Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 555 of 972 FirstFirst ... 55 455 505 545 553 554 555 556 557 565 605 655 ... LastLast
Results 13,851 to 13,875 of 24289

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny007 View Post
    Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of the increased "whoring" of SK when it comes to collectibles? I mean there are books published that are anniversary books, anniversary of anniversary books, etc. Most copies are signed only (except for a couple) by the artist(s), the artist's wife, the mistress of the artist or the mistress the wife and artist. Tabitha King gets an S/L. A recent ad showed a new 'Salem's Lot limited (seems like a numbered AND a lettered version) but not signed by SK. What's new besides the art? Is there no other way to showcase the nice art? Personally, a book that contains 95% of the same content isn't a real SK collectible. Sorry for venting. I'm probably in the minority here but this practice is getting old -- IMO.

John
    100% agree. I was floored when Joe Hill started getting the anniversary treatment too.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I can see your point. For me, I like the new editions and presentation. I don't know if they will appreciate in value....probably not( for years and years anyway). There is some overkill with PS and CD both doing the same editions. I don't understand the lettered CD books with no King signature. I started collecting CD books a 6-7 years ago, as I had a truckload of well worn paper backs that I was constantly giving away to friends, and then replacing, and a bunch of nice "1st editions " that I had bought online not knowing what I was doing, that turned out to be a combination of BCE and not 1sts. I liked having a fresh, well presented keeper/display copy. The only other positive I can think of, is that in this digital age, I'm glad to see there are still some publishers operating, and that they are independent to Amazon etc. I would be happy if someone just published one or two gift/signed/lettered a year and went through the whole catalogue. I've also found the constant Remarque, art folio, remarqued art folio from CD expensive and tiresome. I've stuck with book Remarque for my AE, bought the folio, but can't see another $149USD for a remarqued folio(?) and yet another 6 month wait for them to arrive after the standard folio has been delivered. It sends me around the loop.
    For me, the signed ltd etc are generally out of my range on release. I'm appreciative of the opportunity to have a nice, semi collectable copy with nice slipcase,art etc. it just gets over the top at times.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Your point is well-stated, Bunyip. But the only way this will stop is if we, the buyers, stop buying. And I'm not being preachy as I am as guilty as anyone about buying these. Although I don't buy the Chadbourne drawings at $150 a pop.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

All the offerings don't bother me too much, except that eventually I get confused about what's out there and whether I've actually ordered what I do want. There is much available that I don't purchase (after all, I'm the sole collector who doesn't own CREEPSHOW), but I'm glad the products and options are out there for those who want them.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip will become famous soon enough Bunyip's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    All the offerings don't bother me too much, except that eventually I get confused about what's out there and whether I've actually ordered what I do want. There is much available that I don't purchase (after all, I'm the sole collector who doesn't own CREEPSHOW), but I'm glad the products and options are out there for those who want them.
    Your not Robinson Crusoe there mate, I'm ashamed to admit that I don't own a copy of Creepshow either. I'm very ashamed. A good example for me is the truckload of different Colorado Kid variants. I was looking the other day at a set online. I looked it up on Tomas site. I couldn't work out which edition I was looking at, the seller wasn't sure either. I'm always excited when something King comes out,even the new versions of the classics with an extra " unreleased" paragraph added that he wrote in high school.It reminds me of buying REM albums. I used to grab everything they did. Then, they put out about 4-5 " best of", " definitive"and "greatest hits" albums with one added never heard before track, or a shitty folded up poster.So, you keep buying. Ultimately ending up with a truckload of albums, all with the same songs, with one extra track. Shameful.I find it hard to prioritise and focus, as there's so much stuff coming out. I've made some ordinary decisions, and with the exchange rate, and escalating postage, I need to be a bit discriminate about what I buy. It's probably a stage everyone goes through in this game. I'm also considering the option of earning more money to make things a bit easier. It's the old story, "I spent all my money on books,booze,motorbikes and hookers...the rest I just wasted"

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

<-------------------Considers sending Patrick a Creepshow just for fun.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    A video of you naked???

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    A video of you naked???
    He already has that.

Country
    Country Flag

I go off like a crate beast after a dozen beers and a few rums, but I'm seriously considering getting an actual copy of Creepshow. I've seen a couple of very cool Creepshow movie posters that would look great in a frame.....

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
    I go off like a crate beast after a dozen beers and a few rums, but I'm seriously considering getting an actual copy of Creepshow. I've seen a couple of very cool Creepshow movie posters that would look great in a frame.....
    Speaking of Creepshow posters, I love the ones Mondo did 2-3 years ago:

Country
    Country Flag

Very cool.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Your point is well-stated, Bunyip. But the only way this will stop is if we, the buyers, stop buying. And I'm not being preachy as I am as guilty as anyone about buying these. Although I don't buy the Chadbourne drawings at $150 a pop.
    I was going to give you anonymous negative rep for that but, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to carlosdetweiller again."
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I was going to give you anonymous negative rep for that but, "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to carlosdetweiller again."
    It's the thought that counts!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Is it just me or is anyone else getting tired of the increased "whoring" of SK when it comes to collectibles? I mean there are books published that are anniversary books, anniversary of anniversary books, etc. Most copies are signed only (except for a couple) by the artist(s), the artist's wife, the mistress of the artist or the mistress the wife and artist. Tabitha King gets an S/L. A recent ad showed a new 'Salem's Lot limited (seems like a numbered AND a lettered version) but not signed by SK. What's new besides the art? Is there no other way to showcase the nice art? Personally, a book that contains 95% of the same content isn't a real SK collectible. Sorry for venting. I'm probably in the minority here but this practice is getting old -- IMO.
    I don't think it is just you. Many of us have also vented about the anniversary editions....sometimes two anniversary editions of the same book by two different publishers. But as long as we keep buying them the publishers being businessmen will keep publishing them. You can't blame them, I guess.

John
    100% agree. I was floored when Joe Hill started getting the anniversary treatment too.
    I can see your point. For me, I like the new editions and presentation. I don't know if they will appreciate in value....probably not( for years and years anyway). There is some overkill with PS and CD both doing the same editions. I don't understand the lettered CD books with no King signature. I started collecting CD books a 6-7 years ago, as I had a truckload of well worn paper backs that I was constantly giving away to friends, and then replacing, and a bunch of nice "1st editions " that I had bought online not knowing what I was doing, that turned out to be a combination of BCE and not 1sts. I liked having a fresh, well presented keeper/display copy. The only other positive I can think of, is that in this digital age, I'm glad to see there are still some publishers operating, and that they are independent to Amazon etc. I would be happy if someone just published one or two gift/signed/lettered a year and went through the whole catalogue. I've also found the constant Remarque, art folio, remarqued art folio from CD expensive and tiresome. I've stuck with book Remarque for my AE, bought the folio, but can't see another $149USD for a remarqued folio(?) and yet another 6 month wait for them to arrive after the standard folio has been delivered. It sends me around the loop.
    For me, the signed ltd etc are generally out of my range on release. I'm appreciative of the opportunity to have a nice, semi collectable copy with nice slipcase,art etc. it just gets over the top at times.
    Just a thought, but while I am sure that the "Collectors" are a business consideration I think the new and anniversay editions and such being published may be aimed at a "New Generation" of fans, so to speak. Seems like everyone is updating and re-imagining of older tales these days. Just look at, Hollywood (Star Wars TFA, Star Trek, etc.). Again, just a thought.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Good point. They managed to cram all 3 original Star Wars movies into one single film. No mean feat! On the plus side, my young nephew is all over it, and Christmas was a blast.....fancy light Sabres and such. I was in heaven.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Good point. They managed to cram all 3 original Star Wars movies into one single film. No mean feat! On the plus side, my young nephew is all over it, and Christmas was a blast.....fancy light Sabres and such. I was in heaven.
    Cool. I'm not sure it's a "good thing", but for instance my nephews (7,9,12) claimed to never have seen the original three "Star Wars" films when I took them to see TFA. Bad parenting or a sign of the times? You decide. LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

I have a best mate, that has NEVER seen an Indiana Jones movie, or any of the proper Star Wars flicks,or LOTR trilogy.Disgrace. He wears it like a badge of honour. I feel sorry for him.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

A video of you naked???
    He already has that.
    So much for "our little secret."
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Bunyip, I'm still confused by all the Colorado Kid variants. In fact, back when it was released, I preordered an S/L but they mailed me an artist's edition in an S/L slipcase. I guess even the warehouse guys were getting confused. (To their credit, the publisher offered an exchange so I could have the proper book. In the end, I decided to keep the one they sent and take a store credit for the price difference. One less King signature in my collection.)

In regards to the main topic, your "Best of" record album analogy is spot on.

I have a best mate, that has NEVER seen an Indiana Jones movie, or any of the proper Star Wars flicks,or LOTR trilogy.Disgrace. He wears it like a badge of honour. I feel sorry for him.
    Ditch that loser.

Country
    Country Flag

Ha! I've considered it. I don't expect people to walk around like nerds on the Big Bang Theory quoting Han Solo or talking about The Ark. I just don't know how people can't have seen this stuff. No interest in broadening horizons or seeing what the fuss is about. I've offered countless times to give him DVDs etc. He used to give me Star Wars figures and cards for my birthdays! I rip into him all the time. If it weren't for sports,chicks, and beer I really wonder what we would talk about. He has never read a single King novel either. He did enjoy the Green Mile and Shawshank on DVD though.....

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

During the two short days spent in London (wednesday & thursday, cause I was attending a gig there), I went to the British Library where they had an interesting exhibition about ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Several books from the late 1860 & late 1860 were on display, numerous of them with gorgeous illustrations.
    The treasures of the British Library was also amazing to look at. All the books there (same with ALICE's) were opened, so that it shown nice illustrations for instance, but then the downside of it is that the covers were being shown.
    Still great opportunity, and those parts of the library was free.

I then concluded my journey by meeting my contact at Hodder with whom I have been in touch for several years. Talked about King, END OF WATCH, and other stuff. She sent me back home with several freeby books of other authors, and a FINDERS KEEPERS notebook.
    It was nice to finally be able to put a face to the name.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    During the two short days spent in London (wednesday & thursday, cause I was attending a gig there), I went to the British Library where they had an interesting exhibition about ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Several books from the late 1860 & late 1860 were on display, numerous of them with gorgeous illustrations.
    The treasures of the British Library was also amazing to look at. All the books there (same with ALICE's) were opened, so that it shown nice illustrations for instance, but then the downside of it is that the covers were being shown.
    Still great opportunity, and those parts of the library was free.

I then concluded my journey by meeting my contact at Hodder with whom I have been in touch for several years. Talked about King, END OF WATCH, and other stuff. She sent me back home with several freeby books of other authors, and a FINDERS KEEPERS notebook.
    It was nice to finally be able to put a face to the name.
    So you didn't visit Notting Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I will be in london next wednesday and thursday (going to see Slipknot on concert).
    I'll have some spare time to kill both days, any recommended places to visit book-wise? Any interesting bookshops?
    Well, there's the 'Travel Bookshop' in Notting Hill, that's rather interesting, and the dude that runs it looks just like Hugh Grant.

Apparently, Julia Roberts always buys her books there...

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I know, I wanted to go, but then things turned out differently as I didn't have that much time. I wrote it down for next time. Thanks for the tip though !
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

BTW, for reasons unknown to me, the site is not experiencing the daily 15 minute outage.
    So much for private time with your spouse.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

BTW, for reasons unknown to me, the site is not experiencing the daily 15 minute outage.
    So much for private time with your spouse.

Yeah, she was pretty upset. Work on that will you?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 555 of 972 FirstFirst ... 55 455 505 545 553 554 555 556 557 565 605 655 ... LastLast