Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Step Over to the Dark Side...Have You Converted Anyone? How did you do it?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

:radioactive: One of my friends is interested in DT!!! :crazyhappydance: BUT...

Okay, I need your help right away. I know this thread will need to get merged but it's emergency.
    I have this sweet student of mine who doesn't read much. But she sees on FB and everywhere how crazy I am about this series. AND yesterday she wrote me that I should lend her this Dark Tower book. I felt like this:
    But... I am a bit worried. I mean I am quite sure if I give her the first book, the Gunslinger she won't be able to finish it. So I am wondering maybe she should start with the second book immediately. But it doesn't sound that good, either.
    What do you think? Shall I give her the first or the second book?
    Don't forget that she isn't a bookbug like most of us.

Roland would have understood.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lend her The Gunslinger first, and explain, as thoroughly as you can, that the other books are very different and that it is crucial that she make it through the first book in order to enjoy the rest. That's how it worked for some of my students.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice agrabin is on a distinguished road agrabin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My view, for what it's worth, give her The Gunslinger to read first...it's shorter than the others...it's easy to read...and I believe even though she's not really a 'reader', that she'll want to read on.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Lend her The Gunslinger first, and explain, as thoroughly as you can, that the other books are very different and that it is crucial that she make it through the first book in order to enjoy the rest. That's how it worked for some of my students.
    This is excellent advice. I'd start with the Gunslinger first, as well.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm gonna listen to you. I have just talked to her and she told me not to forget about the book. I am so so so excited.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I concur with the others.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I agree with you. Let's hope she makes it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Lock her in a room and don't let her escape till she reads them.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Hm, that's not good. She should read them because she herself likes/falls in love with them.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Hm, that's not good. She should read them because she herself likes/falls in love with them.
    Okay, lock her in a room with nothing except for DT books then IF she discovers them AND falls in love with them she can go free. If not she can stay there with a bunch of books she doesn't wish to read. The choice is entirely hers. I have faith she'll make the right choice.

If you rescue me

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

Lend her the book, she will do the right think, I am confident because she is a friend & student of yours hence a smart young lady .

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay, I need your help right away. I know this thread will need to get merged but it's emergency.
    I have this sweet student of mine who doesn't read much. But she sees on FB and everywhere how crazy I am about this series. AND yesterday she wrote me that I should lend her this Dark Tower book. I felt like this:
    But... I am a bit worried. I mean I am quite sure if I give her the first book, the Gunslinger she won't be able to finish it. So I am wondering maybe she should start with the second book immediately. But it doesn't sound that good, either.

lend her the revised version. i have just got big sis, dad and hubbie all reading the series.

Dad and big sis tried to read the original a few years ago and gave up, i have been harrassing them since and was going to get them to start on DoTT but hubbie read the gunslinger revised and loved it. So i persuaded them to read it from the start. And they have loved it

Sorry to waffle on there Letti, just saying Gunslinger first

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post

lend her the revised version. i have just got big sis, dad and hubbie all reading the series.

Dad and big sis tried to read the original a few years ago and gave up, i have been harrassing them since and was going to get them to start on DoTT but hubbie read the gunslinger revised and loved it. So i persuaded them to read it from the start. And they have loved it

Sorry to waffle on there Letti, just saying Gunslinger first
    Revised is not an option in this case because she would like to read it in Hungarian and the revised version isn't publish in Hungarian at all. Just the original. But even that one is totally unavailable in shops these days.
    Still thank you for your care and for your help.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

why in Hungarian?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    why in Hungarian?
    She has been learning English for some months. She is on elementary level. IMHO it would be damn hard for her to read it in English.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I finally got another one of my friends to start reading The Dark Tower. It took her a while to get through The Gunslinger and she started Drawing of the Three today. She was on about pg 50 when I asked her if she was hooked yet. (Keep in mind, Roland has just stepped into Eddie's body/mind). Her exact words were: "It's okay, I guess."
    I cannot express my dissapointment at this time. I guess I should have known better considering Twilight is her favorite book series.

I've gotten about 5 people into this series and she is the first who was not absolutely hooked immediately after starting DotT.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, true. Maybe later.

Country
    Country Flag

okay?! It's okay?!!! It's the best fucking scene in world's fucking literature.

If I were Brice the Fierce, I would tell you what exactly you should do with the girl...

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

seriously that would floor me completely! "in fact I could use a hand getting up just from reading that.I dont know what I would say, but I'm fairly certain it may well be considered rude, and or insensitive...maybe even offensive. Take heart tho, maybe your friend is a little slow (see? I'm sorry I dont mean to be so mean)

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Girlystevedave View Post
    I finally got another one of my friends to start reading The Dark Tower. It took her a while to get through The Gunslinger and she started Drawing of the Three today. She was on about pg 50 when I asked her if she was hooked yet. (Keep in mind, Roland has just stepped into Eddie's body/mind). Her exact words were: "It's okay, I guess."
    I cannot express my dissapointment at this time. I guess I should have known better considering Twilight is her favorite book series.

I've gotten about 5 people into this series and she is the first who was not absolutely hooked immediately after starting DotT.
    And how did you react to that?

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Given that the conversation was via text message, I chose to not respond. I think I was too floored by the comment to even react properly.
    Believe me, next time I see her in person, I will drill her about what exactly is wrong with her that she could think it was okay, yet believe that Twilight is an enjoyable series.
    Hell, I may even make a chart with comparisons between TDT's awesomeness and Twilight's lameness.
    I'm sure that would change her point of view.
    If it doesn't, I disown her as a friend...and a human being.

And Alinda: I would think she was "slow" as well except she has read and loved a lot of other SK books. So, naturally, how could one NOT like TDT?

Country
    Country Flag

loved a lot of King books, but not DT2? That's weird.

I know. It's like Twilight Zone weird.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

She probably just didn't get it because the heroes of the story don't fuckin' sparkle.

Jean, she's not even fit for my wrath or vengeance. I am appalled and disgusted. Amanda abandon this fake friend posthaste. She can only bring you down.

...bonus points if you tell her why you''re ditching her.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Letti- If you can help her to love the story in Hungarian then you can help her with her english with the english versions. :dance;

If you rescue me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast