Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Site Outages

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

I will help wherever I can!

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

another blackout

So lonely

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I was just clocking . . . but we're baaaaack!!!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I was on it quick this time. The people at Hostrocket are trying to come up with a solution which includes tracking the problem.

We're going to do whatever it takes to get it solved. Really sorry for any inconvenience.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

No inconveniences, Matt. We just can't stay away from your wonderful site.

btw was there an outage this morning? around 6:00 AM est?

The Lord of Skytop. Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger has a spectacular aura about Gunkslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll pony up some cash to keep this site running just as long as others follow suit..

I donated a sizeable amount to .net. Then it tanked. What a great investment.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I appreciate that man. I also donated some money years ago.

This is basically the reason why I want to make sure the site stays free to everyone, it matters to me that people feel like they get their "money's worth"

Some kind of paid membership is being talked about and I am overwhelmed by how generous people are being. I'm glad folks like the place, it's a dream come true for me.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

( to paraphrase an older Letti sig )

Yeah... we like it a little bit... a little bit like the Earth !
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    I will help wherever I can!
    To quote Patrick Swayze "Ditto"

And why wait til after haven season? If folks are going to help out then they will regardless. I understand your concern but I would bet you'd be surprised. One thing sort of has nothing to do with the other. Or something like that. I just want some cool sigul by my name LOL

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

During Haven Season (I like that), I would much rather any extra funds a person has go to that.

But the sigul is a cool idea, I may do that for contributors this year.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post

During Haven Season (I like that), I would much rather any extra funds a person has go to that.

But the sigul is a cool idea, I may do that for contributors this year.
    Why Thank you My Good Man!!! (#101 LOL) And feel free to use the "Haven Season" all you like lol.

You know, The Tower and Guns sigul of DT.com might be a good (and original) idea. Or the Ka or Crimson King eye? Just spitballing.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

The monthly server fee is the main cost of site upkeep, and it is not enough for us to feel like we should accept any donations to offset the cost.

This site is, and always will be, a place where anyone can come free of charge. Any money that is being paid should be for a service or product, and not a donation. At least that's how I see it. So if we are going to introduce some sort of paid premium thing, there will certainly have to be advantages that come with the payment. Ya dig?
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep, no "something for nothing" on the site.

And there in lies the problem.

But overall I really appreciate you guys thinking about us, we're going to figure out a way for people to help if they would like at some point

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hannah View Post
    The monthly server fee is the main cost of site upkeep, and it is not enough for us to feel like we should accept any donations to offset the cost.

This site is, and always will be, a place where anyone can come free of charge. Any money that is being paid should be for a service or product, and not a donation. At least that's how I see it. So if we are going to introduce some sort of paid premium thing, there will certainly have to be advantages that come with the payment. Ya dig?

Actually M'am, and with all due respect, what I was suggesting was in no way a membership and/or advantages thing. People who have been over at .Net will more readily understand but, if you enjoy the site, and WISH to make a donation (sort of like putting a buck in the SA bucket) AND/OR would like to have a cool sigul next to your name on the boards then you participate. If not. nothing changes. You would just be allowing people who would willingly and selflessly, of their own individual accord, contribute if they like. Receiving the sigul would be akin to getting a poppy pin when you donate to VA members? The KEY is there is no obligation whatsoever!!! Especially if you set a nominal minimum like say 5 or 10 ten bucks. I don't know works for me. Anyone else have thoughts?

P.S. Personally, I think that the first people to donate and rec the sigul will start a buzz on the boards. Where did you get that cool sigul? because I donated to the site. Ahhh, I wanna get me one!!! (or not, makes no functional difference the site remains the same) cool?
    Last edited by Merlin1958; 01-27-2009 at 11:10 AM. Reason: content

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It's actually a beautiful problem to have, weather or not to do this I mean.

So I want to make sure everyone understands how much Aaron, Dora, Hannah and myself appreciate the desire to give back to the site, it means a lot to us.

However, this should be the last word on the subject for a while.

1. The slowdash and flat outage the site is experiencing may or may not be related to our server cost. If it is, we're going to fix it and don't mind the money outlay that would create. We love the place like a child.

2. Ideas for a paid membership will continue to be kicked around but the site itself will always remain free. I love the idea of giving and in a case like this, I think (for now) we would be better served if we point that idea at charity.

3. TheDarkTower.com is not accepting any simple contributions to the site at this time but would love it if people wanted to get involved with the fundraiser.

4. If we ever do allow some kind of paid membership, it will be in return for something "extra" that does not include the free benefits of the site.

Again--I really appreciate the desire to give back and I want everyone to know I'm all for it. We can focus the community to do amazing things, the cost of the site is a pittance to have that opportunity.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what happened to this site those last few days?

Is it fixed or will it MAYBE occur again soon?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

The problem (as far as I understand it) is a combination of different things, including Host Rocket and we also need to upgrade to more memory. We're working on fixing it, so hopefully it won't happen again anytime soon.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So basically, what's happening is the same thing that happened to thedarktower.net, right?

Too successfull...
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Servant of Gan Aaron is on a distinguished road Aaron's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am going to be doubling our RAM space in the next couple of days, which should hopefully fix the issue for now. The double-edged sword of high activity on the site. But the upgrade is pretty inexpensive, so no worries. Sorry that it was down for so long; I think there were actually issues with HostRocket in general yesterday, as everytime I tried to call support they couldnt take my call due to extraordinarily high call volume--all five times that I attempted.

It is similar to what happened at tdt.net, but not the same at all. On top of their storage issues, they also had a ton of faulty code, because the original owner had altered it when experimenting with new features. We don't do that at all with this site, so our only issue is storage, which we should be able to remedy through server upgrades.
    Heng Dai

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

I'm so glad we're back on line!

And I also want to give a big thank you to our directors who are working so hard to keep us up and running!

You guys rock, and thanks so much.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

*clings to .com*
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

wb tdt.com. thanks Aaron for working it out.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Woohoo! We're back!

Thanks to the Directors for working to keep all us crazy people in one place.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Feels good to be here.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast