Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 589 of 972 FirstFirst ... 89 489 539 579 587 588 589 590 591 599 639 689 ... LastLast
Results 14,701 to 14,725 of 24292

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Slob by Rex Miller
    I've read that too. I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking so much for recommendations as to what to read next. I have plenty of those. I was asking for any thoughts or comments on the ones I have recently read. A PM or e-mail would do so that this thread doesn't get hijacked.
    The "Currently Reading" thread is also a great place for this type of discussion.
    Yes. I understand. But the vibe on "Dutch Hill" sort of creeps me out. Not sure why but it does.

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, I have yet to read Grapes of Wrath, but I have just begun discovering Steinbeck recently (or re-discovering to an extent, I had read Of Mice and Men in high school as well as saw the play). I read Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday as well a few of his shorts. His style is something unique; easy to read and understand, fast paced, but with a certain depth and natural feel that is not prevalent in many authors. His characters and themes are quite varied and yet believable too. The aforementioned novels (or novellas) had a perfect mix of humour and seriousness while remaining surprisingly insightful. I'm not sure when I'll get to his work next, but it may well be the Grapes of Wrath.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Slob by Rex Miller
    I've read that too. I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't asking so much for recommendations as to what to read next. I have plenty of those. I was asking for any thoughts or comments on the ones I have recently read. A PM or e-mail would do so that this thread doesn't get hijacked.
    The "Currently Reading" thread is also a great place for this type of discussion.
    Yes. I understand. But the vibe on "Dutch Hill" sort of creeps me out. Not sure why but it does.
    Even with the Other Authors sub-forum own located there?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Slob by Rex Miller
    Even with the Other Authors sub-forum own located there?
    I don't check on it very often anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Bob, I have yet to read Grapes of Wrath, but I have just begun discovering Steinbeck recently (or re-discovering to an extent, I had read Of Mice and Men in high school as well as saw the play). I read Cannery Row and Sweet Thursday as well a few of his shorts. His style is something unique; easy to read and understand, fast paced, but with a certain depth and natural feel that is not prevalent in many authors. His characters and themes are quite varied and yet believable too. The aforementioned novels (or novellas) had a perfect mix of humour and seriousness while remaining surprisingly insightful. I'm not sure when I'll get to his work next, but it may well be the Grapes of Wrath.
    Cannery Row is one I will definitely get around too. I was about a third of the way through Grapes when it dawned on me "Wow! This guy can really write!" No wonder it is a classic. I can't believe it took me so long to "discover" it.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cannery Row is one I will definitely get around too. I was about a third of the way through Grapes when it dawned on me "Wow! This guy can really write!" No wonder it is a classic. I can't believe it took me so long to "discover" it.
    I live about a mile from Cannery Row. The 8th grade students here do a project each year learning about John Steinbeck and related local history, including a tour of local historical places - many of which I pass by regularly having no idea of their significance. It's a pretty interesting project, although I probably got more out of it than my son did.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

^Very cool! To be honest I hadn't even realized it was a real place, I kind of considered it just a microcosm of the depression in the south west.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

After you read TGOW...make sure you see the movie....a great film.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why is Audible (who is owned by Amazon) so awfully painful and cheap feeling???
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Why is Audible (who is owned by Amazon) so awfully painful and cheap feeling???
    Your question provided you with the answer.

Spoiler:
    ...owned by Amazon

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I won't even use it.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I've been a member of audible.com for about a dozen years (prior to Amazon's ownership). I like it just fine.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

@Jerome : yes, but it doesnt make sense to me. Amazon is a leader global ecommerce website, they definitely could get funding to rejuvenate it (it looks like it's from 2005). I guess that they dont want to update something that works, despite how aweful and painful it is.
    It's just weird because Audible has a huge catalog, including exclusives (hence why I want to use it, and well... french exclusives you can't find them online otherwise)... therefore could spend some pennies to look more like a modern technology company

@Patrick : admit it > the softwares are exactly the same since those past 12 years!
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

The same happened with AbeBooks.com. It remained a badly designed site for years after Amazon bought it. It recently went through a redesign but I feel it could still be better. Could be when Amazon buys an established internet property like this, updating the site is not a priority for them.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to Bev Vincent for sending me the program from the recent Necon 36. It has a cool appreciation of Joe Hill written by Stephen King, a nice article by Joe Hill, some enjoyable fiction, and near the end, a one or two line funny blurb about the attendees.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    The same happened with AbeBooks.com. It remained a badly designed site for years after Amazon bought it. It recently went through a redesign but I feel it could still be better. Could be when Amazon buys an established internet property like this, updating the site is not a priority for them.
    Yes, Abebooks feels a bit more modern since a year or, thanks to a very subtle redesign.
    Abebooks is however a different case IMO. It's sort of a complementary competitor althought it's a different approach.

Amazon sell Audible audiobooks, which you can later listen through the apps. But if you want to use the desktop version.............

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to Bev Vincent for sending me the program from the recent Necon 36. It has a cool appreciation of Joe Hill written by Stephen King, a nice article by Joe Hill, some enjoyable fiction, and near the end, a one or two line funny blurb about the attendees.
    Yes, thanks Bev. Also just received it the other day. It's a nice item to have.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Yes, Abebooks feels a bit more modern since a year or, thanks to a very subtle redesign.
    Abebooks is however a different case IMO. It's sort of a complementary competitor althought it's a different approach.

Amazon sell Audible audiobooks, which you can later listen through the apps. But if you want to use the desktop version.............
    Checked the "about" part of the AudibleManager software : it says copyright 1997-2010. And it doenst look like it's more recent than 2000. C
    Anyhow.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

@Patrick : admit it > the softwares are exactly the same since those past 12 years!
    You're right. But I am so tired of every program/app changing every other week for no reason other to keep a design team employed - that audible is just fine as it is. Or maybe this just means I'm getting old.

My only gripe is that they got rid of the queue that automatically purchased the next book on your list when the monthly credits renew.

By the way, I don't log in with my Amazon account. I log in with an old grandfathered username audible account from the pre-Amazon days. There's a tiny link in the corner of the screen where most people log in.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Wow! What a cool item!
    WANTED:

Lettered Danse Macabre
    Marshroots
    Lettered Eyes Of The Dragon
    Lettered The Stand
    BOMC signed Full Dark No Stars
    MM AGOT #249
    Lettered Frankenstein

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    Wow! What a cool item!
    Agreed! I'd like to see one in person.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Had to buy this, made me smile. Tasted horrible!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 589 of 972 FirstFirst ... 89 489 539 579 587 588 589 590 591 599 639 689 ... LastLast