Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Step Over to the Dark Side...Have You Converted Anyone? How did you do it?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    She probably just didn't get it because the heroes of the story don't fuckin' sparkle.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Traveler Willowtree is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Totally got my son into SK...Thankfully,he likes reading and it is a change from all of the video games!and a couple of neighbors...a change from all of the vampire books and Japanese anime!

Along the Path of the Beam Doe is on a distinguished road Doe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My mother, She was rambling on about getting some books for the ipad she just bought, so, I told her to get The Gunslinger, she did and is loving it.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Awesome! It feels good to pass the story onto someone else.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, as you may remember I gave the Gunslinger because she had asked for it to a student of mine. She got stuck somewhere in the middle. She is not over Tull yet. I am just about to lose hope. :sad:

Roland would have understood.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

That sucks. I hate when you get so anxious and excited to share it with someone who doesn't get "into" it.

(Just like my previous posts about my friend who thought it was "okay". I recently asked her if she had been reading it, and she hasn't. What a loser. haha)

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't have any friends in Waco that are into the same stuff I am. I'm not from here, and have only been here two years. I got so desperate to talk to someone in person about this that I have started reading the DT books out loud to my husband. My husband does no enjoy reading, but he is getting into the story. At times he will take a turn at reading, but its pretty much fallen on my shoulders... he giggles at the sex scenes.

Yeah, my husband doesn't read either. But, if I tried to read to him, he'd probably just ignore me...or leave the room.
    How far into the reading are you?

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fur-nan-doh View Post
    Yeah, my husband doesn't read either. But, if I tried to read to him, he'd probably just ignore me...or leave the room.
    How far into the reading are you?
    Well, the first night I got to the point where he was about to tell Brown about what happened in Tull, my husband felt there was too much and he may of missed something so I had to reread most of it. He is having trouble following if I read too much in one night, so this could take a great number of years to accomplish. I have a feeling that he is hanging in there though because he knows how much it means to me.

That's awesome. At least he's allowing you to read it to him.
    When I first read the series, no one I knew had read it so it drove me crazy not being able to talk about it. My husband would, at least, listen to me as I talked about what I had read that night. He knew I was addicted and wanted to share it with someone.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fur-nan-doh View Post
    That's awesome. At least he's allowing you to read it to him.
    When I first read the series, no one I knew had read it so it drove me crazy not being able to talk about it. My husband would, at least, listen to me as I talked about what I had read that night. He knew I was addicted and wanted to share it with someone.
    I bet he was like, WTF kind of crazy book is she reading, the author must have written it on LSD It's good that he let you talk to him about it though, it's so weird that I can't imagine someone describing it to me having never read it.

Haha. Well, he was pretty used to me talking about SK books before I read TDT, so he wasn't that shocked, I guess.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh I, too, have totally been rambling on and on to DH about TDT for as long as we've been married! And he never complained, because I got to know TDT before I met him, so it was kind of my 'thing'.
    But lo and behold, I've finally converted him - he's just finished the 7th book. Liked it, too. Now I finally have someone to have intelligent conversation with
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I totally want one of these for my car. I wonder if I could convert anyone with it.

http://www.zazzle.com/my_boss_is_a_g...89949290099498
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

Along the Path of the Beam Doe is on a distinguished road Doe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Want

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Want!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I totally want one of these for my car. I wonder if I could convert anyone with it.

http://www.zazzle.com/my_boss_is_a_g...89949290099498
    That's great ... and I love the name of the user who created it : Flaggboy
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

John F. Kennedy Serpent Raptor is on a distinguished road Serpent Raptor's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely

Well, I saw the last Dark Tower book in the library a couple of years ago, and saw it was by Stephen King--I was like "This doesn’t look like horror...I didn't realise Stephen King wrote fantasy epics..." It looked a bit too long for me to get into, but I thought I'd have a go at reading it. Then I saw that it was the final book out of seven of them. That put me off, lol.

Then last year I saw the hardback edition of Wolves of the Calla in a book sale, and decided to buy it. Then I looked on the net to find out a bit about what the hell the books were about--and read a bit about Blaine the mono, and saw the charlie choo choo pic on google. I was like “an insane talking train? Man that sounds cool!” So then I went hunting for the other books, but as is the case with libraries, they didn’t have the whole series. Neither did any of the bookstores.

I was getting kind of desperate, and looked on Ebay, where I found the box set of the first 4 books—the revised editions. So I bought it. Unfortunately I had a couple of other books (ALIEN expanded universe novels) to finish, so I read them first.

Funnily enough, the week after I bought the box set, I went back to my mates house (I’d used his computer to buy the books) and found out he had the exact same set, and had owned them for ages!!! But it was still sealed and he hadn’t read any of them. He still hasn’t either.

A few weeks later I found out one of my mates had the Gunslinger, but hadn’t read it. I told him he should, so he read some of it, but didn’t even get to the Tull massacre, cos he couldn’t get into it.

In July last year I lent the Gunslinger to someone else I know, and he STILL has it, and hasn’t read it, though he keeps telling me he means to.
    I’ve tried like heck to get my brothers to read the books, but they have refused.

Basically, I have failed to convert anyone. A few friends have said the series sounds very interesting, when I tell them about it, but they don’t bother trying to read the books.

Its sooo annoying not knowing anyone with the same obsession with the Dark Tower series as me!
    That’s why I’m HERE, at Palavar! Lol.

Along the Path of the Beam Rice Dancer is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cynical

I have two friends who have asked to borrow my books which is cool.

Along the Path of the Beam Rice Dancer is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Cynical

My recommendation is always, "Get through the first book and then you'll be fine."

Demon of the Prim Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha has a spectacular aura about Yaksha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I so converted my brother just by throwing it at him when he wanted a book to read. He read the first sentence looked up and said "Awesome" he was sold just like that.
    If you love me then love me..

Country
    Country Flag

I'm in the process of converting a co-worker. He has just finished The Gunslinger, and told me it was OK, although a bit unusual (he is used to 'normal' fantasy and sci-fi.)
    But since he asked about the next book, I think it's a good sign

Citizen of Gilead kluker is on a distinguished road kluker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a friend who doesn't really like stephen king but I told her if she reads Gunslinger then i'll bake her a cake she is in the process of reading it now

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

I finally got my roommate to read them. He is on Song of Susannah at the moment.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast