Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 21st Century Breakdown: The Green Day Thread

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default 21st Century Breakdown: The Green Day Thread

So as you may have heard already, Green Day has announced their next album release for May 2009

From USA Today:

By Edna Gundersen, USA TODAY
    Green Day is on the verge of a 21st Century Breakdown. The band's eighth album, due in May, doesn't retreat from the seething invective of 2004's Bush-whacking American Idiot, which sold 5.8 million copies and transformed the Bay Area trio from punk brats to serious rockers.
    After Idiot's success, "we asked how much more ambitious can we be?" says singer/guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong. "We could take a sideways step or go back to our roots. We chose to move forward."

Expected to be one of 2009's blockbusters (bolstered by a summer tour), Breakdown addresses working-class struggles, internal demons, apathy and the fading American dream. "It's about reflecting what's been happening the past three years and putting it to melody with some bold statements."

The boldest may be March of the Dogs, which rails against religious hypocrisy. "I have nothing against religion," Armstrong says. "It's about preying on people's blind faith. I'm all for spirituality. There's nothing more spiritual than rock 'n' roll."

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

Wait Foxboro Hot Tubs doesnt count as a new album?
    but still
    YAAAAYYYY!!!!!
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Hooray Sugarpop for starting this thread!

I love Green Day, I listen to their songs virtually every day and in many occasions I play them on repeat for several mintues/hours.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

yay for the green day love!

where is gsd? has she heard yet?

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

She did! She sent me a text message about 2.5 minutes after I posted in here the other day! I'll let her know that you started this awesome thread so that she can come in here and post her little heart out.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Is Green Day any good? What kind of music do they play?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    yay for the green day love!

where is gsd? has she heard yet?
    Fudge yes she did! And I am (as always) uber excited. Good job on creating the thread though.

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    Wait Foxboro Hot Tubs doesnt count as a new album?
    but still
    YAAAAYYYY!!!!!
    Well, that was more of just a side project though.

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    She did! She sent me a text message about 2.5 minutes after I posted in here the other day! I'll let her know that you started this awesome thread so that she can come in here and post her little heart out.
    What can I say? I felt a disturbance in the Green Day force.

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Emo

Achin' to be Seymour_Glass is on a distinguished road Seymour_Glass's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    Poppity Punkity emo.
    Big town's got its losers, small town's got its vices...

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

some new stuff from EW.com

Nearly five years after the release of their 2004 blockbuster American Idiot—it sold some 12 million copies worldwide, and yielded five singles—the boys from Berkeley return this spring with their eighth studio album, 21st Century Breakdown (not including, lest we forget, a little 2007 side project). And now we have an official release date! It's May 15, though you can get lead single "Know Your Enemy" digitally sooner, on a soon-to-be-announced day in April.
    A few EW staffers were given a sneak peak last month (you can read about it here), and basically, it's not a huge departure for the band. Fans of Idiot will appreciate the trio's continued three-chord raging-against-the-machine and rock-opera flourishes, like dividing the album into three parts: "Heroes and Cons," "Charlatans and Saints," and "Horseshoes and Handgrenades."
    As we've reported, they're not the only returning late '90s/early '00s pop-punk icons returning this year (see No Doubt, Blink 182, et al). Which one has you feeling most pogo-y in your old Dickies, readers?

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Ahh! A week before my birthday!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

American Idiot heads to the stage.

this looks awesome.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

They better be coming to Omaha.
    I missed them by a week last time.

Like, I literally got into Green Day a week after they were here on their last tour.

When I was in middle school, I had a copy of Dookie on cassette that I listened through everyday for several months. I remember that the tape was blue...

That kind of sums up my feelings about the band- its mostly nostalgic for me and I don't really listen to most of the music today that I did when I was 13 or 14. Occasionally I listen to them because of the memories but they just didn't stick with me over the years the same way Weezer or the Smashing Pumpkins did.

On a side note, I thought Insomniac was a great punk album and demonstrated their roots were still intact after the major label deal. It didn't have the same mass appeal as Dookie due to its overtly angst ridden themes and thrashy arrangements, but I thought it was great. "No Pride" "Stuart and the Ave" and "Walking Contradiction" were all great in my opinion.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just finished buying my tickets for the September 10th show!!!

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

i hate you. with a firey passion that will remain unquenched until you also buy me a ticket.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    i hate you. with a firey passion that will remain unquenched until you also buy me a ticket.
    Oh, doesn't she have to buy your plane ticket there and back too?

...and I need the same.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post
    Oh, doesn't she have to buy your plane ticket there and back too?

...and I need the same.
    oh, i thought that was implied. if i have to go right out and say it...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to see Green Day tonight at a concert that was just announced yesterday.

This is the venue: Fox Theater in Oakland

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

YAY! Thanks for the extra ticket, Patrick. See you in a few hours!

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Have fun guys.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, man.

See you there, Sarah!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome! I hope y'all have a great time.

If you rescue me

they are.

i already have pictures.

^_^

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*jealous as hell**

* of you and them

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast