Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dispensation of your collection upon your demise?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Dispensation of your collection upon your demise?

I know this is a bit macabre, but for those who have collections of significant value-for the purpose of this thread a collection worth over (but not limited to, perhaps a person has one or more items that in and of themselves are very valuable) $5,000, what is your plan to have your heir dispense-or keep your books/art?

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i call dibs.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If I keel over tomorrow, my wife will probably sell them on eBay.

If I live long, then I'll leave them to my kids - if they have interest when they're older.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess my point is-how do you make sure your heirs actually know and receive the true value of what has been bequeathed to them?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no single item over $5,000, but if I did I'd make sure they knew to come here for help if they wanted to sell.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I have no single item over $5,000, but if I did I'd make sure they knew to come here for help if they wanted to sell.
    How would you do so in advance-and have you (or most anyone else here) done so?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

In my case my little brother is a member and he knows where to ask.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

I want my books to go with me when my corpse is shot out of a cannon off of a skyscraper ala Donkey Kong
    Spoiler:
    KABOOM!!!!!!
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

M-O-O-N Chooch is on a distinguished road Chooch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A reputable book dealer would be my first avenue and a good inventory that could be verified by an appraisel , and then I'd have to decide who get's what
    If it weren't for integrity...what would you be? Ka is a wheel.....

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

I'm only 26 years old, but my friends and family know that i have an extensive collection of books. While I am sure none of them would be able to sell my books without help, I have specific descriptions and details for what I would like done with my books.

For instance, books inscribed to me I would like distributed within my family. Signed limited editions should be sold and money divided between family. Etc.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    If I keel over tomorrow, my wife will probably sell them on eBay.

If I live long, then I'll leave them to my kids - if they have interest when they're older.
    By the way, I have no single item worth five grand either, but the combined value of everything certainly qualifies.

I guess my point is-how do you make sure your heirs actually know and receive the true value of what has been bequeathed to them?
    ... I'd make sure they knew to come here for help if they wanted to sell.
    If she wanted to sell them, my wife would either come here and find this forum, as I've mentioned she should do (I've even mentioned a few people by real name to look for - if she remembers). Or she'd simply trust eBay bidders to set the market price. She knows enough not to donate them to Goodwill or sell them in a garage sale.

Now that I'm thinking about it... If we were both to go out at the same time while the boys are still young, I don't know if anyone else (the grandparents mainly) would realize the value. Maybe I better mention something to someone else in the family...

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

if bob kicks the bucket... i think i have first dibs in his will since i am a fellow 5th generation texan.

i'd give him first dibs... but i'm sure he already has most of what i have.

i personally keep a very very lengthy list of all my books...what i paid for them, descriptions, inscriptions, and a semi-updated list of a round-about figure of what they sell for "currently" (i try to update the prices every year or two).

i don't have kiddos or wives... no kin in town... but my dad and siblings know to look for the list and not to trash anything... even if it does look like a silly little piece of paper.

i include my original paintings and gold coins on the list. would hate to look down from heaven (or up from hell since i'm an athiest ha ha) and see my 17 grand patrick nagel sold for 20 bucks in a yard sale.

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    I'm only 26 years old, but my friends and family know that i have an extensive collection of books. While I am sure none of them would be able to sell my books without help, I have specific descriptions and details for what I would like done with my books.

For instance, books inscribed to me I would like distributed within my family. Signed limited editions should be sold and money divided between family. Etc.
    And, of course:

"CHARLIE AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY, 1st Edition, I bequeath to Patrick in California. Find him over at TheDarkTower.com."
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice blg is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Assuming i don't get into a situation where I need to sell my collection for an unseen financial crisis, I hope everything will go to my daughter (she is only 8 months old). I have always joked that she'll probably hate Stephen King and will sell everything as soon as I keel over.

I also keep a list of everything and what I paid for it.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I know this is a bit macabre, but for those who have collections of significant value-for the purpose of this thread a collection worth over (but not limited to, perhaps a person has one or more items that in and of themselves are very valuable) $5,000, what is your plan to have your heir dispense-or keep your books/art?
    Siblings tend not to appreciate their parents collections and just want to sell things off for as much as they can get.

Personally, my wife just has to look at my collection insurance policy to find out their value. What she does then is up to her.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I keep a Excel spreadsheet listing name of book along with description (1st/1st, signed, limited, numbered), retail price from book, publisher, date published, and the amount I paid for it.

My family is aware that I have a rather large collection and they know that if anything should happen to me they should sell the collection. They also know where to find my spreadsheet which includes names and contact info for Betts. I figured they could help them locate a buyer or driect them on where to sell.

I have been in discussion with my insurance agent about having my collection appraised. This would not be a easy task.

Life is a garden...dig it!

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I have everything recorded what I paid for it and it's "present value" on the secondary market, which for their sake I hope not to kick soon because it is very soft.

My lifetime lettered subs are transferable so those will go to my son who has shown an interest in collecting books.

With my paintings I told my wife to contact Caniglia and sell them through him. I just feel bad because she'll have to crate them up because some of them are huge, but serves her right because she outlived me.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I have struggled with this even tho' by comparrison my collection is more than meager. My sons will get everthing, if they dont want or sell a thing, I wont care ...I'll be too busy . What to do with my books on the other hand has been discussed with them, and Richard ( Joe dirt)knows he can log on here and start a give a way to anyone that would want them.

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

I have no Signed first editions, but if i were to die in some "random" freak "accident", then they would either throw my books away, because apparently I'm the only one who understands the value of books in my house (If somehow a bok gets completely damaged to the point that it's readable but pages are missing or something liek that, i still hesitate to toss it in the trash.) or send them to Goodwill or something.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gunkslinger View Post
    I have everything recorded what I paid for it and it's "present value" on the secondary market, which for their sake I hope not to kick soon because it is very soft.

My lifetime lettered subs are transferable so those will go to my son who has shown an interest in collecting books.

With my paintings I told my wife to contact Caniglia and sell them through him. I just feel bad because she'll have to crate them up because some of them are huge, but serves her right because she outlived me.
    hey gunk... you can have her contact me about those caniglias too... i wouldn't mind a second shot at some of the ones you "stole" out from under me ha ha

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunkslinger View Post

hey gunk... you can have her contact me about those caniglias too... i wouldn't mind a second shot at some of the ones you "stole" out from under me ha ha
    Sure, just have your Dad and siblings do the same for me!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Funny...I actually went to Iraq twice as a freelance embedded journalist so it was more than a theoretical concern.

I printed up an inventory list with what I paid and some random estimate what I thought they were worth and put the list on the bookshelf with all the books...figured it would be somebody else's problem, not mine...haha...

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

OKAY... HOW FITTING THE TIMING OF THIS IS.
    My daughter and son had have come to town to Celebrate life of a great man (my Dad passed 1-10-09). My daughter and I were talking just now and I was showing her a bit of my collection that are in the cases in this room. We were having a discussion about how to tell 1st editions from others. I was showing her flatsigned books in comparison to inscribed books, dated as well as undated, etc. We have had this discusion over the phone before however it is so much easier to show examples in person. I was pointing out some of the rarer itmes in my collection and she found it interesting to see things there were items small by comparrion being worth way more then what one expected to be the obviois higher valued items. I had just discussed ways to find out good representations of values on items. I had mentioned how some major collectors turn to places like Camelot books in Tampa or Stu Tinkers store in Bangor Maine to sell there collections. After that conversation I moved over to this computer which already had DT.com sitting open on the desktop and as I looked up to review todays unread posts I explained how this was also a great resource for King information and such.
    How appropriate was it to see this discusion?
    My fathers passing was sad however was also a blessing as his quality of life was turning toward much less then he deserved and it also provided opportunity for us all to get together and renew our family bonds as we celebrated his life.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

That is a wonderful story, I think it's a good idea for families to have this sort of discussion.

I believe my very small collection would be Dora's responsibility, she would probably keep them.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast