Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dispensation of your collection upon your demise?

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Brice, I think that's why she laid claim to it.

Over the years I have given her numerous pieces of original art for her birthday and Christmas.

Her fear is I will sell it first.

Karl

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think David @ Betts Books is now in charge of several Collector's books upon their demise.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I have decided that I will change my will soon. My sons have got me so riled up.
    Is there anyone here that would be interested in my meager collection? Maybe I will send it to Betts, and procedes to haven . Not that I intend to go quietly as you may have surrmised I am hanging on rather tightly to this life.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

fight to the death girl!! you'll sleep long enough!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm gonna' have all my books buried with me in a mausoleum. I plan to test the theory that you can't take it with you.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I値l be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Make sure you pack them in waterproof bags. There are a few "Burke and Hare's" on here

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hope to retire in about 6 - 7 years. After that, I'm planning to spend a lot of time on eBay, selling off the remainder of my BJS (see avatar) collection, plus my SK collection...I think...

sk

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I see your av. Who is BJS?

I hate to see you sell your collection, but at the thought of all those foreign editions being up for sale.

If you rescue me

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

BJS=Barbara Streisand.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah! Thanks!

If you rescue me

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    BJS=Barbara Streisand.

Bar-bra Streisand!

sk

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have 3 customers (2 from this site) that have put me in their wills or have some legal document that says I will help sell/advise their collections. Really, it's not a bad idea to do this as most extended family would not know who to contact to value a collection.

I get collection valuation requests all the time...to the point where it might be smart to start charging a nominal fee for some of them, as I sometimes spend more than an hour or two going through the list and getting clarifications.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know it used to be a common practice for rare book sellers to charge an appraisal fee when looking at a large collection that may or may not require them to travel to another location. This charge was for collections, not just one or two books. To my knowledge, this practice continues, though not at high volumes as the number of rare book stores in my area states has greatly diminished and many owners are no longer able or unwilling to travel to someone else's home in order to grade and tally a collection for a small fee. In truth, the quality of the books being carried by local used and rare book dealers seems to have degraded as well.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    In truth, the quality of the books being carried by local used and rare book dealers seems to have degraded as well.
    I've noticed this too. I always assumed it was because of the ease of selling online has led people to sell their own books rather than sell to a local book dealer. And some book dealers sell exclusively online and don't incur the expense of keeping a real store open.

I used to try to go to several bookstores when I found myself in a different city but now I hardly ever bother.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

I used to try to go to several bookstores when I found myself in a different city but now I hardly ever bother.
    I still do this myself. I may not find anything particularly rare or valuable, but I'm a sucker for a used bookstore when I can find one. I can almost always find something I want and you can't feel and smell the books online.

If you rescue me

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I agree - many people seem to take the shortcut and sell their books directly online. I do it myself. Convenience is an issue, but also simple economics: if I sell my used books to a bookstore I will get almost nothing for them, while selling them online allows me to play even or make a profit (of course, I'm talking about trade paperbacks and the like - for limited books it may be worthwile to consign them through a bookseller).

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I do not sell books at all. I'm more likely to sell family members.

If you rescue me

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

So did I but I ran out of family members.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have some I'd trade for books. Luckily I have a big family. Luckier still alot of them I wouldn't mind parting with.

If you rescue me

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I have found books in used bookstores to be overpriced for their condition. I get discouraged when I take a book off the bookshelf and see it priced for a lot more than several better conditioned books on ABE. I guess they make sales to people who are unsuspecting and not familiar with internet sites but I find their prices a lot of times to be just insane. I can usually tell within the first couple of minutes if I need to stay and browse further or just walk out. The internet, especially ABE, has really spoiled me.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. I generally hit used bookstores for cheap reading copies. It's convenience really. You go home with something to read immediately as opposed to having to wait. When I want books that I care about lasting I buy online mostly. Also I have noticed some used book stores have been jacking prices up in recent years though.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

You are right Bob. And I do the same, Brice - in used bookstores I only look for reading copies nowadays.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

I still prefer to purchase from a physical bookstore, whenever possible, if the mark-up is reasonable. I have had problems buying online and receiving books that are NOT in their described condition. Then I have to contact the online store and either way, most likely I will be out of the return shipping.

Last month I wanted a complete set of Hardcovers Jeffrey Archer reading copies in Fine condition. I ordered 4 copies online from different sellers and had to return 3 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    I still prefer to purchase from a physical bookstore, whenever possible, if the mark-up is reasonable. I have had problems buying online and receiving books that are NOT in their described condition. Then I have to contact the online store and either way, most likely I will be out of the return shipping.

Last month I wanted a complete set of Hardcovers Jeffrey Archer reading copies in Fine condition. I ordered 4 copies online from different sellers and had to return 3 of them.
    Yes, there is always that potential problem. And I do still love going to bookstores. It's just that more and more often I leave empty-handed.

And sometimes it is the only way to find new things to collect. I'll find something that I had never seen or heard of and it will open up a new avenue of interest. You can't get THAT on ABE very often. It's hard to find new avenues of interest when you do the same old tired searches on ABE day after day.

Still, I'm finding physical bookstores less and less interesting for some reason.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast