Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Favorite artist/artwork

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    It's so much better seeing them in person.
    Indeed it is. The last time we were in NYC we went to the MoMA and Dali's Persistence of Memory is there. I couldn't believe how small it was. I always thought it was much bigger than it actually is. Seeing how small it was only made it cooler.
    Definitely. It adds another whole level of appreciation.
    I also loved all the gigantic ones there like The Hallucinogenic Toreador, or Galacidalacidesoxiribunucleicacid. I had no idea those were as large as they are. I have a smaller print of the second one hanging on my wall but it just doesn't do it justice.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know exactly how you guys feel. The past week I saw genuine Dalis, Picassos, Rembrandts, and several other "masters". By and far I much prefered seeing the Shotwell paintings more than the others.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

My favorite artist? Easy......Maxfield Parrish hands down.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

well... i'm an art fan of all types, i like surrealism of dali. the pop art of roy lichtenstein, andy warhol, and sculptor george segal to name a few.

more modern artists - i've always liked patick nagel...which i own one original ....

and of course i love caniglia... which i own one signed print...

and these three originals...

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

This one is breathtaking:

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I forgot about Patrick Nagel.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Mr. Unlucky educatedlady will become famous soon enough educatedlady's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

That Nagel picture reminds me of the cover of Rio from Duran Duran.

Country
    Country Flag

I just got a book that I ordered of Shotwell's work through Amazon and damn if the book wasn't hand signed by Shotwell himself.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by educatedlady View Post
    That Nagel picture reminds me of the cover of Rio from Duran Duran.

ha ha - you mean this one?

yeah, the nagel is the one most expensive item in all my book and art collection.

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

That's the one. Is it the same artist?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

yep,same artist, nagel was the artist of the 80's...you couldn't walk into hair stylist shop without seeing a poster of his work on the wall.
    that's one of his catalogs on the table.
    it lists my painting on page 70. unlike the signed prints so commonly seen that sale for hundreds, the original paintings usually sale for 12 to 36 grand. this one is about a mid level appraisal.i've had it for about 8 years, and i've actually been thinking about purchasing another one i know of.

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool. It is nice work.

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I could afford to buy an original. Like you said Sir Boomme, they range in the ten-twenty thousands. I am greatly enjoying the book though. I get to see so many works and have found that one or two works that I enjoyed over the years turn out to be by the same artist. Holy co-ink-e-dinks Batman!

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have alot of artists that I like, but more that I like random pieces from. Like this from Paul Ranson:

On that ominous tract Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I like some of Mark Ryden's stuff.

He has some creepy weird ones that I don't like, too bloody, but the ones like this one have just the right amount of oddness that makes me feel spooky without seeing any gore.

Last edited by Whidden; 02-21-2009 at 05:12 AM. Reason: changed Mike to Mark

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i think you mean mark ryden... and i too like his paintings a lot...a very weird surrealism with just the right amount of twisted humor thrown in.... and a very slick painting style.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

That's awesome, I'd not seen his work before

On that ominous tract Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden will become famous soon enough Whidden's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, sorry, meant Mark. I edited the post up top.

I think I like his art because it just looks odd, and it looks creepy, but also he adds all kind of little mysteries in the paintings that make me scratch my head, thinking "what the hell?!?!"

Like that one up top, the chipmunk headed yellow chick has her left eye all big and her other eye small, and the deer headed red chick has her right eye big and the other one small.

What's it mean? I have no clue. And they all have triangle shapes on the dresses, some upside down, some not, some with a line in them.

A lot of his paintings have trees in them, one had a baby being born or still hooked up to a tree. I found that one disturbing.

I like about 25% of what he does, the rest I'm too sqeamish, the imagery gives me a headache.

I think he read Dark Tower though, because I found one of Shardik (not really, ha ha), and there is even a dark tower rose near tower like tree stump.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Thanks for posting some of his stuff. I looked him up the other night after I saw that first picture. He's definitely got some interesting pieces.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow! Yeah, right on with the creepiness! I bet he'd do an amazing Charlie The Choo Choo!

I just discovered Krista Huot the other day. She's got some beautiful pieces.
    My favorite is Snowfall Over Poppies (which is now my new av)

and some others:
    Storytelling

Oleander

Country
    Country Flag

It's peaceful.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Those are really cool Heather. I will have to check out more of her stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Those are really cool Heather. I will have to check out more of her stuff.
    Here's her website http://www.kristahuot.com/
    She's got a bunch of artwork up there.
    I really, really want to get a print of that Snowfall one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast