Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Significant other's response to collecting?

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

My girlfriend supports my collecting habit - she loves buying and reading books as much as I do. She also understands the fun in collecting special editions, various versions of the same title et cetera. But she would never spend as much on a single book as I would. She also does not know exactly how much I spent on my collection (actually - I don't, either). But as long as I pay for the books myself and I still have enough left to pay my part in our household, there is no problem (although she would probably like me to save more - she has about six times as much $$ in her savings account as I have!)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I bough my wife a Kindle and downloaded 2,600 books for her. That should keep her quiet for a bit!

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Mr. Rabbit Trick, you win the best husband ever award. How awesome!
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My girlfriend doesn't really know how much do I spend on books, but she knew from the very first moment of our relationship that she'll always have to deal with:

My soccer team.
    My book collection
    My computer

And even when these three things, she agrees that I'm a pretty simply guy to deal with.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My wife tolerates it with a shoulder shrug and an eye roll. She does not even try to fathom why i have over 100 sl of the dark tower series.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

None of those happen to be # 32, # 306, or # 67 do they?

AKC

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

She shakes her head a lot. Then goes and buys clothes.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

My wife doesnt know how much the S\L books are worth. She is getting suspicious everytime a box comes from David at Betts Books. I keep telling her that David is a family man and i am trying to support his business by buying a few books each month, and he only sells me the books when they are on sale! i dont think any sane person would believe that anyone would by a $6.95 book for $800. I told her that once and she just laughed and said nobody is that crazy to pay that much for a book. I had to change my middle name to "crazy".

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by avidkingcollector View Post
    None of those happen to be # 32, # 306, or # 67 do they?

AKC
    I dont think so but i can look

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post
    My wife tolerates it with a shoulder shrug and an eye roll. She does not even try to fathom why i have over 100 sl of the dark tower series.
    Holy moly! That is a staggering figure.

So now I have to ask, but please don't feel any pressure to answer if you don't want to...

How many S/L's do you have of each of the seven Dark Tower books?

Again, no worries if you'd rather not say.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I caught a little grief today because of today's S & S S/L, but add that to everything we've spent this year..... Shit!
    I'd told her I would take it easy next year..... Ha Ha fat chance. DT 4.5 comes out in february? My only saving grace is the 1st Ed. Stand she had signed at the Va. Mason event this year. Secretly, I think she really enjoys my hobby.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    I caught a little grief today because of today's S & S S/L, but add that to everything we've spent this year..... Shit!
    For the sake of harmony in your relationship, please send me the book and I'll be happy to reimburse you fully for your expenses.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

To allow myself a little breathing space, I have indulged my wife with her Barbie Doll collection, and got her a very limited edition doll for Christmas. I think $300 for a doll allows me a nice book or two huh? She should love the surprice next month...

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    For the sake of harmony in your relationship, please send me the book and I'll be happy to reimburse you fully for your expenses.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My husband makes the money for the household, so I always defer to him when it comes to spending. I have always been acutely aware of my spending habits (while I was in the military I could tell you on a daily basis how much money I had in my checking account, including outstanding checks), so it has been a rocky tranistion to defer to someone else on money matters.

He fully trusts me when it comes to spending, mostly cause I am a major tight ass about it. Our house is still not fully furnished (8 years later) cause I hate how much money it costs to do so (and the quality of the goods is so bad these days). I think I have spent maybe 50$ on clothes/shoes this year... wait that would be 90$ due to the 40$ pair of scuba shoes I got for when we went to Discovery Cove in September. So when I ask him for the money to buy a 1/1 I really want, that isn't the latest one, he's says "sure". He loves books just as much as I do, and since I don't get into the idea of having 1 of ever edition of every book out there, that is not an issue either.

There is one thing he has learned, that is to not buy me the books, since there are so many fakes (sigs) and conditions (1/1 vs. 1/13) that goes into getting the book I really want he has learned to just let me find the books I want. He does know I drool over a The Stand S/L, but we are both in a agreement that it is so much money for just one book that that book is one that will be a way future purchase... like when we win the lottery.

I don't think he likes how much time I spend sometimes doing the research and being on this forum, but he tolerates it fine, as long as the house gets cleaned, the dog gets taken care of and the food gets made.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I mentioned to my wife that the 11/22/63 S/L was going to be available on Tuesday, and that it might make for a nice Christmas present for a certain someone. Between dealing with a crying baby, a sick kid, and a broken website, I don't think she'll ever forgive me for wasting her entire morning.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you got your book you don't need forgiveness.

J/k

... Maybe
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

She was upset because after wasting two hours of her life I was able to order the book in about two seconds by using the link provided here.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Understandably so.

I was just playing around.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, but now she has the opportunity to spend two minutes at any convenient time entering a lottery to win the purchasing rights for a copy! Hmmmm, not sure you'll score points telling her that.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    My wife doesnt know how much the S\L books are worth. She is getting suspicious everytime a box comes from David at Betts Books. I keep telling her that David is a family man and i am trying to support his business by buying a few books each month, and he only sells me the books when they are on sale! i dont think any sane person would believe that anyone would by a $6.95 book for $800. I told her that once and she just laughed and said nobody is that crazy to pay that much for a book. I had to change my middle name to "crazy".
    Glad I can be of service :-)

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I gotta run to bed as I start my other job in just a couple hours....I have a long story to tell here, but suffice it to say that I "barely" crossed a dangerous bridge some years ago with my wife....see I started a collection...at my office in NYC....I made good $$ then and the $$ went unnoticed. Then I dipped into my IRA (so stupid I was) to buy a complete DT set...slowly my collection built to over $20,000, then $30,000 and still my wife had no clue I was collecting King. I knew I was in trouble all along (SHAME on me!) but I was scared....finally I confessed...we had a real calling out that day. Today, she is supportive of Betts (well it does help to pay some bills) but the whole collecting mentality escapes her.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"... finally I confessed ..."

Whew! I can only imagine that conversation, lol.

I try to be honest with my girlfriend about my obsession/hobby (hobby just seems so wrong a word when it's an everyday thing, lol), and every little Stephen King thing I do, she's with me 100% of the way, so ... even if I wanted to, I couldn't hide anything, lol.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a real appreciation for people with drinking, gambling etc. problems! This collecting stuff is really truly like an addiction to many people...you get so caught up in it at times. I cannot tell you how much work time I "wasted (not the right term)" over the last 20 years surfing/researching for that next book in my collection. Good thing I was the "boss" for most of those years. Also, somehow by now owning Betts, I have legitimized my collection both to myself and to my wife. She "gets" that connection and that my personal collection stands as a possible "inventory reserve" for Betts should I ever need it. And when I finally do "liquidate" my personal collection [shudders at the thought, but recognized at present his 3 children do not share his passion] I have the PERFECT medium for selling...with no consignment fees!!! LOL

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing that, Wiz. I get your meaning as well. Hope you never have to sell. Thinking of you, Brother!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast