Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 964 of 972 FirstFirst ... 464 864 914 954 962 963 964 965 966 ... LastLast
Results 24,076 to 24,100 of 24292

Thread: Random Comments/Stream of Consciousness Thread

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Wasn't sure where to drop this, but this is pretty cool:

The Suspense Project: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._AWMvWswI5HUgJ

This set represents thousands of hours of work by Dr. Joe Webb and others to assemble the highest quality episodes available and document as completely as possible one of the most recognized old-time radio series. Episodes will be added to this playlist until all have been released by the summer of 2025.

Suspense was one of radio's greatest series, with a tenure of 20 years covering parts of three decades. An anthology, the program featured many of the most prominent Hollywood and Broadway performers, a top-notch production team, and superb direction. As radio drama met its slow demise in favor of television in the 1950s, Suspense remained a staple of the genre through the 1950s and the early 1960s, cast with veteran radio performers of exceptional talent.

The show was created by CBS executive Charles Vanda, who originally conceived a gothic mystery series hosted by Alfred Hitchcock. That did not work out, but Vanda and William Spier kept pitching the idea to CBS. It was finally approved, and the series came to the air in June 1942. Vanda was called into military service a few weeks later, and Spier took over the series and changed the Suspense strategy to be based in Hollywood rather than New York and to focus on Hollywood stars. The story format changed feature first-person-narrative in most episodes.

While Suspense is considered a solid mainstay of the radio era, its life was actually rockier than commonly believed. It had a troubled history, was nearly canceled in 1947, had a disastrous (and thankfully short) hour-long format in early 1948, and seemed on the verge of cancellation for much of the late 1950s.

The show had big budgets in the 1940s to pay the big stars, the best writers and technicians, and a full orchestra with musicians of the highest caliber. Its custom-composed music was just as important to the broadcasts as the actors and the scriptwriters were.

The 1950s radio series saw their budgets cut and shifted to television. Suspense survived and was even a very successful television series in the early 1950s. Because Suspense was an anthology, they were able to shift from the big Hollywood stars strategy to lesser-stature movie performers and reliance on the medium’s most extraordinary radio performers. Those highly talented radio veterans were mostly anonymous in public, but radio listeners and classic radio enthusiasts knew and still know them well. Costs could be contained because there were no stars under contract to play the leads in every episode, and its stories and casts changed every week. The production could focus on its best qualities rather than feeding a star’s notoriety or publicity needs.

The show’s long tenure also meant that it had to navigate an audience that was changing and turning over. The series began re-present its best scripts and those of similar programs (such as Escape, Romance, and others) from earlier years. It’s not a repeat if you never heard it before. And if Suspense repeated it, that usually meant it was a darned good script since they had hundreds to choose from. A repeat meant the chance it could be savored once more.

The series was moved back to New York in 1959 and persisted until that day of September 30, 1962 which became known among collectors as the “day radio drama died.” That was when Suspense and Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar had their final broadcasts. And the idea that it could return again seemed hopeless, and any thought of future series such as CBS Radio Mystery Theater and others in the 1970s and 1980s seemed like an impossibility.
    https://suspenseproject.blogspot.com/
    Been listening to this playlist in order on my commute, very very nice and cozy! Never heard these before and so far The Hitch-Hiker has been excellent, and a few others. Can't wait to listen to more.

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

RIP Cormac

Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ditto...what Shaq said

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My mom passed away on Friday, very unexpectedly; she had just turned 79. Way back around 1981 sometime she introduced me to Stephen King with a paperback copy of The Dead Zone; I read it from missing front cover to back cover, and that was just the first of many that lead to a lifetime of reading and collecting for me.

I shot this portrait of her 20+ years ago, maybe at my younger brother's wedding. She was not an easy person to get a good picture of ("Throw that away, I look horrible" was the standard response); this is easily the best photo I ever took of her, and I knew I'd be using it for exactly this reason someday. I just didn't know it would be now.

If you all haven't already done it, get your kids introduced to Stephen King with a beat up old paperback copy that they can get engrossed in without worrying about a bent page or finger smudge. It may be a memory they carry with them for the rest of their life.

WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Special Projects Manager mmalling is a jewel in the rough mmalling is a jewel in the rough mmalling is a jewel in the rough mmalling's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So very sorry for your loss - beautiful picture
    ISO:
    - LSOE AE Remarque
    - Signed Everything's Eventual US 1st
    - Other Dark Tower Remarques

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So sorry to hear that, my sincerest condolences.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

My deepest sympathy for your loss. You took a wonderful picture of her.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

So sorry for your loss.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    My mom passed away on Friday, very unexpectedly; she had just turned 79. Way back around 1981 sometime she introduced me to Stephen King with a paperback copy of The Dead Zone; I read it from missing front cover to back cover, and that was just the first of many that lead to a lifetime of reading and collecting for me.

I shot this portrait of her 20+ years ago, maybe at my younger brother's wedding. She was not an easy person to get a good picture of ("Throw that away, I look horrible" was the standard response); this is easily the best photo I ever took of her, and I knew I'd be using it for exactly this reason someday. I just didn't know it would be now.

If you all haven't already done it, get your kids introduced to Stephen King with a beat up old paperback copy that they can get engrossed in without worrying about a bent page or finger smudge. It may be a memory they carry with them for the rest of their life.

My sincere condoleances
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Gunslinger Apprentice mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick has a spectacular aura about mcbanick's Avatar

Sorry for your loss. Beautiful picture of your mother
    WANTED
    DT Limiteds #293, #398
    70s Inscribed Stand
    70s Inscribed Shining
    YOP Inscribed Firestarter

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sorry to hear it.
    Eastasia has always taught college students to feel pride or shame according to their race.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thoughts are with ya my friend
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for your loss.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the kind words everyone, it's greatly appreciated.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry for your loss.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Now that Flash is on theaters I can say that it has a SK easter egg.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't notice it, but I noticed plenty easter eggs related to the DCU
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Today I learned that Matt Mahurin who illustrated the Centipede Press edition of The Haunting of Hill House is the same Matt Mahurin who did The Unforgiven video for Metallica 31 years ago.

Useless knowledge but still pretty cool.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Does anyone have a discount code for Folio they won't be using? I waited too long and mine expired last month.

Edit: found one on library thing: TNUR5D

Both Shirley Jackson books ✅

Country
    Country Flag

How is everybody doing?

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Doing great here in Texas! Hot as hell but it IS July and it IS Texas, so DUH!

It has been 54 years today that man first walked on the moon. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting on the living room floor with a huge tub of butter beans we were shelling. My parents and two sisters were there and my brother was in Vietnam. We had our eyes glued to our small black and white tv. Well, small tv by today's standards - we thought it was the shit!

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Doing great here in Texas! Hot as hell but it IS July and it IS Texas, so DUH!

It has been 54 years today that man first walked on the moon. I remember it like it was yesterday. I was sitting on the living room floor with a huge tub of butter beans we were shelling. My parents and two sisters were there and my brother was in Vietnam. We had our eyes glued to our small black and white tv. Well, small tv by today's standards - we thought it was the shit!
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I was just out getting a haircut when the discussion turned to audio books. After a bit the hair stylist asked, "Have you ever heard of The Dark Tower?", my eyebrows went up, and the next 10 minutes was all King talk and of course TDT.org. So, Rebecca in Colorado Springs, if you're reading this, welcome to the group!

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure about what is ahead at the moment, but I am feeling blue

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Not sure about what is ahead at the moment, but I am feeling blue
    New episodes of Hijack and Secret Invasion should cheer you up.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 964 of 972 FirstFirst ... 464 864 914 954 962 963 964 965 966 ... LastLast