Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Money talks (all things money and recession related)

Gunslinger Apprentice Dave! is on a distinguished road Dave!'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't agree with it. either. I live in rural NC, where the communities, and even the nearest city (Winston-Salem, grown by mainly the success of RJ Reynolds) were established, built, funded, and grown by the tobacco industry. I know to each his own, and I do believe that even despite the health risks, it is still a personal decision for each individual.
    But this, to me, seems to be furthering the attempts and campaign to rid the country of tobacco use. Even in this area, where anti-tobacco sentiment did not have a warm welcome, most places are smoke and tobacco-free. Even most factories now are tobacco free. All health insurance carriers here now have a discounted premium if you certify that you are a non-user. I feel that they think that if they tax the shit out of it then it would deter more people from using it. Which, will probably be the case. But those users that are either totally addicted, or those who choose the personal satisfaction of it, will continue to buy it regardless if it cost 50 bucks more a pound. As long as their financial status still allowed them the money for it. Some would regardless and let other things fall to the wayside. I know people who cannot afford their homes, cars, or gas to go places, but still get their carton a week. So a further deterrent plus more income for the govt. I'm sure they see it as a win-win situation.
    Because of you I'm Alive. For you I'm awake-Godsmack

What shall a man have if he gain the entire world but lose his own soul?-Book of Mark

I will fear no evil. Cuz I'm the baddest muthafucker in the valley-Jarhead

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Soon it will be cheaper and just as legal to smoke something else.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice ClicheGuevara is on a distinguished road ClicheGuevara's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It already is here . . . but yeah, this bill is suppose to pay for children's health care. . and the number one health problem facing kids today is obesity. . So I say we tax candy and soda and fast food while we're at it. . Hell let's just tax corn syrup.

kidding of course. .

Beauty Effulgent KaLikeAWheel is on a distinguished road KaLikeAWheel's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ClicheGuevara View Post
    It already is here . . . but yeah, this bill is suppose to pay for children's health care. . and the number one health problem facing kids today is obesity. . So I say we tax candy and soda and fast food while we're at it. . Hell let's just tax corn syrup.

kidding of course. .

You may be kidding, but I've actually heard ideas like this put forth by doctors and such on talk radio. Soon they will tax everything that's bad for us, which by my count is about 99% of the stuff we eat, drink and are exposed to. Bastards.

As for the money thing, I work in the medical field, so I feel relatively safe as things go. However, five years ago I went from respiratory therapy, which is totally necessary (who doesn't like to breathe, am I right?), to doing sleep studies, which a lot of people think of as not-so-necessary (not true, but I won't get into that here), and our waiting list has gone from 4 months to about 3 1/2 weeks. A lot of the reason for the change is that a lot of people have lost jobs and, with it, insurance.

Also, I just had to buy a new car so I'm doing my part for the economy. You're welcome.

Donna

"What can I tell you, baby? I've always been bad."--Spike

Gunslinger Apprentice Dave! is on a distinguished road Dave!'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

so when they deem something "bad" it will get taxed under that thought. So what happens when they deem something then "good" that previously had been given the "bad" nameplate? Such as eggs? They were good, then wait! Nope, they are bad, too much cholesterol. No, wait, we think they are good again now. Will the taxes be applied, then repealed?
    Of course, I'm joking, but it is a good question...(and just had an egg sammich, too.) *rubs tummy while hearing arteries harden.

Here is a work/economy thingy for yall...
    I work at a place that manufactures ATM's, security boxes, safes, ect. They moved a lot of equipment down from Ohio, hired people, and tooled up for a huge expansion. Ok, sounds normal enough. Come to find out, the majority of the investment was based on a HUGE order from Chase Bank. We were working overtime (50-70 hrs a week) and suddenly it stopped. We are working 40 now, and finding things to do. I have learned that the order was based upon a "verbal quote/ purchase agreement/inquiry" between the powers that be and the bank. Well, correct me if I'm wrong here...isn't Chase one of the banks in peril right now? Almost bankrupt? Now we are waiting for a written order and agreement from them and they are not in a "financial and infrastructure" position to give one right now. Hmm... me thinks someone made a bad call somewhere and put the proverbial cart before the horse.
    "Hey! I know! Let's hire 50 people, invest a butt-load of cash, add onto our facility, and start making product for the order which we don't technically have right yet..."
    "Hey sounds like a fabulous plan! Somebody get this man a bonus! And some extra vacation time to spend it during!"

Freakin' A.
    Because of you I'm Alive. For you I'm awake-Godsmack

What shall a man have if he gain the entire world but lose his own soul?-Book of Mark

I will fear no evil. Cuz I'm the baddest muthafucker in the valley-Jarhead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2