Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast

Thread: If you published a Limited edition, or were designing a traycase what would it be?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteltor View Post
    Stop teasing (tempting) me! Is it really that easy (relatively)?
    Yes.
    Easy, yes for a professional binder. Cheap-no. Particularly if you are making only a few or especially Just one. An artist would have to design (draw) your concept for the cover art if you are having the book stamped, then the stamps themselves have to be created from the art you had created. The stamps might be $100 or more each. Suppose 2 stamps (one for the spine tentacles, and one for the cover text)-that's $200-$300 for the stamps, plus whatever you paid the artist to do the work (which after the stamps were made, I would have the original art bound in the book).

Suppose a simple leather binding, and simple slipcase, now you might want cool endpapers.

Just a rough draft (your mileage may vary):

• Book $25 + $5 media mail shipping to book binder = $30
    • Custom art (2 pieces, B&W, image approximately 4"x6" centered on an 8"x10" art paper) $150
    • Two stamps made of magnesium (cheapest material, fine for multiple stamping, but not for 100's of stampings) and drilling of holes in the stamps-for mounting in press $250
    • Custom leather binding, and slipcase with artwork stamped on them, custom endpapers, two pieces of art bound in $175
    • Shipping of stamps and book back to you $35
    Total $640

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Stop teasing (tempting) me! Is it really that easy (relatively)?
    Yes.
    Easy, yes for a professional binder. Cheap-no. Particularly if you are making only a few or especially Just one. An artist would have to design (draw) your concept for the cover art if you are having the book stamped, then the stamps themselves have to be created from the art you had created. The stamps might be $100 or more each. Suppose 2 stamps (one for the spine tentacles, and one for the cover text)-that's $200-$300 for the stamps, plus whatever you paid the artist to do the work (which after the stamps were made, I would have the original art bound in the book).

Suppose a simple leather binding, and simple slipcase, now you might want cool endpapers.

Just a rough draft (your mileage may vary):

• Book $25 + $5 media mail shipping to book binder = $30
    • Custom art (2 pieces, B&W, image approximately 4"x6" centered on an 8"x10" art paper) $150
    • Two stamps made of magnesium (cheapest material, fine for multiple stamping, but not for 100's of stampings) and drilling of holes in the stamps-for mounting in press $250
    • Custom leather binding, and slipcase with artwork stamped on them, custom endpapers, two pieces of art bound in $175
    • Shipping of stamps and book back to you $35
    Total $640
    I never said it was cheap!! lol However some of that can be broken down into phases to allow you to parcel out the funds somewhat. Nevertheless imagine your smile at the end of it all coupled with the pride for what you have accomplished!!!

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I keep hearing french fans complaining that there are no cool french limited editions, like the PS / CD ones. Which is a good thing for my bank account.
    But I also keep wondering if there is not something I could do about it...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

[*]Custom art (2 pieces, B&W, image approximately 4"x6" centered on an 8"x10" art paper) $150
    Do people like Glenn Chadbourne, Erin Wells, Vincent Chong, Les Edwards and the like (all of whom I'd consider big-name horror illustrators) work for those rates, or is this figure for a lesser-known artist?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    [*]Custom art (2 pieces, B&W, image approximately 4"x6" centered on an 8"x10" art paper) $150
    Do people like Glenn Chadbourne, Erin Wells, Vincent Chong, Les Edwards and the like (all of whom I'd consider big-name horror illustrators) work for those rates, or is this figure for a lesser-known artist?
    Chadbourne probably. Wells isn't doing horror anymore, Chong, and Edwards, unlikely.
    Rachel Redman, and Alex McVey possibly. Remember the cover, spine art are black pencil, ink, not fully colored, and for that book they are small images, thus not as expensive as a full color 7x9 image.

Edit: the tentacles image for the spine would be a very small image. Perhaps 1/4 " wide and not very tall, particularly if you want to leave room for the title. Even full size the tentacle would be 1/4" wide x 6" tall.
    Not a complicated imaged, thus less expensive.
    I'd check with Chadbourne.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Munnecom View Post
    Chadbourne probably. Wells isn't doing horror anymore, Chong, and Edwards, unlikely.
    Rachel Redman, and Alex McVey possibly. Remember the cover, spine art are black pencil, ink, not fully colored, and for that book they are small images, thus not as expensive as a full color 7x9 image.

Edit: the tentacles image for the spine would be a very small image. Perhaps 1/4 " wide and not very tall, particularly if you want to leave room for the title. Even full size the tentacle would be 1/4" wide x 6" tall.
    Not a complicated imaged, thus less expensive.
    I'd check with Chadbourne.
    I can pitch in here a little if you don't mind, El Jefe............................................

Jerome would be the man regarding the measurements and such. The edition sizes are generally thesame with a few exceptions and any customization you may have in mind. J, is correct with regard to the spine/cover/slipcase art being B/W pencil drawings because the color will be determined by the stamping process. That generally makes the cost for this art a little cheaper. For the inside illustrations you may want to go with full color illustrations which will run you in the same ballpark of a full page remarque from the chosen artist. Something to consider is that its your production so you can feel free to choose a different artist than the one that was chosen for the 1/1 edition. In fact, IMHO that's the way to go with a production like this rather than try to copy the original production. Remember, its your show. You determine the edition size, number, dedication, etc.

I know and have dealt with all of the artists, Jerome mentioned plus a few more from my days working for the HF. And I would be happy to offer an assist in contacting them, making an introduction and negotiating, etc. If you should want. What, Jerome quoted as a price was a general costs as the artist prices vary in range. Therefore each artist has to be negotiated with individually which, also affords you the opportunity to get involved with the scene/illustration composition making the edition even more your creation/vision.

Anyway, I hope that helps a bit. FWIW I would recommend that after determining which book you want to deal with and securing the page block, the first thing you find is a competent binder in your area/region. Once that is secured you can begin looking for an artist to contribute to your edition. Remember, as far as the page block goes, that is solely what you are looking for so the actually DJ (if there is one) and the hard cover condition are of no concern what so ever. Neither is the existing binding. Only the actual page block will be of concern and utilized.

Gunslinger Apprentice jsteltor will become famous soon enough jsteltor's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

You all have given me a lot of information which is what I was mulling over. I figured the price to produce a book was going to be at least $500 depending on artist and materials used. I was reading some of Paul's blogs on DragonRebound to get an idea of what he went through. Very involved.

I did wonder about a couple of things. First, is there really a market for these rebound editions aside from what Paul produces? With the initial investment, it wouldn't make sense to pursue it and lose money. Plus I wouldn't want to take away from what Paul is doing even though the books would not be competing against each other.

Second, does anyone think these rebound books would "saturate" the market?

On another note, I was looking at the Dark Forces edition that Brian at Lonely Road put out and I don't see how anything could compete with what he did, especially using trade page blocks. I know the text isn't exactly the same since King revised the story for Skeleton Crew, but still...

Oh, and last, do these need to be authorized by King and his people?
    Wants:
    Insomnia S/L
    Joyland S/L

Have:
    Doctor Sleep - CD PC copy
    Very Best of Best New Horror - PC copy
    Smoke and Mirrors - PC copy
    PS Publishing Anniversary editions set

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and last, do these need to be authorized by King and his people?
    No, He has been paid by the initial purchase of the book whether by you or someone else. You own and therefore can do what you wish. Though you do have to avoid copyright infringement in the font titling. The art is free and clear as well between you and the artist.

Citizen of Gilead Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough Munnecom is a jewel in the rough

First, is there really a market for these rebound editions aside from what Paul produces?
    David over at The Overlook Connection/Stephen King Catalog has also started doing his own rebound editions. First up is, coincidentally, The Mist. He uses the newly released stand-alone paperback edition for this. There are three versions:

Numbered edition (I don't know the limitation of this one)
    1/20 Lettered edition (Includes an original Chadbourne piece)
    1/1 Solo edition (This comes with the original 11x17 Chadbourne painting that is used for the jacket illustration and it sold within a few hours of being announced)

He is also doing an artbook of Chadbourne's illustrations (the originals of which are included with the lettered edition). That comes close to your idea for a monster gallery.

I believe Apt Pupil and The Sun Dog are next, though I'm not sure if these will simply be hardcover-bound versions of the new paperback releases or if David is going all out on these as well, with illustrations and the like.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

A HC for a paperback? IDK about that. Plus, unfortunately, Dave traditionally produces a lower end product (if he actually completes it) lacking in good taste. He doe help keep, Glenn in heating oil and I mean hat in a good way.

That last is certainly true, haha!

I have a few OCP books (rebound Bachman Books, lettered Girl Next Door, a few other Jack Ketchum titles) and although they are nothing fancy, they are solidly made books. On a personal note, David has been instrumental in helping me build my Ketchum collection and I have only good experiences in dealing with him. I believe he's not that popular on this board (correct me if I'm wrong), but I'd certainly vouch for him.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why the David and OCP hate? Curious.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    It's a very long and sordid story of delays, non-delivery shoddy product and half truths to go into. I was a staunch supporter many years ago, but his continual issues just forced me and I am sure others to just face the facts and wise up in general in his regard. It's kind of a shame really.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Overblown, overpriced, overpromised, overdone and underdelivered, SHIT. Total noncollectable garbage.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Trying to take a break from family medical issues, as well as fulfill my commitments. I present to you the Randall Flagg trio. Red, White, and Blue:

Gunslinger Apprentice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin is just really nice Earl of Popkin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So, a Randall Flagg Flag

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Trying to take a break from family medical issues, as well as fulfill my commitments. I presnt to you the Randall Flagg trio. Red, White, and Blue:

Really good looking Slips!

seeking: anything DT related #246
    Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Trying to take a break from family medical issues, as well as fulfill my commitments. I presnt to you the Randall Flagg trio. Red, White, and Blue:

Very very nice
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Trying to take a break from family medical issues, as well as fulfill my commitments. I present to you the Randall Flagg trio. Red, White, and Blue:

Its almost the french flag
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

I'll take the red one, please.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Some more pics:

Apt Pupil (L) and Shawshank Redemtion:

The Body (L) and The Breathing Method:

Hope Springs Eternal endpapers:

Summer of Corruption Endpapers:

Fall From Innocence endpapers:

A Winters Tale endpapers:

Andy:

Shawshank Guard:

Colophon:

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't wait to discover, hehe
    Extremely well done btw
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Looks very special indeed.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great job as usual, J!!!!! Very cool indeed!!!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice! Congrats!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 ... LastLast