were an asshole before the juicing. As for Ty Cobb, everything I've ever heard says the guy was the biggest prick in the history of the universe.

I'm still not sure I see Joba as a top caliber starter. I know it's where he wants to be and where the front office wants him to be, but I think it's high time to start thinking seriously about the post Rivera era in the bullpen. With Joba's fastball, he could be the second coming of Rich Gossage. Rivera may very well go down in history as the greatest closer ever (he's certainly the best I've ever seen) but how much longer can he really do it? It's a position they will need to address in the next season or two, so sooner would be better than later.

I think they have a second ace starter after CC with Burnett. Those two had better be good for at least 15 wins apiece if the Yanks have any chance of doing anything this season. I'm also hoping to see Chien-Ming Wang bounce back from his injury and have a strong season. With Pettite as the fourth, that's a pretty good starting rotation right there and doesn't put pressure on Joba to turn into an ace starter. Then again, maybe he's just naturally gifted and he'll surprise me. It'd be a pleasant surprise as it would be great for the Yankees.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still not sure I see Joba as a top caliber starter. I know it's where he wants to be and where the front office wants him to be, but I think it's high time to start thinking seriously about the post Rivera era in the bullpen. With Joba's fastball, he could be the second coming of Rich Gossage. Rivera may very well go down in history as the greatest closer ever (he's certainly the best I've ever seen) but how much longer can he really do it? It's a position they will need to address in the next season or two, so sooner would be better than later.

I have to agree. I had a similar conversation with my Son concerning Joba. I LOVED him in that set-up role and saw him (as you do) as a potential replacement for Mo. Why break what isn't broken? But the front office as you said made the decision so we'll have to live with it. Hopefully, he will emerge as an Ace. He's got the stuff remains to see if he has the stamina and mental toughness.

I think they have a second ace starter after CC with Burnett. Those two had better be good for at least 15 wins apiece if the Yanks have any chance of doing anything this season. I'm also hoping to see Chien-Ming Wang bounce back from his injury and have a strong season. With Pettite as the fourth, that's a pretty good starting rotation right there and doesn't put pressure on Joba to turn into an ace starter. Then again, maybe he's just naturally gifted and he'll surprise me. It'd be a pleasant surprise as it would be great for the Yankees.

I like Burnett too just his propensity for injury worries me (I still haven't got over Fucking Pavano lol). I think Wang will be fine. He's got that stuff that gets better when he's tired throwing all those ground ball outs. Petitte I thought was a key in that he's a proven yankee winner in both the season and post and his experience should help the entire staff. They are just gonna have to limit his innings early on in deference to his age to avoid what happened last year. Girardi should have a good handle on that this year though.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

It's one reason I like Girardi as manager. As a former catcher, he knows exactly how to handle a pitching staff. For nostalgic reasons I wanted them to give the job to Mattingly, but I concede that Girardi was more qualified and ultimately the better choice. I just love Donny Baseball. Now there's a guy who didn't need steroids. He and Winfield made things interesting back in the days of the mediocre 80's Yankees. They may not have won many games, but at least they did it honestly.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's one reason I like Girardi as manager. As a former catcher, he knows exactly how to handle a pitching staff. For nostalgic reasons I wanted them to give the job to Mattingly, but I concede that Girardi was more qualified and ultimately the better choice. I just love Donny Baseball. Now there's a guy who didn't need steroids. He and Winfield made things interesting back in the days of the mediocre 80's Yankees. They may not have won many games, but at least they did it honestly.
    Yeah Donny Basebal was/is Da Man!!!

But if you HAD to replace Torre (which they did) I too think Girardi was the excellent choice. Former catcher (which I think is almost a prerequisite for a Mgr) Plus a former Yankee who played with a lotta those guys. He's a class act and has no trouble following another one (Torre).

Got a PM from CRinVa so he should be joining us soon. Yeah!! 3 Yankee fans!!!

Pitchers and Catchers report next week!!

Being in Tampa you'll have to keep us up-to-date on all the latest!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Being in Tampa you'll have to keep us up-to-date on all the latest!!
    I'm sure it will be a media madhouse around here bc of the A-Rod situation.

I will definitely keep you guys apprised of the latest stories out of the Yanks spring training complex. I'd like to try to get to a late spring training game to try and see CC pitch a few innings in pinstripes.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep I am a bonafide Yankee Fan and am here now! :-)

A few comments aws I am supposed to be working!

The Rotation!

Awesome with a couple of Lefties. I am really gald they got Pettitte back! Looking forward to watching them do what they do best. CC is an iron man, AJ is the strikeout king! Wong will be as strong as ever, the man gets more dribblers back to the mound than any I know! Pettitte will near 15 wins. Joba has no pressure so can sit back and do what he does best - throw the fireball! Looking forward to seeing him bring up the rear of the rotation. Oh and the Pen, Mariano is the man no matter what anyone sais "Enter the sandman!"

The Lineup

Dam near the best in baseball if you ask me. I think Cano's performance last year was an abberation. He will be a threat this year. Teixera in the lineup - simply Wow! I believe Jorge has the gumption to return as solid as ever! Jeter - nuf said! A-Rod - if he can perform through the controversy will be great. CF - my choice is gardner - he adds excitement and his bat came alive in September last eyar. If he gets on 1st you know he makes it to 2nd! No question. Nady is predictable, strong and consistent (Although I will miss Abreu). Matsui - silent but deadly - I hope he is back in form. The best guy at the plate with men in scoring position. Oh and Damon - I expect he will continue to be a success as the leadoff guy! Nice to have himn at bat with gardner batting 9th too!

Roids

Giambi got past it; Pettitte too! Can A-Rod - one hopes so. What really bugs me is this. Selig was contemplating a suspension - geesh I think the Player's Union and A-Rod's lawyers would have had a field day with this. Those test were only agreed to by the player's union back then as they were to be anonymous and were meant to "measure" whether or not MLB had a problem. An * on the stats! Whose to say that HOFs from the past didn't use artificial means to enhance their capabilities. Perhaps HGH wasn't around but methanphetamines were and there is NO WAY IN HELL to ever go back and see. I'd duess that not all HOFers are saints! Bottom line is there is random testing now and stiff penalties - in my book that should be enough! Personally I still love A-Rod. At least he came clean and it appears it was all while at texas! Yep he screwed up but I can see the pressure on him back then to perform what with the biggest contract ever! remember, "to err is human, to forgive devine!"

The new stadium

I've been a fan for 50 years and I only ever set foot in Yankee Stadium once. Took a day trip with my family that started at 4am and ended teh following day at 3am! It was wonderful. Sat in excellent seats (3rd base under the overhang) and waited out three rain delays (the tarp came out got put back and out and back .... I told my wife that "gee we drove all this way to eat hotdogs in Yankee Stadium." But the gods were with us and the sun came out and they played a game and it went 11 innings! the only sour note was they lost that game but me and my family (wife and 4 kids) had a blast! Now I am contemplating a trip to the new stadium! My son's girl friends dad is a huge fan and we are trying to put together a trip with a bunch of guys! I love going to the game. Been to Boston once as a kid (with my grandfather who was a Sox fan). Been to Royal Stadium a lot in the early '80s (the George Brett years) as I was stationed in Kansas City. I now live in south of Washington, DC. Been to many many Orioles - Yankees games at Camden Yards - a great place. Been to quite a few Nationals games in RFK stadium. Have not been to their new stadium yet but will get there this year as My wife's boss has season's tickets and she gets them occassiohnally.

Spring Training

R_of_G I am ever so jealous. My ultimate vacation is to spend a week at Spring Training. Maybe next year. My kids are now away at college and maybe I can make it happen. Just gotta pay tuition for theee kids and buy a wedding for the 4th! :-)

The Rivalry

For sure there are many more Red Sox fans here - partially due to an allegiance to Sai King - and I have actually had a few emoptional outbursts over comments. Brice made a comment once and I responded and me and him had a few words over private messaging - turned out to be no big deal - Hey mi amigo Brice how's it going - I know you are checking up on us! :-) I wear an official Dugout Jacket to work often and it amazes me how many snide comments I get from Sox fans! I never say anything derogatory to Sox fans when I see one wearing their teams colors proudly, but so many of them go out of their way to diss me and my team when I wear my jacket and or baseball cap! I just don't get it!

Final Comments

I need to get back to work!

Looking forward to keeping this thread alive and well as the season progresses! You know I am from NY State but have not lived there since the early '70s. Wish I lived there now - most cable companies include the YES Network as part of their basic offering. I cannot get it here at all. I subscribe to MLB.TV to watch the games. Kind of pisses off my wife as I spen a lot of time in front of the computer watching the games.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome CR!!!!!!

Too address some of your points.

Cano will be a key (especially since I like Melky in Center he just brings an "energy" when all's going well). Notice how Melky and Cano brought such spirit in 07? I think that chemistry is important and really transform an already potent lineup into an All Allstar one.

Camden Yards is a beautiful park. Balt. is after all home of the Babe. I'm a 49 year NYer, living in Az in Witness Protection!! lol (J/K actually "Empty Nest" syndrome my 2 kids attend (ed) ASU) As mentioned earlier I make a pilgrimage to the stadium every April and look forward to the new stadium this year.

As far as the drugs, you make an excellent point unfortunately. Remember "Ball Four"? And need I mention The Mick and The Babe's favorite off-field past-times? lol Still however the 'Roids seem to sting more. maybe it was the intent. I dunno. I'm tending to go the way my Son feels which is "ENOUGH" already, lets play ball.

I get the Directv MLB Extra Innings to watch my beloved Yanks although, I usually get screwed on the Saturday game (Blackouts/MLB Restrictions) I fight with DTV over that every year and usually get a credit against the package but rarely the Sat. Games. So I got XM for that and listen to them by the Pool (Ok usually "In" the pool by that time as it gets to 120 degrees here!!!! LOL but, its a dry heat LOL).

I know Tampa will be innundated with reporters this Spring but, I bet there will be a few items that escape their scrutiny!! R of G will then be on it!! lol

Lastly, just get a "Boston Sucks" or "Got Rings?" T-shirt and that should be enough for those pesky Sox fans. Like R of G said "Talk to me when you got 26 World Championships (22 to go) and 39 (?) Pennants!!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

I knew you'd be in here at some point CR.

I agree completely about Gardner. His time is now. He should be the everyday center fielder to start the season.

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA
    I never say anything derogatory to Sox fans when I see one wearing their teams colors proudly, but so many of them go out of their way to diss me and my team when I wear my jacket and or baseball cap! I just don't get it!
    For whatever reason, the Yankees are perceived as "the bad guys" in the drama that is Major League Baseball. It just makes me love them more. The Sox fans can call themselves "Red Sox nation" all they want, there is no American sports franchise more well-known around the world than the New York Yankees.

And I know it's a year off, but if you do plan on coming down for spring training next year, be sure to let me know. I'd gladly go to games with you and spend the afternoon talking Yanks and Sai King.

On a Yankees fan note, did either of you guys see the ESPN mini-series "The Bronx is Burning" about the 77 Yanks? I thought it was very well done and John Turturro was fantastic as Billy Martin. Definitely worth checking out if it's available on NetFlix.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post

The Rivalry

For sure there are many more Red Sox fans here - partially due to an allegiance to Sai King - and I have actually had a few emoptional outbursts over comments. Brice made a comment once and I responded and me and him had a few words over private messaging - turned out to be no big deal - Hey mi amigo Brice how's it going - I know you are checking up on us! :-) I wear an official Dugout Jacket to work often and it amazes me how many snide comments I get from Sox fans! I never say anything derogatory to Sox fans when I see one wearing their teams colors proudly, but so many of them go out of their way to diss me and my team when I wear my jacket and or baseball cap! I just don't get it!
    Hey, Bob! I'm good. I hope you are too. And yeah, to me the rivalry has always just been a playful sort of thing amongst the Yankees and Red Sox teams' fans. Some people are just assholes about it, well...because they are assholes. I've never really got it either...it's supposed to be fun. I'd guess the teams players and all probably think higher of each other (on both sides) than some of the "fans" think of the opposing teams "fans". Sadly, I must concede the red sox seem to have an overabundance of "fans" that are assholes.

If you rescue me

Sadly, I must concede the red sox seem to have an overabundance of "fans" that are assholes.
    In the interest of fairness and honesty, New York sports fandom certainly has a pretty sizable percentage of jerks as well. I'm all for good-natured trash talk, it helps keep people on their game as far as wit goes, but when people take it too far it gets kinda stupid. Much as we love our teams, it is still a game. That said, Red Sox suck.

Spoiler:
    Of course, they don't suck and that's what makes the rivalry fun with both teams being contenders.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 97 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast