Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tales of Fairy and Fantasy.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Tales of Fairy and Fantasy.

*What was your favourite fairy tale as a child?

*Is it the same now?

*Do you find looking for good fantasy, as a book genre, to be like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack? Or is there more good stuff out there than you could recommend? (But y'know, give us a few recommendations at least )

*Is there a fairy tale/fantasy story, you'd love to see made into a movie/animated?

*Who's your favourite fantasy illustrator and why?

*Do you like your fairy stories to be grounded in folklore, myths and legends? Or do you consider it to be a genre with no constraints or boundaries?

*If you had 3 wishes...what would they be?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Let me see... good questions darkthoughts, thank you for all of them.

*What was your favourite fairy tale as a child? - I don't think I really had one. I wasn't into fairy tales a lot. (How disappointing, am I right?)

*Is it the same now? - I was in love with Labyrinth, it's still a favourite.

*Do you find looking for good fantasy, as a book genre, to be like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack? Or is there more good stuff out there than you could recommend? (But y'know, give us a few recommendations at least ) - I think we needn't look for good tales, they find us.

*Is there a fairy tale/fantasy story, you'd love to see made into a movie/animated? - I don't think so. If I really like a book I wouldn't like to see it as a movie.

*Who's your favourite fantasy illustrator and why? - Uhhh?

*If you had 3 wishes...what would they be? - I would wish health to my love, I would wish freedom to my mom and I would wish peace to my dad. Yes.

Roland would have understood.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Can I count The Chronicals of narnia?
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

I think so, ATG.

Roland would have understood.

a ghost? a ghost. Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso will become famous soon enough Rjeso's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead

*What was your favourite fairy tale as a child? Little One-Eye, Little Two-Eyes, and Little Three-Eyes.

*Is it the same now? I don't know, I haven't read any fairy tales in a long time.

*Do you find looking for good fantasy, as a book genre, to be like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack? Or is there more good stuff out there than you could recommend? I like a lot of books that other people don't. I'm not bored as easily as a lot of people, so it isn't hard for me to find a new story that I like. I tend to blend sci-fi and fantasy together as one genre, so forgive me if some of these are not strictly fantasy:

* Tad William's Otherland quadrillion
    * Mary Stewart's Merlin trilogy
    * Dennis L. McKiernan's stories that aren't centered around the Iron Tower trilogy, which is strictly a LotR ripoff. The rest of his stuff is fun, though, and it all ties together somehow.
    * Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series
    * Good god, ANYTHING Neil Gaiman
    * Actually, I love anything by Tad Williams. Otherland is just my favorite.

*Is there a fairy tale/fantasy story, you'd love to see made into a movie/animated? I'd love to see Otherland tackled.

*Who's your favourite fantasy illustrator and why? Erm... of course I've always thought Whelan was awesome, ever since I read the Pern series back when I was a kid. I was always pissed when someone else besides him had done a cover, hahaha. I also enjoy Robin Wood's work.

*Do you like your fairy stories to be grounded in folklore, myths and legends? Or do you consider it to be a genre with no constraints or boundaries? Either/or.

*If you had 3 wishes...what would they be? Happiness for everyone, health for everyone, and that neither of those would entail harming other people.
    you're solid gold // i'll see you in hell

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

*What was your favourite fairy tale as a child? The Neverending Story

*Is it the same now? It's hard to choose.

*Do you find looking for good fantasy, as a book genre, to be like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack? Or is there more good stuff out there than you could recommend? (But y'know, give us a few recommendations at least ) Oh no it's a hard hard search to find good fantasy. I've almost completely given up it's so difficult

*Is there a fairy tale/fantasy story, you'd love to see made into a movie/animated? The Dark Tower series

*Who's your favourite fantasy illustrator and why? I don't know...

*Do you like your fairy stories to be grounded in folklore, myths and legends? Or do you consider it to be a genre with no constraints or boundaries?
    It depends on how well the author writes. If they can't explain to me what's going on, so I understand, I don't want to read either. But I do tend to lean towards the former.

Good luck.
    Good luck for my loved ones.
    Help in getting my book typed and published.

Gunslinger Apprentice LemurJones is on a distinguished road

I think the last person to post here is actually a spam creation!

But, lookit.

The Talisman. ... What, I was 8. That's a child still.

*Is it the same now?
    Yah.

*Do you find looking for good fantasy, as a book genre, to be like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack? Or is there more good stuff out there than you could recommend? (But y'know, give us a few recommendations at least )
    I really like Holly Black's Modern Faery books. There's only three and they're supposedly "young adult" but they have a lot of cussing and I'm sure that I never read a book about doing drugs after you catch your mom having the sex with your boyfriend in a "young adult" book. Also they're literally fairy tales.

*Is there a fairy tale/fantasy story, you'd love to see made into a movie/animated?
    I'd wait in line for a good trilogy for Black's Tithe, Valiant, and Ironside.

Um... I dunno. Me. Probably me.

I like them grounded in folklore, myths, and legends, because that way they feel more real to me.

1. Superpowers. I'm not kidding.
    2. A job that means I can take care of my kid and family by myself if I have to.
    3. Hrrmm... less body awkwardness. That way I'd be a better dancer and swimmer, and wouldn't fall down so much.

Au Naturale theBeamisHome is on a distinguished road theBeamisHome's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Fascinating..

*What was your favourite fairy tale as a child? The Snow Queen. I have a book of Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales and I read that one a lot. At least I think that's right

*Is it the same now? Well.. I haven't read any fairy tales in a while so I gues so

*Do you find looking for good fantasy, as a book genre, to be like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack? Or is there more good stuff out there than you could recommend? (But y'know, give us a few recommendations at least ) I really don't search for much fantasy stuff although I think i may start to... i don't imagine there are that many tho.

*Is there a fairy tale/fantasy story, you'd love to see made into a movie/animated? Eyes of the Dragon

*Who's your favourite fantasy illustrator and why? I really don't know any.. perhaps the Wheldon guy from the DT books?

*Do you like your fairy stories to be grounded in folklore, myths and legends? Or do you consider it to be a genre with no constraints or boundaries? I think I'm more partial to those with backgrounds in folklore and whatnot, but I do believe there aren't really any boundaries for the genre.

*If you had 3 wishes...what would they be? 1. Be out of debt forever 2. Have complete wisdom and knowledge 3. Live happily ever after... (not sure number 2 and 3 can go together tho.... maybe i'd have to with 2 first and then 3 later (losing some knowledge probably) to make that work)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wild Swans
    The Blue Beard. ("Soeur Anne, ne vois-tu rien venir?" - this line still haunts me)

my favorite books were Mary Poppins and both Carrol's Alice books (in translation, but the translation was great), but I am afraid they don't count as fairy tales, and neither does Winnie-the-Pooh

*Is it the same now?

yes

very small needle in a very fat haystack
    I could recommend one guy, but as far as I know he's never been translated from Russian (Alexander Bushkov). Anyway, he is no more "fantasy" than King is "horror": one is King, and the other is Bushkov, that's all.

Movie - none; animated - any; it would be beautiful.

n/a. I hardly ever get books with pictures, and when I do, I forget to look. Bears are very poor at looking.

I hate it when it is clearly seen that the author took his inspiration from the big Lore and Myths of the World Dictionary, and that seems to be the case all the time

to die a happy Christian death when my time comes
    not to outlive my wife and closest friends
    to get rid of my phobia I don't want to talk about

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

I only enjoyed Chicken little when I was small *shrug*

My MOM read the story with "voices"

Chicken Little, henny Penny , Cocky Locky , Goosey Gander,
    do you know these?

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Gunslinger Apprentice MrsSmeej is on a distinguished road MrsSmeej's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Favorite Fairy Tale as a Child? I had a big, old, illustrated version of the Brothers Grimm fairy tales that I pored over as a child. I don't think I could pick a favorite.
    Still the same? Still couldn't pick my favorite, but I do love fairy tales.
    Genre? I've actually had a lot of luck with reading in this genre. I must agree with the Tad Williams recommendations. He is a fabulous author. I've also enjoyed early Raymond Feist, Robert Jordan before he started writing the same tired phrases over and over... Maybe up until about book 4 of his World of Time series, Melanie Rawn, Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series, Peter David and his Sir Apropos of Nothing, Pratchett and the Discworld, Adams and The Hitchhiker's Guide books... Many, many more.
    Movies? No thanks.
    Illustrator? Old school for me - Frank Frazetta.
    Based on folklore and myth? Sometimes. I really enjoyed a book called Beauty that was the standard fairy tales told from the Wicked Witch's point of view.
    Three wishes? World Peace, Global Harmony and three more wishes.

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

*What was your favourite fairy tale as a child? i loved the real classics...where the little mermaid cuts her tail in half to become legs and every step she takes on land is like dancing on knives...and the cinderella where the step sisters cut off bits of their feet to jam them into the slipper. "prithee look back, there's blood on the track."

*Is it the same now? i wish i still had those books, yeah.

*Do you find looking for good fantasy, as a book genre, to be like searching for the proverbial needle in the haystack? Or is there more good stuff out there than you could recommend? (But y'know, give us a few recommendations at least ) war for the oaks by emma bull the borderlands collaborations.

*Is there a fairy tale/fantasy story, you'd love to see made into a movie/animated? i've been waiting for 15 years for the thief of always.

*Who's your favourite fantasy illustrator and why? too hard to choose.

anything goes.

that someone else could have my wishes. too much pressure.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sarajean View Post

*Is there a fairy tale/fantasy story, you'd love to see made into a movie/animated? i've been waiting for 15 years for the thief of always.
    Me too!

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

+ Reply to Thread