Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do we like being scared?

Gunslinger Apprentice al'Lan Mandragoran is on a distinguished road al'Lan Mandragoran's Avatar

Ha... I can't say for sure. I think I was born with it. Even getting near a slightly raised ledge scares me spitless.
    Duty is heavier than a mountain, death lighter than a feather. - al'Lan Mandragoran, Eye of the World

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Spiders, snakes, coyotes, big dogs...all these I can handle. A simple crawldad, lobster, crab, scorpion...anything with crab-like claws really creeps me out!

The odd thing is that The Drawing of the Three was my favorite in the DT series.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Clowns--bad stuff.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Gunslinger Apprentice Jonn Wolfe is on a distinguished road Jonn Wolfe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The only thing that really unnerve me are black holes.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

being completly helpless in a situation is my only fear

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Spiders, snakes, coyotes, big dogs...all these I can handle. A simple crawldad, lobster, crab, scorpion...anything with crab-like claws really creeps me out!

The odd thing is that The Drawing of the Three was my favorite in the DT series.
    I have a phobia of spiders, yet I love them. I just don't want them on me. Perhaps I'll post a picture of my preserved Hapeotolis Minax *Black Thailand Tarantula* (spelling may be off) that has been where I've slept, for about two years now. At times it has haunted my dreams. This spider looks like, The King of Spiders. It's seriously bigger than my face. I've a picture of it up next to a DVD case for comparison. This is the spider the Crimson King would be in my mind, in Spider form.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

What Scares You Most?

The apparent economic meltdown we are having.

As far as movies?
    When idiot parents bring young children to Rob Zombie movies.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by al'Lan Mandragoran View Post
    I fear falling the most.
    Falling is not so bad. The subsequent landing kinda' sucks though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

"Reminds me of that fellow back home that fell off a ten story building... as he was falling people on each floor kept hearing him say, "So far, so good."
    (The Magnificent Seven)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    What Scares You Most?

As far as movies?
    I would've went as a child, but I never liked kids movies.

When I saw Silent Hill, there was a child crying and I saw a stroller and the mother comforting it. Goddamn, I bet those burnt children demons are going to traumatize that child. That image will be burned in it's subconcious. IT'S CALLED A BABYSITTER HICK PARENTS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

As far as movies?
    Agreed. I think it was when I went to see Halloween this past summer, someone had brought a baby into the theater, who of course ended up crying during the film. And it was after the kid was crying for awhile before the parent even got up to take the kid out of the theater for a little bit.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Clearly they are trying for "Parent of the Year."
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Along the Path of the Beam Vasagi is on a distinguished road Vasagi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    What Scares You Most?

As far as movies?
    I would've went as a child, but I never liked kids movies.

When I saw Silent Hill, there was a child crying and I saw a stroller and the mother comforting it. Goddamn, I bet those burnt children demons are going to traumatize that child. That image will be burned in it's subconcious. IT'S CALLED A BABYSITTER HICK PARENTS
    When I used to frequent the theaters, I hated shit like that. One time, I went to the manager and demanded that either he get the parent with the baby to leave, or give me my money back. It wasn't the theater's fault that my experience was ruined, but I'm not about to waste good money trying to watch a movie over a screaming child. Bitching at a mother who brought a baby into a theater would just be a waste of time on an unnecessary confrontation ... if they're stupid enough to do it in the first place, then they're not going to care if I bitch or not.

Movie houses should have rules in place where people can't take babies in ... unless it's a kid's day or something where they're showing a bunch of 'G' movies to a housefull of kids already. A movie theater is no place for an infant ... the speaker systems are just going to freak them out and set them off.

Incidentally, I don't get to the theaters any more because now I have young children of my own.

Traveler albert_sy2 is on a distinguished road

i do not like being scared. but i do love stephen king's books.

i was scared worst by The Shining and Room 1408.... something about hotels creeps me out.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

adrenaline rush baby!

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

i definitely prefer to get the crap scared out of me by books or movies than by anything in reality.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

agreed

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Fear brings us into touch with that primative and animal side of us, that very few encounter on a regular basis

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Also, we indulge our fears for the endorphin release. Another reason is to reassure ourselves that no matter how bad life is now, at least we're not (a) being stalked or tortured by a psychopath, (b) being hunted by or transformed into a monster, or (c) fighting powerful supernatural forces/beings.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Because heretofore our lives have lacked real danger.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    You should try and find "Fire Walk With Me" when you get a chance...it's the "Twin Peaks" movie (remember that series?) and is neck and neck with Naked Lunch as the oddest, most hard to understand, movie I've ever seen.
    dont know if you ever saw picnic at hanging rock but it is up there on the weirdometer

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Most horror movies don't scare me that much. But the Saw series leaves me pretty scared. The way that jigsaw plays games with people, tortures and kills them. That is pretty scary to me.

Along the Path of the Beam 19thNrvsbrkdwn is on a distinguished road 19thNrvsbrkdwn's Avatar

I remember coming down with a cold while I was reading The Stand for the first time. That freaked me out a bit! LOL

But insanity I'd have to say say is what I most fear. There is a history in my family.

Has anyone seen "In the Mouth of Madness" with Sam Neal? I thought that was a pretty weird flick.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

The disturbing stuff scares me. It makes me think of American Psycho. Decent movie, but the scene where he is in bed with the two women, it still creeps me out. The psychos that are too close to reality really freak me out.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh yes. Reality is the most frightening for me too.

Roland would have understood.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast