Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Novella Ur available on Kindle and for download

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder how long this will be. It seems that lately anything longer than a few pages is being called a novella, but to me a novella is a short novel, like The Body or The Langoliers. Those were novellas.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The file should be available for download (apparently not just Kindle) on 2/24:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RF3U9K/

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess the next question is can you download the story and print it without a Kindle?
    Geoff

Country
    Country Flag

CNET says Scribner may publish the physical book:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10159324-1.html

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I guess the next question is can you download the story and print it without a Kindle?
    Yes. (It may not be legal)

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Message from Ms. Mod on the SKMB
    Steve just called in and this may help ease some of your disappointment. He told me that it was put in the contract that the story will be available for download (but it's not up yet and I don't know if it will be simultaneous with the Kindle release in about a month) through the Kindle site. As soon as I have more details, I'll get them posted.
    Looks like King plans on making sure it is legally available. Thank goodness for that. I was pretty miffed thinking I would "need" a Kindle just for one story...(not that I would buy one).
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Just say no.....to ebooks
    Sloth Love Chunk

She gave me a pen. Ves'Ka Gan is on a distinguished road Ves'Ka Gan's Avatar

My Mood
    Sneaky
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally agree. Call me a tree killing traditionalist, but nothing beats a solid, paper book. And nothing ever will!
    YOU MUST CHILL. I HAVE HIDDEN YOUR KEYS.

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Download-able, yes - but if the Kindle owners have to pay for it, my guess is that us regular folks will, too.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

SK has mentioned his love for his Kindle in a few of his Pop of King columns, so this isn't a total surprise. I'm glad we'll be able to download it without buying one of those things though. As discussed upthread, the $400 price tag is not at all attractive.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

eBooks suck. Hard or soft physical copy is the way to go, or audio. I will wait however long I have to until this new story is released in a real format.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Is the Kindle a big thing in the USA?
    I mean, obviously among the people which can afford it...
    Its starting to catch on at the university I go to. In fact, you can borrow them from the library like you would a book, but the data is not transferable and that goes for anything you download.

One of the cool things about it is that you can download the New York times free via wi-fi. Its a lot less bulkier than a physical newspaper and I think it has the same content instead of the stripped down version that's available online.

Its ahead of its time and its not something you see all over the place, but I think it will become more popular for better or worst.

This short story actually sounds very interesting. We get in all sorts of debates at school about the loss of the written word...

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Yes. (It may not be legal)
    if it is like the plant download...you could legally print one copy for every electronic copy you paid for...

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I will be the only one to say anything good about the kindle. I would not have bought one, but my Mom (after seeing it on Oprah) got me one for christmas and I actually love it. I read Brisinger on it, it was easy on the eyes and the hand and my first edition is still mint. I still want to own the book and will still read a lot of actual books but I will definately use the kindle (next up The Story of Edgar Sawtelle, keeping my 1st edition unread)

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for that feedback, Dave. So, are you saying it does not feel like reading a computer screen?

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Thanks for that feedback, Dave. So, are you saying it does not feel like reading a computer screen?
    No definately not, the screen is very readable. Its just so light and easy to hold, plus the idea of having so many books with you is pretty neat.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    The screen is very readable and attempts to emulate paper unlike a normal LCD screen. I was extremely skeptical at the beginning, but its actually pretty cool and it is neat to be able to have so many books with you at once. I actually lugged two messenger bags full of books and a regular backpack to the library to work on some papers- not easy. My major thing about the digitization of texts is that I like to annotate and the marginalia software just isn't good enough for me yet. Fiction and newspapers is good on the Kindle, but the academic books in the codex form are still a necessity for me...though the idea of being able to have hundreds of them on the same drive is appealing sometimes.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I'll wait for a hard-copy version. I don't do e-books.

John
    I'm with you John.

I am not a e-book fan.

If it is offered for download with print capabilities I'll buy in.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Here's cellphone video from the reading: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTBxqjGm7fk"]YouTube - Stephen King reading "Ur" from his Kindle 2[/ame]

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Bev, here's another one:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoFwm-apl90&fmt=18&"]YouTube - Horror Master Stephen King Reads "Ur" on an Amazon Kindle 2[/ame]

Country
    Country Flag

This should make a future short fiction collection. King seems to still be on that short fiction kick he described in the intro to Just After Sunset. As much as I'd like to read a new story, I doubt I'll be downloading it from Amazon on 2/24, even if it's just three bucks. I don't want to contribute to the demise of the printed page, I'm a book collector for god's sake!

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Its an interesting discussion for sure. I think the small press world will undoubtedly save the printed book, if nothing else - for collectors. While the eBook offers a continued diversification of available authors. They are so much cheaper to release, it would make up and coming authors less of a risk to publish, and could be a good thing for "books" in general.

I'm divided. I love printed books, but see the future being ebooks. That said, I can't read a PDF on the computer. This kindle, with the unique screen really intrigues me. I would never stop collecting books, but for reading copies, magazine and newspaper subscriptions, this seems like a great idea.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

An Amazon official estimates that Ur would run about 100 traditional print pages, calling it a more of a novella than a story.

Country
    Country Flag

Great news on the length. That's more of a novella than some of the others King recently published that were billed as novellas (technically novelettes, probably). A new short fiction collection can't be that far behind. After all, only six years passed between his latest two.

Oh, I think we are a long way away from a new short fiction collection. Many years.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast